Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK,

So I've been at a new role & company for two months. Everyone seems a nice group & I've recently thought about trying to get one or two of them interested in trying a game or two at lunchtimes...

My question is; what's the best way of doing this? I thought about circulating an e-mail, trying to make it sound interesting & fun, giving a few snips of what there is around & how it fares so much better junk like Monopoly & other condemned fares.

Thought I could give a few titles & a brief summary... any ideas?

Thanks

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same position as you a year back, I was desperate to get some gaming in over lunch and had an opponent in mind.

I brought in Lost Cites and asked if they wanted to play. After a couple of games we were both keen to play it again.

After that we found BSW and our lunch hour would be spent playing several different games mainly Ingenious and Lost Cities.

Recently I bought Hive and that been played a fair few times over the last week, its a great little two player game thats very portable.

I think you can't go wrong with bringing in a game that looks good and has pieces with a bit of a "look at me" factor. Then get one or two people interested in a quick game and see what happens from there.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a job at a game company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take in a copy of Busen-Memo....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try bringing in a game that can be played solitaire and play with yourself at lunch. It's sure to attract some questions. More so than just having a game box sitting there. Off the top of my head, I can think of these games that have solitaire variants:

Oceania
Ingenious
Blokus
Carcassonne
Hunters & Gatherers
Pickomino
Metro
Pizza Box Football
Boggle/Word Yahtzee/Yahtzee/etc.

There are many others. Those are just the ones I own. Good luck!

EDIT: I see you own Polarity. That'll get some attention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
Try bringing in a game that can be played solitaire and play with yourself at lunch. It's sure to attract some questions.

Ingenious
Blokus
Carcassonne
Hunters & Gatherers

I see you own Polarity. That'll get some attention!

How do you play those ones solitaire? Haven't seen any solo variants?

Cheers,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious and Blokus both have solo variants published with the rules themselves. Check the last page of both rulebooks. They're in there.

Carcassonne solo rules are here: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=6840

H&G variant is similar, butI can't seem to find them at the moment. I'll keep looking.

I haven't actually tried those rules yet, so I'm not sure how good/bad they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I got my colleagues playing was Diplomacy, would you believe!

I moderated a game playing one turn/week. It worked out quite nicely - lots of discussions around the tea room and lunchtime plotting.

That said, I've been here a long time - most of the players were people I had known for several years (so they were already more like "friends" than just "colleagues") - plus they're all computer geeks to boot, with a few with history of RPGs, computer strategy games, etc. , so they were never going to be averse to the idea of a boardgame anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does your workplace have an active social scene or formal Sports and Social Club? Just gone through mine at work and it looks like I'll be arranging an evening at a local public house (private room all paid for too) and their even considering buying some games. Must admit I'll probably be looking for further hints and tips on how to run it myself soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Polarity is a good place to start. It's easy to learn, quick to play, and most importantly, people walking by will be intrigued by those 'floating' magnets.

Also, see if you can find any XBox Live players who have maybe seen Catan or Carcassonne, and would be interested in playing the 'real' thing.

Now go and buy yourself a 'Gaming Crusader' microbadge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jethro wrote:
Does your workplace have an active social scene or formal Sports and Social Club? Just gone through mine at work and it looks like I'll be arranging an evening at a local public house (private room all paid for too) and their even considering buying some games. Must admit I'll probably be looking for further hints and tips on how to run it myself soon.

If theres a few people attending, then the first tip would be to invite others who can teach games. Otherwise, you'll be a very busy chappy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
I thought about circulating an e-mail

My own preference would be direct contact with a couple of likely candidates. Later that might attract attention from others and merit a wider announcement.

Conversational gambit #1: Do you do crossword puzzles or something? THis is just another type of problem solving for fun.

Conversational gambit #2: Chess is completely skill/knowledge (and you tire of/fear trying). Monopoly is almost entirely luck (and you're bored). Euro games gain adult appreciation by coming in between the extremes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mille Bornes was the game of choice at my last position. We had huge participation in that. Everybody wanted in on the games and we were able to play a complete game during the lunch hour. Might I also suggest Tsuro. It is simple to teach, easy to transport and set up, and beautiful to look at. And, it can accommodate a crowd of up to 8 players. I have had great success introducing others to the hobby using this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toasty wrote:
jethro wrote:

If theres a few people attending, then the first tip would be to invite others who can teach games. Otherwise, you'll be a very busy chappy

I'm hoping for about 15 - 20 guests and there is a fellow BGG regular who I may call upon or even my better half who happily plays along with most of my games (lucky me), and she may be able to help out (maybe even brownie points for a night out together).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
tonksey wrote:
I thought about circulating an e-mail

My own preference would be direct contact with a couple of likely candidates. Later that might attract attention from others and merit a wider announcement.
Yes, get two people to play a 3 person game...others will join in. with those "guys playing crazy board games at lunch".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring in some games and have them lying around in your office/cube. Maybe have a poster or desktop of a game graphic. I have the Lost Cities desktop on my PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I did it this way...

I told some of the people in my group about these games and they were intrigued. So I sent them a link in an email to this website for reiteration and further explanation which I couldn't do better:

http://www.tragsnart.co.uk/gamehub/german/german.htm

This has everything. The wits, the description, the different types, the pictures, close-ups and all of it written in such a way that makes you want to say: I want to try this!!

Then I just sent an announcement to everyone that I'll be doing a board game meetup at the end of the work day in such a way, that I'd bring ONE and each time different game every week from my collection and we'll play that game. And this meetup would be once a week.

It's been 2 months now and we've been meeting regularly every week. Not everyone has time or will to stay past work time. But since it's only once a week, people feel it's ok and they don't feel pressed or obliged. And what's more important, they like the games. And so far I've brought a variety of them like:

- Settlers of the Stone Age
- Dos Rios
- Razzia!
- Domaine
- San Juan
- Alhambra, or
- Goldland

And one game is usually enough, sometimes two, if it's a short game. People feel, 1 or 2 extra hours are ok. And I usually meet with 2 to 4 people, so it's always a nice group.

I think for the most part it's that link above that did it for them.

Good luck with getting others introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Nelson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greengow wrote:

This has everything. The wits, the description, the different types, the pictures, close-ups and all of it written in such a way that makes you want to say: I want to try this!!.....Good luck with getting others introduced.

Great link. I've bookmarked it to use on other unsuspecting future gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlekeylime wrote:
greengow wrote:

This has everything. The wits, the description, the different types, the pictures, close-ups and all of it written in such a way that makes you want to say: I want to try this!!.....Good luck with getting others introduced.

Great link. I've bookmarked it to use on other unsuspecting future gamers.

That's my site! Blimey, if people are still looking at that, I'd better update it.

That's cheered me up, I am pleased it's proving useful.

Cheers,
jon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Jon, I don't think it needs updating. It's great intro to the world of german games just the way it is, IMHO.

Great site. I had quite a few people reading it and saying, wow, I didn't know these games existed. I like the humor at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
At my work, I've been getting my coworkers into gaming through one of the normal means - gateways games. I brought in a copy of "No Thanks" and asked a few of them if they wanted to try a game one day. They all liked it, thought it was different, and were receptive to new games I've since brought in. Now people look excitedly look forward to "game Thursday" and remind me on Wednesday not to forget to bring something. Pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.