Subject: Please recommend me 2 or 3 player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm a new-commer to this website and I am greatly enjoying it. But the amount of games is rather over-whelming.

I'm looking for games that are great for 2 player primarily and/or 3 player. It also wouldn't hurt if 1 player was an option.

The 2 main people playing would be myself and girlfriend. I have descent experience in gaming (if rather outdated) and she just loves "fun". I come from a roleplaying background and have dabbled in boardgames such as Advanced Heroquest. The occasional third player has a similar background to mine. As we get older we have discovered that we no longer have the time or patience to break out big role-playing sessions.

Game we have tried: Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers. We played 1 3 player and 1 2 player games total (since yesterday) and we all loved it. But I get the feeling this game is enough for our Carcassone fix.

Games that seem interesting: San Juan, Citadels, Descent, Arkham Horror, and Memoir '44. Any imput on these games (other than what I've read in the reviews)?

I'd like to get a card game primarily for variety and games like Descent make the role-player in me interested.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan works very well with 2 or 3 players, and is probably a good game to move to after Carcassonne. Think about Race for the Galaxy too: a bit more complex and involved than San Juan, but excellent with 2-players.

Arkham Horror has some similarities to Advanced Heroquest: you are working as a team in a board game with an RPG feel.

I don't know the others, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for San Juan. As for games that work great with 2 to 3 players, Carcassonne and San Juan would have to be at or near the top of the list. San Juan is a bit more involved than Carcassonne and, I think, requires more plays before you can really understand the whole game. It is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pweiaholic wrote:

Games we have tried: Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers. We played 1 3 player and 1 2 player games total (since yesterday) and we all loved it. But I get the feeling this game is enough for our Carcassone fix.

Games that seem interesting: San Juan, Citadels, Descent, Arkham Horror, and Memoir '44. Any imput on these games (other than what I've read in the reviews)?

I'd like to get a card game primarily for variety and games like Descent make the role-player in me interested.

Thanks

San Juan is good for 2 or 3; Citadels probably better with a larger group of people. So out of those two, I'd go for San Juan.

Other card games (since you particularly mention it):-
Jambo
Bohnanza
Lost Cities

Other 2 player games:-
Mr. Jack
Hive
Quinamid
Blokus Duo
Ingenious
Ticket To Ride:Switzerland
Medici vs Strozzi
Yspahan

Just a few off the top of my head.

You also mentioned RPG; notably Descent & Arkham Horror. Both of these are great & Arkham Horror in particular can be played solo against the game. Both also have quite a few expansions to make the games even better... the only word of caution is that the rules are quite complex & fiddly, so it may be a bit of a learning curve. But since you come from a role-playing background you'd probably be fine !

Another RPG (sort of) game that you might be interested in & can play as 2-player or with 3 is Last Night On Earth:The Zombie Game.

Good luck!

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my girlfriend, whom is the person I most often play with, some of her favorite games are:

Thebes
Dungeon Twister
Blue Moon City
Ticket to Ride
Wings of War
Mr. Jack

Other than Mr. Jack, all these games also scale up very well. Sure, most of them are SdJ nominees...but I think those are the kind of games that generally tend to appeal more to a gamer's girlfriend. If you do want something in a similar vein to Descent...I'd definitely look at Dungeon Twister.

Good luck, and welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games That Are Great For Two Players AND For Three Players
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18333
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to second some of the previous suggestions.
* Jambo is an exciting, two-player game with a good amount of tactical complexity.
* Citadels is a lot of fun with 2-3 (that is, in fact, my favorite number to play it with).
* Lost Cities is entertaining, but extremely light. If you like card games (Hearts, Euchre, etc.), you may enjoy it.
* Mr. Jack is a fairly deep deduction game. However, it can be brain-burning and has a rather abstract feel, so if you are wanting a rip-roaring good time it may not be the best choice.
* Hive is another abstract, but it plays in 5-10 minutes. Can't really go wrong with it, but it is 2 player only.
* Dungeon Twister is very deep, and also has a bit of the RPG/Heroquest feel that you seem to enjoy. Probably a solid choice.

A couple of others that I've really enjoyed for 2-3 are Attika, Thurn and Taxis, Ubongo, Samurai and Blue Moon City.

Conversely, I would steer clear of Bohnanza if you are only going to be playing with small numbers. It only really shines at the 4+ mark.

Hope that helps...

Also, welcome to the 'Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Lord of the Rings for 2-5 players and Ra for 3-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you used to play RPGs, there are some related games you might like:

Universalis (Revised Edition) - A storytelling game with board game mechanics. Lots of fun if you like the storytelling aspect of RPGs

Arkham Horror - Cooperative RPG-like boardgame with an horror theme. Excellent if you like the theme. Plays well with two if you play 2 characters each or if you tone down the difficulty a bit.

Return of the Heroes - Play a fantasy character, getting experience to upgrade your stats and completing tasks/quests to eventually be able to defeat a powerful "nameless one". Simple (once you get through the manual) and fun.

