Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I finally played my recently acquired copy of Ambush! I have played Battle Hymn before, although the last time was quite a while ago, so I spent part of the day reading through the manual.

Finally, tonight I set the game up and started playing. I generated a squad and set off.

I'm not going to write an in depth session, as this is after all an scripted game, but I'll point out the particular events that made the session interesting.

First, we managed to capture 3 Germans during the mission (one of them for an additional 2 VP).

After dealing with the first group of Germans that attacked us, I split the team into two groups, each with one commander. I was expecting resistance from both buildings, but it turns out the small one was empty. The only obstacle was a mine field that (luckily) we managed to discover.

The other building was more difficult, and the 2 Germans there insisted on attacking and assaulting (and surviving!!) through the rounds. They managed to kill one of my soldiers by assaulting him (both) when he managed to enter the building wounding one of them. Then one of them almost killed a second soldier with a granade. In the end, the commander managed to reach the building and with help from the wounded soldier, ended up killing both germans (after a couple of stressing rounds), saving the day.

As the commander on the other group had quickly dealt with the 2 germans closer to his zone, he also had time to rescue an English pilot that managed to crash while we were fighting, and right at the last round, he climbed the plateau, completing all the objectives for a grand total of 14 VPs.

I enjoyed the game a lot, although there were some stressing times when bad rolls made things very difficult.

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see you liked it. When I successfully completed the first scenario, I divided my troops as well. I've never found the mine field, so I guess I should be glad that none of my guys were blown to smithereens.

Was there anything else that attracted attention? I don't want to give anything away if you haven't read any other session reports...

--Mike L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... so it's worth replaying the missions then? I didn't notice anything else, and I haven't read other session reports. I captured the Officer right at the beginning, so I skipped to Condition 4 right away. Maybe I missed some events from conditions 2 and 3...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
Hmm... so it's worth replaying the missions then? I didn't notice anything else, and I haven't read other session reports. I captured the Officer right at the beginning, so I skipped to Condition 4 right away. Maybe I missed some events from conditions 2 and 3...

-Jorge

You'll get different results depending on what route you take. For example, once I sent my units straight south, over the road to the field below to try to capture the two-hex house. They were all killed by the soldiers in the house. Stupid, I know, but it goes to show that there are as many games as there are approaches. Another time I sent them along the north edge and lost the Germans in the woods. There are others you won't see unless you try different routes.

I think I ran into the minefield once. I saved the pilot almost every time (that is he showed up almost every time) and once I dragged an INCAP from one end of the map to the other and he lived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.