United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Covert Action
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28047

Fun WWish game. Played it F2F one night.

Summary of Play:

1. There are three public teams of three players each.
2. Within each team are four possible roles (see descriptions below): Sniper, Cleaner, Bodyguard, and Mole (from another team).
3. One team wins when their Sniper (or Cleaner, see below) kills another team's Sniper or a Mole that is publicly on their team.
4. A player kills by saying Shoot: playername in bold letters.
5. All discussion is public. No players have chat rooms.
6. If one team shoots the shooter and target are revealed. If it is successful, than the shooting team wins. If not, then the shooting team is eliminated from posting/play for that round and the other two teams continue.
7. All players who win a round, get a random letter, P, L, A, or N. Roles are then re-randomized and another round begins. First player to get all four letters wins the game.

Role Detail:

Sniper - The Sniper's goal is to kill another team's Sniper, or kill the Mole on their own "team" - or more specifically, public team. And the Sniper does not want to get shot.

Cleaner
- The Cleaner tries to get shot to protect the team's Sniper. However, the Cleaner must also try to kill another team's Sniper or the Mole on their own public team if the Sniper is not available to the team (one role for each team is not in the game for each round). However, if the Cleaner shoots and kills - even if successful - and the Sniper is in the game, they lose the round. If a Cleaner successfully kills another Sniper, while their own Sniper is in the game, then the third team automatically wins. If this scenario involves the Mole, then play continues between the other two teams.

Bodyguard - This role exists solely to get shot and protect the Sniper, or its team's Mole that is on another public team.

Mole
- The Mole is playing for another team. It only wins when its team wins. If the public team that it's on wins, then it loses.

*Mole Note: Each Mole will have a specific team it will be privately playing for, instead of just playing for its public team to lose. It can only win if its team wins - even if the team its playing for loses.

Game Setup:

Daily Start Time - 3 PM.
Shot Resolution - Done by players. Reveal by posting in blue.
Next Round - will be prepared by next day's start time. Thus, only one round per day.

Since this game has a "whoever can do it first" resolution, I recommend people who play be available around the start time or at least shortly thereafter. I can change the start time if need be.

Strong participation will be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
ctrzn
GrimJester
kristiefix
mdp4828
Xandryyte

5 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/2759...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:

Maybe this will work without chat rooms, I don't know. My first instinct was to have chat rooms though. At BGG.con I know I did a lot of communication secretly, with just a look, or a motion, or by reading lips. Maybe you could have chat rooms with the players "sitting next to you" in some hypothetical seating order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Maybe this will work without chat rooms, I don't know. My first instinct was to have chat rooms though. At BGG.con I know I did a lot of communication secretly, with just a look, or a motion, or by reading lips. Maybe you could have chat rooms with the players "sitting next to you" in some hypothetical seating order.

Good idea. Probably some sort of limited chat would be cool.

When I played, there was a lot of "covert" hinting too. That needs to somehow be a part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This looks fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot: db

Wha?? He was the Mole!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy
United States

Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Ha! you sir will be my Meta vote for killing me when I was your sorc in the Con game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that strong participation is needed... and usually that isn't a problem, but it depends on when this actually starts. I'll go ahead and sign up, it should be OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kristiefix wrote:
I notice that strong participation is needed... and usually that isn't a problem, but it depends on when this actually starts. I'll go ahead and sign up, it should be OK.

I hope it starts next week.

Strong participation is necessary not becaue it's a heavy game, but because each day's resolutions hinges on a player's choice not a deadline. It's somewhat of a race for each team. It's not really a vote and leave kind of deal.

It's fun, I think you'll like it. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely a good time.

I read that the creator wanted to solve a couple problems from WW - player elimination and being a villager having no abilities. I like the villager role in WW, but I understand the powerlessness that some feel. Apparently, he did too, and this is what he came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
kristiefix wrote:

I hope it starts next week.

Strong participation is necessary not becaue it's a heavy game, but because each day's resolutions hinges on a player's choice not a deadline. It's somewhat of a race for each team. It's not really a vote and leave kind of deal.

It's fun, I think you'll like it. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely a good time.

I read that the creator wanted to solve a couple problems from WW - player elimination and being a villager having no abilities. I like the villager role in WW, but I understand the powerlessness that some feel. Apparently, he did too, and this is what he came up with.

I have a question... All players who win a round, get a random letter, P, L, A, or N. Roles are then re-randomized and another round begins. First player to get all four letters wins the game.

Does the mole get a letter with its real team or with its fake one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kristiefix wrote:
I have a question... All players who win a round, get a random letter, P, L, A, or N. Roles are then re-randomized and another round begins. First player to get all four letters wins the game.

Does the mole get a letter with its real team or with its fake one?

Real team. Private team, not public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

When I played, there was a lot of "covert" hinting too. That needs to somehow be a part.

Hmmmm. So do you know at all who is on your team, or is this all guesswork?

Maybe we can sit in a circle like the con games or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kristiefix wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
dbmurph22 wrote:

Hmmmm. So do you know at all who is on your team, or is this all guesswork?

Maybe we can sit in a circle like the con games or something.

At the start of the round, all the public teams will be known.

The real game is like this. With 3 teams you deal 1 card to each player, and there is 3 different color cardbacks. Right off, each player sees who is on their team - ie same color cardbacks. 1 of each cardback color is thrown away for the round. Therefore, there are 4 possible roles for each color (Sniper, Cleaner, Bodyguard, Mole), but only 3 are dealt.

The two basic choices that confront each team once they look at the card colors and realize who they're with is to either try to get another team's sniper before they get shot or try to find a possible mole in their own team and have their sniper shoot them. Another tough matter is that if the Sniper is the discard for that team, then the Cleaner must take the shot, but if the Cleaner takes the shot and the Sniper is not a discard then the team loses. If the Cleaner and Sniper are too overt in making this connection, then obviously someone from another team is going to shoot the Sniper.

I actually have only played with 2 teams. It was easy in terms of the Mole. When one color won, the Mole with the other color won, and the Mole on the team that won, lost. If that blanket concept was applied with 3, then only 1 Mole would lose each round, since in each round 2 teams would lose, and thus 2 Moles would win. That makes it too beneficial to getting a Mole role. You would have a 2/3 chance of getting a PLAN card. Thus, the Moles will be color specific, privately - and obviously color specific publicly as usual.

That's a lot to digest, but it's a pretty simple game once you got all of it in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.