Subject: Playtime rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mateusz Wilk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am after a few first games of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, and while I think it's a truly great game, I cannot help but think that the playtime of 150 minutes indicated on the box is greatly underestimated. All my games were between 4 and 5 hours and I wonder if it's just me and my opponents or if the game is just much longer than 2,5 hours. What are your experiences? Thanks for sharing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from my own experience, 2.5 to 3 hours is a good estimate. However, I am usually able to play games more quickly than the stated time (except big box Fantasy Flight stuff ), which would indicate that Hannibal can indeed take longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Male
United Kingdom
Woburn Sands
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree 2-3 hours is typical.
If the game goes to turn 9 and has numerous battles it may be a bit longer, but it can end quickly, particularly if Hannibal overstretches in Italy or Carthage is successfully besieged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first full game took 10 hours, but then I usually have to double what's printed on the box, even after we "know" a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first time clocked in at 5 hours after with my opponent conceed (it was 1 am at the time). The second time also with a new opponent (my brilliant 9 year old daughter) took about 6 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Wilk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies. I think that the length of my games might, at least partially, be due to the fact that I am yet to see an automatic victory and the fall of Rome or Carthage. All of the games under my belt lasted the full 9 turns with lots of battles (the later the turn, the greater the number of battles was).
Still, I know I'm being somewhat nitpicky, but I tend to think that it would be better if the info on the duration of a full game (ie. 9 turns) were indicated on the box. It's a minor complaint, though, as even if a particular game does last 4 or 5 hours, it's a very well spent time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think 4-5 hours is about right esp if there are a lot of battles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the opposite experience.

Our first game took about 5 hours.

But, our second game took just a little over two hours and we were thinking the time was over stated. That with experienced players, we were thinking it was easily doable in 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 5 hours here. I suppose too many battles? Then again the battles are my favorite part. I wish it played in 3 hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.