Marvel Heroes - Play a team of superheroes and compete with other teams to solve problems around the city and fight the villains. There's a lot of strategy (planning what heroes to use each turn and how) and the combat is done in a very RPGish way (dice and stats) with some card play and special powers. Loads of fun and no downtime at all with 2 players.

Dungeon Twister is also fun if you like thinking games, although it can be a brain burner... Playing with a timer helps. It seems to be a dungeon crawl but it's more like chess.

Also, some games you might like are OOP. The best RPG-like boardgame is Magic Realm, but it is complex...

Edit: Arkham Horror is excellent solo, Return has a solo variant in the box too and Magic Realm plays very well solo too. There might be a solo variant for Marvel Heroes too.

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon K
Netherlands
Zaanstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to give another vote for Mr.Jack as mentioned by some above. I recently bought it and was pleasantly surprised. It is fast + fun + Easy + challenging ! you can even try it out online first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're interested in Memoir '44 and have an RPG background, I'm going to go ahead and suggest BattleLore as an alternative. It's the superior game in every way, and has a nice fantasy theme to boot.

I'll also back up the suggestions of Mr. Jack, Yspahan, Ra, and San Juan.

And since you wanted a card game:
Battle Line - A must-have two player only card game.
Sticheln - A trick taking game for 3-8 players; having a Sticheln deck is also good as you can also play a number of different games with the deck, including the aforementioned Battle Line (there called Schotten-Totten.) See this list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20503/item/399612
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:

Sticheln - A trick taking game for 3-8 players; having a Sticheln deck is also good as you can also play a number of different games with the deck, including the aforementioned Battle Line (there called

Sticheln is one of my favorite trick-taking games, particularly with 3, but be forewarned you need to have the right mentality because it is brutally vicious played with just 3. This is Because the third player often has the direct ability to purposefully hurt one of the other two players, usually the leader. With the right group it is brilliant, but with the wrong group you could find yourself sleeping in the doghouse. Once you get 4 or more players though the game, while still being based on giving "pain" is much less direct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Just recommended this in anither thread, but it could be what you are looking for: Attika.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking these recomendations so far. I was a little rushed earlier, so I didn't get to give more details. Our biggest points would be easy for me to explain the rules (they both just refuse to read rules, I love to), time constraint (4 hours for a game is seriously pushing it), and theme. I see alot of games that look like great fun, but the theme isn't all that appealing to myself and probably moreso to them.

Ticket to Ride was another game we were interested in.

Things that are becoming a little confusing: I see San Juan and Citadels compared alot, with San Juan winning out as a 2 player. But some people swear by Citadels as a lower player game, while some say it's best as a high player games. My deciding factor might have to be theme? Citadels seems to be more of interest (the fantasy-ish theme).

Also, Arkham Horror seems like a great choice (I love the theme!), but maybe too time constraining?

Memoir '44 is a personal interest of mine (I love WWII stuff and have played wargames in the past), but my partners might not be too interested. Battlelore uses the same game mechanics right?

As of right now it looks like I'm leaning towards purchasing Arkham Horror and either San Juan or Citadels.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pweiaholic wrote:

Memoir '44 is a personal interest of mine (I love WWII stuff and have played wargames in the past), but my partners might not be too interested. Battlelore uses the same game mechanics right?

As you mentioned solo games, and seem to like wargames, maybe you'd enjoy Fields of Fire. It seems to be an excellent solo game system with lots of replayability. Other options you might already know about are: Ambush! and Battle Hymn. Both using the same paragraph based system which works very welll. They're OOP but not too hard to find.

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham horror plays solo as well, so that is another "plus" for that game.

I would really recommend San Juan over Citadels. San Juan plays great with 2-4 players, this is something everyone agrees about. When it comes to Citadels with few players the opinions are much more mixed. My hunch is that there are a few that love it, but more who don´t. I have tried it with two and it was "OK", not worth buying for playing with only two in my opinion. If you would prefer science fiction over a historical theme, perhaps Race for the Galaxy could be a better choice. It has a lot in common with San Juan, but is perhaps slightly more complicated.

You can download the rules for San Juan and Race for the Galaxy from www.riograndegames.com and the rules for Citadels and Arkham Horror from www.fantasyflightgames.com. A great way to get a better feeling for the games.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Trygve Myhrer
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to ride Nordic Contries is grat for 2 players, I have not tried it with 3. The only problem is that it is only sold in the Nordic Contries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hutcheon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you like Memoir 44, Tide of Iron is a good 2-player game. So is War of the Ring. WotR is especially appealing if you guys are Lord of the Rings fans. Both of these titles are best played with 2 people in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Figarotta
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just tried Race for the Galaxy for the first time the other night, and it was a good game.

I'd also recommend San Juan as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
carcassonne-the castle-2 players only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth.
Fast, simple, fun.
Scales well for 2, 3 and 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I second Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

That game is more fun than a Barrel of Monkeys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.