Subject: Snowspeeders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen McGarel
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools

I notice there are very few rules threads. Does this mean there are other places people are going for rules questions? Or do people just buy the figures for the collectability? In my own case, I know its pretty bad because my 8 year old son has asked me every day this week as I come in the door whether I bought any new Star Wars figures! But, I digress....

Overall, I think the game mechanics are good for this game and they give a good "feel" for the figure to figure combat you see in the movie.

When I tried a larger scenario with the snow speeder it seemed to be way too weak. In a head-to-head battle with an AT-ST they are likely to lose every time. I think there Defense value should be considerably higher to account for their high movement rates. Based on the movie, we know it is not supposed to penetrate the armour on the AT-AT "That armour's too thick for blasters" but based on plane versus tank warfare in WWII the snow speeder seems too weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that most people really into SWM (like I was a year or 2 ago) would go to the Wizards of the Coast's website for rules and erratas. It would be the best place to discuss this game, and it was fairly active when I was visiting a while ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bit of a delayed response...

Personally I've been posting here, even though the wizards site does have a very good and healty/active forum, the topics there are a bit more specific to only the most competitive teams and meta, and the most current sets. I decided to keep my posts here as there are few fan sites outside of the wizards forums that actually has maintained itself throughout the years, if any (please let me know if you know of any beyond the holocron).

Anyhow, to the topic at hand -- definitely the snowspeeders are a bit underpowered even in the normal game. They treated them almost as if they were "creatures" and not fast vehicles. They should definitely have a much higher defense if not only for their speed.

Although, I don't recall the movie that well, but weren't they quite fragile to AT-AT fire? I thought only Luke and a Wedge's speeders survived?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbergen wrote:

Although, I don't recall the movie that well, but weren't they quite fragile to AT-AT fire? I thought only Luke and a Wedge's speeders survived?

Speeder's didn't fair well against AT-AT cannon fire. Luke's speeder was crushed underfoot by an AT-AT. Nice plot mechanism to get him on the ground to gut the AT-AT with his lightsaber.

I don't recall if Wedge was on Hoth or not... must re-watch..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewjhoskins wrote:
I don't recall if Wedge was on Hoth or not... must re-watch..

Yes, he piloted the speeder that tripped the AT-AT with the tow cable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.