Popular Tags: [View All]
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my guess, playing this, that this game is "solved", with an optimal unbeatable strategy.

Am I mistaken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the Allied Player must use British Paratroopers (Combat Value 4 per Brigade) to take Arnhem as opposed to US Paratrooper (Combat Value of 3 per regiment). Using US units permits the Germans to get higher column attack on their first turn. If the right numbers are rolled the Germans can occupy Arnhem with units the 30th Corps cannot damage faster than they can be resupplied even with the best luck.

As far as totally solved, I would be interested to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious, which side is the guaranteed winner in your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Adams
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear it too, because of all the "across bridge" and "across canal" fighting that has to be done at Nijmegen and then Arnhem--you can easily end up at 1.5:1 on the CRT. Roll some 6's and you'll never punch through.

Even if it looks like the Allies are rolling through, the win condition for the Germans is such that they only need to occupy one spot on the road--if they still have some of the 9SS and 10SS, or even 107Panzer, they get the last move on the last impulse, and might be able to punch in. Their offmap movement lets them get south pretty quickly if they need to attempt this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as Dice are involved, I can't see this being "Solved" as much as optimized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I know that the Allied Player must use British Paratroopers (Combat Value 4 per Brigade) to take Arnhem as opposed to US Paratrooper (Combat Value of 3 per regiment). Using US units permits the Germans to get higher column attack on their first turn. If the right numbers are rolled the Germans can occupy Arnhem with units the 30th Corps cannot damage faster than they can be resupplied even with the best luck.

As far as totally solved, I would be interested to hear.

Well, the British were tasked to take Arnhem, so I suppose that's a subtle way to encourage the player to make the historical choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
As long as Dice are involved, I can't see this being "Solved" as much as optimized.

I agree 100%. With competent German play, it's very tough to win as the Allies, but that makes it all the more satisfying if you pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game three times, but it has seemed to me and my opponents that IF the german player manages to get the reinforcing tank unit arriving from the north after a few turns to the other side of the bridge near Nijmegen, and stack it with a few other german units, you can easily end up with a situation where the allies have no theoretical chance of winning no matter how good they roll. It may be however that a competent allied player should not allow this happen, and that there is a good counter-strategy we haven't thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:

I don't know if a luck-based game has been solved ever. It wouldn't be much different from finding an optimal plan for one, and keep searching until you find one with 100 % chance of success even with worst possible die-rolls (except possibly easier, since I think as soon as you find a state where there is a tiny chance of failure you can stop looking). Unless a player comes up with a plan by chance, you'd need a BIG computer to help you search for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Sadowski
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's my strategy & how I drop the Allied AB when I play.

Turn 1 Impulse 1
101st AB DZ supply in 503, one 101st unit dropped in 703, 303, and 503.
82nd AB DZ supply in 1104, one 82nd unit dropped in 1103, two 82nd units dropped in 1104.
1st AB DZ supply in 1503, both 1st units land in 1503, attack Arnhem at 7-1 odds, one unit moves in.
Guards attack 203.

Impulse 2
101st units attack 603, and 403, take both. Unit in 503 moves into Eindhoven, all others stay put.
82nd units attack Nijmegan.
1st units sit tight.
Guards continue attack at 203.

Impulse 3
Guards continue attack on 203.

Using this opening stratgey I've satisfied the victory conditions on the second impulse of turn 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Black
United States
APO
AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My allied placement is very similar.

1 Para Sup and both 1 Para in 1503. They will get the extra actions and attack Arnhem (1504) at 6-1. This guarantees the elimination of the defending unit. 1 of the Para units then advances into Arnhem.

101 AB sup goes in 1405.
501/101 and 502/101 go into 1304. 506/101 goes into 1405.

82 AB sup goes into 0703.
504/82 also goes into 0703.
505/82 and 508/82 go into 0702.

On the second impulse all of 101 airborne attack hex 1403 at 7-1 for an auto elim. I then move two units into that hex and keep one in 1304.

On the second impulse 504/82 attacks hex 0603 at 3-1 and will elim the unit. 505/82 and 508/82 attack hex 0602 at 6-1 and will elim that unit.

I have not yet found a good German response to this allied opening. By the 1st impulse of turn 2 Arnhem is an allied fortress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
MMPgamer wrote:
Here's my strategy [..]
82nd AB DZ supply in 1104, one 82nd unit dropped in 1103, two 82nd units dropped in 1104.

According to the FAQ&Errata, 1103 is where the German "Grave"unit starts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastati wrote:
My allied placement is very similar.
[..]
I have not yet found a good German response to this allied opening. By the 1st impulse of turn 2 Arnhem is an allied fortress.

Sound.

My German answer would be to delay you as long as possible in the south (Eindhoven, Wilhelmina Canal) while my SS reinforcements (10/10SS and 19/9SS in L and probably 21/10SS in J) would race through the off board areas to the Nijmegen area. 10/10SS and 19/9SS can be in Nijmegen at the end of 2nd impulse of 3rd turn. I think that would make an interesting play.

my5cts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heirodule wrote:
It was my guess, playing this, that this game is "solved", with an optimal unbeatable strategy.

Am I mistaken?

adamant wrote:
I am curious, which side is the guaranteed winner in your games?

You, sir heirodule, still owe us an answer

After a few games, my take on it would be:
if you play the historical set-up, this game is hard to win for the Allies.
if you play the a-historical set-up, this game is hard to win for the Germans.

Edit: my take on it added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.