Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Introduction:
My girlfriend's sister gave this to her because she didn't want it and besides having the shrinkwrap off, the game was in pristine unplayed condition. I probably should have sold it online as mint unpunched on Ebay and label it as a lost ASL module. The module would probably add some kind of dive bombers to the game.

Anyways, what you actually get is a clever trivia/word game that is surprisingly difficult for the audience it appears to be targeting.

Components:
The game comes in a massive box that should be about the quarter of the size it is. Unfortunately in the world of party games, the bigger the box the more likely it is that it will sell. The insert is well designed and holds all of the components in place with no rattling around.

It comes with a box of game cards which are double sided and are of high enough quality that they will last through several games. There are also 10 number cards which correspond to the numbers of the clues on the game cards.

Also included is a one minute timer, a wipeable scoreboard, and a dry erase marker. The marker wipes off a little too easily and tends to leave a thick stain on your hands so I would recommend using a Kleenex.

Rules:
The object of the game is to be the first team to 50+ points after both teams have been able to go an equal number of times. If both teams are over, then high score wins.

A teams turn consists of reading the word at the top of the card and then starting the timer. The reader will then read the clues in order while his/her teammates guess the answer. If they cannot get the answer, then they pass to the next clue but they cannot return to previous clues. After they reach the end of the card or the timer is up, the opposing team gets to attempt all unanswered clues including those that were passed. The opposing team is only allowed one guess before it is counted wrong and non one gets it. Both teams score one point for each correct answer and then the teams switch sides.

The number cards are included to keep track of the answered questions. This is actually a rather neat feature as it makes it a lot easier to keep track of which clues have already been answered.

Thoughts:
The main game basis is actually rather well designed, but it is significantly more challenging than the average party game questions. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I couldn't answer all of the clues as I had expected to.

The game while entertaining does not create a sense that you immediately want to play it again. This would be a game I wouldn't mind breaking out every once in a while if the right crowd was present.

The only complaint I have is when certain words can be used as a noun/verb and they pick phrases where it is sometimes dropped from as the verb. There were also several cases where somebody guessed an answer that made complete sense but was not correct.

5/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. Your feelings are very similar to mine. One of the girls I manage brought this in for me, for Christmas, and we whipped it out for one of our game nights. Everyone enjoyed it. Not the best of our trivia party games, but we did enjoy it. I also gave it a 5 out of 10. There are other games I woudl get out before Buzz Words but I would never be annoyed if someone suggested it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.