United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
athmok wrote:

I have read lots of comments about how the game is too simple with not enough meat, but I think that is what makes it strong. There is not much to really get down (besides what all the equipment does) and there is a lot of room for variants and customizing (A feature I am enjoying from Fantasy Flight games I have played and own).

I couldn't agree more. The game's simplicity is it's strength. It's like playing a miniature's game without the need for a large rulebook or purchasing terrain or painting minis. Fun stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it is a fun simple game. My only two complaints are:

1) There is only currently one double sided board. This will limit replayability. Even adding a second double sided board does not increase the playability significantly. OK, for the math geeks, I am aware that it effectively doubles it, however just doubling it is not enough.

2) The circle pathfinding system. I would have prefered either squares or hexes, the circles just limit replayability. Yes they solve arguments over who can see what, but really I don't play with folks who argue about such things.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain machine
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you play Story Mode or Scenarios, I don't think Tannhäuser is so simple game or it hasn't meat.

Our story games are between 1 hour and a half and 2 hours. 90% ends when one player complete hir objetives (usualy we still have 2/3 men alive).

When you begin to play Tannhäuser everybody dies quickly. Later, you learn to play, to use your skills, not to do "suicide" actions, to attack and to come back, to put your men in safe places, to try new combos, etc, etc. Then, Tannhäuser seems a new game.

Unfortunately a lot of reviews present this game as a killer. There is lethality, but if you know to play it is not so high as usually presented.

About replayability, you can play Scenarios (you have official or fan scenarios) or you can create your own scenarios. Also you can change the place of objetives (use action circles) or you can try different packs, combos, modes of play, to use the new free tokens, etc.

I think this game has a high replayability, even without the Novgorod expansion.

About the circle pathfinding system, the only problem we had was when there are similar colors (red/pink) in close paths. I think they could have chose more different colors when they are close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding member of Meeples Anonymous
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is wonderful to read. My husband and I are stalking the FLGS looking for a copy of Tannhäuser, and hearing that it is just as good as any of Fantasy Flight's other games is welcome news. Nothing wrong at all with a game having a high degree of lethality. With so many games today revolving around trading goods, or building settlements, or any one of a number of other quietly calm pursuits, I'm pleased to hear of a game where dying is quite possible, and quite frequent. It gives me that little hit of fear that thrills me when I play.

Out of all the gaming companies this relative newbie has been introduced to, I have to say that Fantasy Flight is my favourite, with Days of Wonder in a close second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I don't like about this game is the required number of units, the 4v4 aspect. My group tends to prefer 1 character per player, and so this game gets passed a lot

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The only thing I don't like about this game is the required number of units, the 4v4 aspect. My group tends to prefer 1 character per player, and so this game gets passed a lot

-shnar

So maybe your group would be one of the few that could enjoy this as 10 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is the first time I have posted on here and just to say that I bought Tannhauser the other day and love the mechanics of it but have a question; Do you know why the mental ability goes up when the Union guys get wounded rather than the other way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
athmok wrote:
shnar wrote:
The only thing I don't like about this game is the required number of units, the 4v4 aspect.

You mean 5v5.

You wouldnt have to follow that rule would you if you were playing Deathmatch or CTF would you? I think those you can modify that anyway you like to suit the number of players.

I havent played this game yet but its still high on my list because my non board gaming friends are interested in the setting and the CTF mode, Ive already modded the rules to where each 3 (two people each) groups play with a figure a piece, playing a different team (you dont have to keep sides in those modes IMO), also have a timer so it provides a little more urgency.

I have to say I too love FF's open ended customization, I also have Dust by them (think Taunnhauser on the World Scale) and its awesome in its ability to be modded and added to. All the best, Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you want to play with differnt numbers of figures, then go ahead! Nothing stopping you playing a deathmatch game with one figure per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.