United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to not use both my huts during the game, usually using the 2nd one only to use it up near the end. So that got me thinking...

At the start of the game, give each player the option to use a hut for their scoring track marker instead of one of their regular meeples.

Will report back how this plays when we get a chance to play it this way.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it would be too much of an advantage to have the extra guy. At most, you're going to get about 20 points or so for a well-placed hut. If you can cycle your extra guy through a pair of 3-tile forests and a river or two throughout the game, you've got your points and some to spare. Would be a bit of extra work, maybe, but seems like it would be the better decision. Still, the risk-reward dilemma of going with the big-points hut or the multiple small-points hunter-gatherer would make for an interesting decision at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An extra worker is too much. What makes H&G different from the basic Carc is the tighter worker management. Effective use and accurate planning with good timing are assumed in H&G.

One extra worker would just make H&G back to the very casual Carc age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The frustration of not having quite enough meeples is part of the fun, but I'm curious to read your findings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a player of many games of H&G I'll express a contrary view. Our huts are frequently our biggest scorers, and much battling goes on for supremacy in the rivers. A player with only one hut may find themselves at a big disadvantage.

I agree meeple-scarcity is an excellent feature of H&G.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The Hut scoring is very significant and fierce in our games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreeing with those who like the two huts deal. We have our fiercest confrontations with the huts, and who is going to glom onto whose river system first, etc etc.

On the other hand, we both somehow always have more than enough workers. Husband often ends the game with two or more unused workers (don't ask me why). Workers are not in short supply here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
cgund wrote:
On the other hand, we both somehow always have more than enough workers. Husband often ends the game with two or more unused workers (don't ask me why). Workers are not in short supply here.

Sounds like wasted workers... I always find a critter or two near game end to turn a worker into a hunter.

I must say I'm surprised at how many of you have such high point river systems. Folks are only scoring 1 point per fish in their huts river system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
cgund wrote:

Sounds like wasted workers... I always find a critter or two near game end to turn a worker into a hunter.

I must say I'm surprised at how many of you have such high point river systems. Folks are only scoring 1 point per fish in their huts river system?

Oh, yes, the unused workers are wasted, to be sure. I think he just always wants to have some in reserve, and then the game's over and he's sitting there with 2 or 3 "in reserve". Usually prolly more like 1 or 2, but still.

It's not that the river systems are necessarily high points, but they're high enough to represent the difference between winner and loser. Our games are usually quite close and the river systems come in handy during final scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Yup. You might get into the teens for a river system you stole from someone and kept building on. From time to time a field might make it into the twenties, but mostly we manage to either mutually occupy any really high scoring fields and/or close of our opponents' promising ones. But those river systems often seem harder to dead-end.

Edit: Partly... because there are only two huts and they can't move, we tend not to place huts until there's a few fish AND a few open ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I think the reason there are 2 huts is not so much that you really want 2 in every game, but so that there is the possibilitiy of trumping someone's hut on a river system. If you have only 1 hut you can't double up and deny someone the fish they counted on for the end game scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Myers
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who doesn't want their huts can mail them to me. I would love to have the pieces. I'm willing to buy or trade or what have you. Perhaps I could trade some standard meeples fFor your huts? Or maybe you just don't want them and will give them fFree? (Or, since I work in a sign print shop, I have been known to print and laminate gaming and player aids fFor people)

Drop me a message and I'll give you my mailing address. I don't know what the dollar value on such a thing would be, but we can work out a price.

Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huts Rock, with out them we ae closer to Carc and this is different, yet good.

with only 1 hut the other guy just has to trump you and you get nothing. Or he can always take part in a big river system that you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.