Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there material differences b/w the IT rules and the 5K rules or do the 5K rules simply add more (I see Agenda cards, which may be new)? Just trying to determine if I try out this game with an IT starter if I'll have to "unlearn" anything if I start playing with 5K cards.

(Btw, I've always been intrigued by this game (big fan of the books and have read many favorable comments about the game) but avoided it as a CCG. The upcoming L(iving)CG format has intrigued me and, more importantly, may allow me to convince one or two friends to make the plunge with me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fundamentally, they are the same rules. That can be said from the very first starter from Westeros to the present cards. The biggest differences are the sets emphasis. Each new set has certain keyword/icon triggers that are different or new from previous sets. Those might take a few times to get used to between IT and 5K sets but they generally aren't the major pieces of the game. No matter what, you are still trying to get 15 to 20 power using intrigue, military and political challenges.

Honestly the LCG format is intriguing to me as well. I had pulled back from CCGs because of the constant financial drain. The LCG format looks to give a chance at still having a developing game while not having to spend $150-$200 every other month. The new format might just get me back fully invested in to this game.

Do give this game a try though. Its one of the best CCGs that I have played and is incredible as a multi-player game as well. It meshes nicely with the world GRRM has created and is just plain fun.

Hope you enjoy the experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Clark
United States
Fridley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All editions and sets of the A Game of Thrones CCG (and now LCG) are compatible. The rules do not change between editions; they evolve.

That makes no sense, I suspect. Put another way: all the old rules you remember from Iron Throne Edition are still in full effect. Five Kings Edition adds seven new keywords and puts a new twist on Agendas, which debuted in an earlier set (Valyrian Edition, if I remember correctly).

Each new set explores new and different mechanics - that's the point of new sets, after all. Each new edition has new rules, but they add to, rather than replace, previous rules. Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGoRed wrote:
Are there material differences b/w the IT rules and the 5K rules or do the 5K rules simply add more (I see Agenda cards, which may be new)? Just trying to determine if I try out this game with an IT starter if I'll have to "unlearn" anything if I start playing with 5K cards.

There were a few major changes in the way the rules work between ITE and 5KE, but they were largely on an FAQ, or ruling level. Certainly nothing you would notice just playing the decks out of the starter.

Honestly, I think the ITE starter is the *much* better way to go. 5KE is not newbie friendly because it has a bunch of new keywords that all work differently and are a pain in the butt to try to remember. I started this game about 6 months ago and trust me, ITE is the way to go. I wish I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for the quick responses (and I'd love to hear more observations). Chris, I was starting to think I should get the 5K starter since it is the newest one and presumably the LCG decks will build off of it, but your post has me rethinking that and I may stick with my initial plan to pick up the IT starter. I also need to check out the free Raven program as it looks like someone has created both the IT and 5K starter decks for playing on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Throne was a great set, and the only reason to pick up the 5KE starter instead would be the new Agendas, which aren't necessary--especially for someone just starting. The new keywords are interesting, but they really don't add much to gameplay except complexity, and most aren't fleshed out enough to even build decks around (except for Infamy). So I agree with everyone else: go with Iron Throne.

BTW, my favorite site for buying AGOT cards is kwyjibokardz.com. Not only does Jeff stock commons and uncommons in addition to rares, but every once in a while, when he gets new shipments in, he will sell common/uncommon sets. These are a great way to get a bunch of useful cards for a low price.

Good luck with your decision, there is no wrong way to start playing if you have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Kwyjibo still has a few sets in stock, you can see them here:
http://www.kwyjibokardz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CT...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukas, thanks for pointing me to Kwyjibo. I picked up some commons and uncommon lots from the recent sets to go along with the IRE starter and legacy pack I ordered from CCGArmory. If I ever get to play this game, it should be great. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.