Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players were me, Jeanette, Ben, Josh/Dan and Bill. My apartment.

Dinner (roast beef) eaten after season 2 and dessert (ice cream with cake made by Josh) after season 7. Jurassic Park was watched along the way.

Sun board.

After initial selection of provinces I was convinced that Josh and Ben had the best start, with nice clumps of provinces. Jeanette had a nice line of provinces across the mid-East side of the map. Bill and I were spread out all over and I figured neither of us had much chance. The most interesting thing was that only two of the light green provinces were selected, leaving some open territory, primarily for Ben and Bill.

I won't go into the gory details, but Josh expanded into the purple island areas and the region around Yamato, trying to push Bill out, but Bill reinforced, as well as expanding into the promontary in the far East.

I lost my lone territories early and was stuck with six right in the middle. Jeanette reinforced her regions and built some stuff.

Ben started a slow expansion into the West.

At the first winter, Bill actually led from Ben, Jeanette, me and last was Josh/Dan, who had not really built anything.

In the second year Bill was attacked by Jeanette, Ben and Josh/Dan. This was expected as he had several weakly held provinces.

I reinforced by provinces and built some buildings, and crucially won a battle with Jeanette which gave her a province with two buildings.

Ben and Bill expanded further into the West but Bill was hampered by his earlier losses.

Ben won quite comfortably, for two (or three? wins in a row.

Lessons:

- In terms of the importance of geography Shogun has a lot in common with Risk, in the sense that it is good to have a strong base at the edge of the board and then expand out from that. Ben understands this well. If you are stuck in the middle then all of your provinces are always under threat and you have to ignore building in favour of reinforcing.

- The cube tower is very very neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.