Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently received LW and while it states 3-5 players, is there any reason the game wouldn't work with 2?

I tried some solo 3 player last night to get a feel for the rules as reading them and looking at the components didn't make things click at first. After playing a few rounds solo, it all came together. This is a really good game! I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't received more attention here.

I'm hoping to give it a 4 player test tonight with our group, but it would be nice to be able to play it occasionlly with the girlfriend on off group days.

So as to 2 players, I'm guessing there may be some balancing as to the existing orders for locomotives? Though I don't see it right now as the orders are the same from 3 to 5 players. With more players, you have to look at producing newer designs faster to have an available market. With 2 players, there won't be that pressure to upgrade since on average the early generations will have plenty of available orders to fill. One solution to this, if it is a problem, is to roll one extra die during the market phase and then using the lowest set of dice to add to existing orders. For example: 2 dice are on the customrer pool, roll three dice and take the lowest 2 rolled.

Anyone else enjoying this game? I hope to have a review and some session reports soon including trying out a 2 player game with the straight rules just to see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
The potential problem I see playing it with 2 is that there won't be enough competition within generations and types. To me, the thing that makes Lokomotive Werks interesting is the tension involved in buying a factory: will someone else hone in on your territory? Can you stay before them in the turn order?

With only 2 players, I foresee alternating purchases of new generations, with no duplication...this would make the game suffer badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.