Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this game use the Citadels approach to resolving roles (i.e. in a linear configuration based on the specific roles themselves) or the Puerto Rico approach (role are resolved in a sequence determined by sitting order).

I far prefer the PR approach, if only because it alleviates the need for role calls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of both.

Roles are selected simultaneously.

Because of the associated powers, the roles are resolved in numerical order, with ties broken by seating order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg White
New Zealand
Upper Hutt, Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the former. the only difference between the role selection in citadels and red planet, is that each player has an entire set of the various roles. it is possible that multiple players select the same role in the same round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, so it's like Race for the Galaxy. Ok.

Who does the role call (per the rules, I mean)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you just start by announcing "1", and if anyone chose "1" they act, then "2", and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just anybody announces? For example, in Citadels, it's the "King" player (sorta starting player) that is forced to do the announcing (again, per the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter who does the announcing. It doesn't really matter in citadels, it's more thematic though to have the King do it.

The reason there is a "role call" is so people who select early character roles don't know which role the other players have taken, just that their number is higher than the current round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying Adam, but my question wasn't about whether it mattered or not. I was curious, per the rules themselves, how the process was supposed to be done.

Sure, I can change it (like I did with Citadels), but I'm trying to get a picture of how this game is "supposed to" operate before making any mental adjustments (or purchases).

At the core of my question is a turn order curiosity: What happens if everybody chooses Pilot? How is the order resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The start player announces it. The start player is the player who took the last action the previous turn. It's randomly determined in the first round based on which player ends up on the last ship (random draw of player marker). All of this IIRC of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg White
New Zealand
Upper Hutt, Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yep, correct. there is a start player token. the start player calls the role. if more than 1 player has chosen the pilot then the start player (or person closet to the start players left if the start player wasn't one of the 'pilots') goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.