Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross posting from my Vassalators geeklist, where I'm chronicling the weekly online games played between kuhrusty and me. Check out the geeklist for other games!

We've both played Hannibal a few times (and played each other at BGG.con '07). Rusty took Carthage, and I assumed control of Rome.

Turns 1-5 (session 1):

Hannibal suffered some early losses to attrition crossing into Gaul and facing Hostile Tribes. He was able to gather reinforcements and march into Gallia Transalpina with the help of native guides, where he's remained for most of the game ("training" is what I think Rusty called it). Rome has sent multiple expeditionary forces to Hispania, and much of the game has focused on Hasdrubal chasing Roman armies around Spain. Through the use of naval moves and forced marches, P. Scipio finally managed to evade Hasdrubal long enough to reinforce his army, capture Gades, and then gain control of the province of Idubeda. Rome lost Corsica/Sardinia to revolt (which resulted in the only turn thus far where we weren't tied 9-9 for province control). Mago briefly took control of Sicily during turn 5, but Longus recaptured a majority of the cities by turn's end.

After completing 5 turns, we called it a night and will finish the game next week. The current situation (from memory) has Hannibal camped in Boii with 8 units, Hasdrubal in Baeticia with 10 CU, Hanno in Carthage with 8, and Mago in Sicily with 1. P. Scipio is in Idubeda with 10 CU, there's a 10 CU Roman army in Samnium, 2 CU in Sicily, and 5 CU in Rome. We're at the Turn 6 reinforcement phase, so Scipio Africanus will be arriving this turn.

Turns 6-9 (session 2):

I may not have all the events in exactly the right sequence or turn, but here's the wrapup:

Turn 6, Scipio arrived in Dertosa. Hannibal immediately got moving, and attacked the Flaminus' army in Mutina. He won the battle, but suffered a 3e attrition result. Rome launched a major campaign: Nero marched up from Rome and attacked Hannibal, forcing him back to Boii. Flaminus followed up, pursuing Hannibal towards Gaul Hannibal fell back to Taurini, then marched south to Cosa. After the battles and attrition in the passes, he was down to 1 CU. Flaminus followed him over the pass and destroyed the remains of Hannibal's army. Mago defeated the Roman troops in Sicily and gained control of the province. In Spain, the Romans consolidated in Dertosa, then Africanus marched down the coast to New Carthage (avoiding an intercept), and put the city under siege. When Hasdrubal arrived to do battle, Africanus fell back into Acci, and gained control of Baeticia. Africanus then marched in Celtibera and gained control of that province. There was a massive battle around this time that saw Hasdrubal lose 5 CUs while retreating.

Turn 7: Africanus marched on New Carthage, eliminated the remains of Hasdrubal's army, and captured the city. He and P. Scipio secured the remaining towns in Orospeda. Mago was stuck in Sicily, so he beseiged Messana. Sicily then revolted, and Rome was able to briefly gain control there again, though Mago recaptured the province by turn's end. Diplomacy enabled Rome to take constol of Corsica/Sardinia.

Turn 8: Rome launched a Major Campaign, and Scipio Africanus sailed to Icosium in Western Numidia. The Roman army in Mutina beseiged Boii, and subjugated them by turn's end, gaining control of Gallia Cisalpina. Hasdrubal marched west to Saldae from Carthage with the army there. Mago attempted to reinforce him, but was forced to return to Sicily. Africanus took control of Western Numidia, then fought Hasdrubal, pushing him back into Cirta. Mago sailed to Hippo Regius and reinforced Hasdrubal. Africanus force marched south around Cirta, aiming for the undefended Carthage, but was intercepted in Thamugadi, where he again defeated Hasdrubal. He later force marched on to Carthage again and put it under siege, but failed to make much progress. (I had two force march cards in hand with Africanus in a position to besiege Carthage, but didn't earn a single siege point this turn!). Hasdrubal regained control of Western Numidia. Celtibera revolted (Rusty played the last 4 cards of this turn uninterrupted, after stealing some from me earlier)

Turn 9. P. Scipio sailed into Carthage with reinforcements for Africanus. Varro marched south into Sicily, eventually regaining control of the province. Rome regained control of Celtibera. Africanus besieged Carthage, gaining 2 siege points, before Carthage broke the blockade and removed them all. Hasdrubal attacked Africanus at Carthage, and after a massive battle, forced him to retreat to Thapsus. Hasdrubal made several attempts to chase down Africanus for the rest of the turn, but Africanus was able to repeatedly avoid battle and survived to the end.

Final: At the end of the final turn, Rome controlled 14 provinces to 4 for Carthage (all in Africa). After removing 10 PCs, that would have left Carthage with only 4 PCs on the map. A glorius Roman victory!

AAR: We agreed that Hannibal's early inactivity allowed Rome a lot of freedom to be aggressive in Spain, and build up armies in Italy. By the time Hannibal attacked on Turn 6, I had 20 CUs in two armies in Italy. In the late game, Mago got stuck in Sicily. Rusty had missed that he couldn't cross the straits into Italy without first controlling the cities on both sides, and then couldn't sail away due to a lack of "3" cards. It was fun to see Africanus have such an impact (for me, anway!). In all the games I've played previously, one side already had a significant lead by the time Africanus showed up, so he was either overkill, or just fighting to keep Rome alive. Seeing him conquer Spain and almost Carthage was pretty neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this but I'm curious: how do you deal with battles on Vassal considering you would have to respond to playing BCs all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would certainly take a long time to resolve a battle by PBEM, but we were playing in real time. It's still slower than face to face - it took us about 7 hours over two sessions. Some of that was our unfamiliarity with Vassal, or one player not realizing the other had finished his move. I think if we'd also been running voice chat we could have shaved an hour or two off that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.