Popular Tags: [View All]
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This afternoon I happened to be surfing and was checking out some different variations of Diplomacy. Look at what I bumbled over.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/diplomacy

Yeah! Who woulda thunk...

If anyone has contacts at the company, I was hoping they could put in a word for some of the neato variations found here on the geek. Especially the higly praised ones that some folks here love and prefer to the original rules.

Woot!.

Maybe there is hope for a Aquire reprint.

Oh if this is old news, feel free too circular file it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are those cardboard chits? Interesting design choice from Wizards of the Coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mapboard is the best I've seen in any edition of Diplomacy. I like it.

As for the "markers," flat counters replacing either miniatures or wooden blocks is unexceptable to me. There aren't all that many pieces in Diplomacy to begin with; short-cutting on them is really cheap.

C'mon Hasbro/AH --- produce to standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah believe it or not, they are cardboard.

I wish I had more details, but currently I am at the discovery stage of this offering coming soon.

I think this version is going to be a little different. This version lists 350 markers.

It may be wrong but 350 markers is quite a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric Manns
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From, what I understand the game includes control markers, armies and navies. That is the reason that it has 350....my thought is Hasbro should use the wooden blocks with the cardboard control markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Are those cardboard chits? Interesting design choice from Wizards of the Coast.

They sure look like CGI chits to me. (The sword is the dead giveaway, the map is actually very nicely rendered)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pathirtle wrote:
bulldozers wrote:
Yeah believe it or not, they are cardboard.

I wish I had more details, but currently I am at the discovery stage of this offering coming soon.

I think this version is going to be a little different. This version lists 350 markers.

It may be wrong but 350 markers is quite a few.

It definitely sounds like they're making some significant changes. 350 markers is about 300 more than the original, and the number of players for the new version is listed as 2-7.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to keep my eye on this one.

I don't know that they are making any changes from the latest version - rules-wise I mean. The last incarnation had rules for 2-7 players as well - basically just dividing up the map amongst players and dropping Italy when you had an even number of players.

It also contained 70 armies and 70 fleets (10 each for each nation) and 22 control markers per nation. That would be 294 pieces. So there are only 21 "new" pieces in this edition - and the extra pieces (divided by 7 gives each player 3 new pieces) sounds like it might be just rounded up to 25 control markers per person, or giving everyone 1 extra army, fleet, and control marker.

The 24-page rulebook sounds like it will be laid out exactly like the rulebook that is up on their website now - also at 24 pages. http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/diplomacy.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the cardboard pieces are to drop the price of the game. Remember, the last time Wizards/AH released the game (with painted Monopoly cannons and ships!), the MSRP was $50. This time it is $40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
I think the cardboard pieces are to drop the price of the game. Remember, the last time Wizards/AH released the game (with painted Monopoly cannons and ships!), the MSRP was $50. This time it is $40.

Maybe even a Bookcase Game-sized box? You certainly don't need a Euro-sized square box for 1 mapboard and cardboard counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
although I like the looks of the map, I don't like the size. what is the use of all the sea west of Portugal ? If you draw a north-south line just east of the black sea, what is the use of the map east of the line ? Together these areas take 1/3 of the with of the map.

So I would make the current map (30"x20") square by removing these aera's (20"x20"). Or blowing up the scale, printing the same square aera on a map up to 30" by 30".

and btw, the website says only 315 markers, not 350.

edited for the position of the black sea line...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
is the last version (the one with lovely miniatures) out of print?

i have 2 in shrink wrap if you anyone is interested... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
macedwin wrote:
is the last version (the one with lovely miniatures) out of print?

i have 2 in shrink wrap if you anyone is interested... ;-)

Yes, this was the most recent version:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Schmidt
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
JeVo wrote:
although I like the looks of the map, I don't like the size. what is the use of all the sea west of Portugal ? If you draw a north-south line just east of the black sea, what is the use of the map east of the line ? Together these areas take 1/3 of the with of the map.

So I would make the current map (30"x20") square by removing these aera's (20"x20"). Or blowing up the scale, printing the same square aera on a map up to 30" by 30".

and btw, the website says only 315 markers, not 350.

Nice map. FWIW, the original Games Research board had the Caspian Sea on it also.

If we are stuck with cardboard, I'd like to see AH make wood pieces available separately (w/flag stickers a la Deluxe Diplomacy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the muted colors of the new board. It makes it easier to see the country borders than in the last version, but I must say that I liked the Hasbro version with the square mapboard better. The metal pieces were a nice add-on and given that most games today retail for $50 it seems they could have done something nicer with the pieces and still been competitive.

It's surprising that they decided to do an economy version for the 50th anniversary edition. I was hoping for something with a bit more flash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.