M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently my computer has been popping up internet explorer ad-sites when ever I run Firefox. I never use IE normally. I have run two antivirus programs, Ad-aware and another ad detector, and a freeware trojan detector and they haven't found anything out of the ordinary.

I am using windows XP pro that is patched and up to date.

When ever I browse to a new site with firefox, IE starts up and directs me to a random spam site. Can anyone help me with a solution other than reformatting my drive?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blush

I thought you were having trouble putting a condom on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run through a similar set of steps below with a friend a few months back
http://www.cyberwalker.com/faqs/computer-threats/how-to-fix-...

direct link to hijack this:
http://free-software-now.com/hijackthis/index.asp?revid=deho...=

In the case I helped with it ultimately was fixed by finding the correct reg key and nuking it but you want to be very sure you don't nuke your your registry altogether.

edit: in the case I fixed the hijack always brought up a search engine and searching on that helped me find the exact reg key to nuke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hijack this is probably the strongest weapon in the trojan killer's arsenal. The problem is that it's a very tough weapon to use. But if adaware and spybot can't kill it, chances are you'll have to go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
OLD "Trojan" saying: "Beware of GEEKS bearing 'gifts'!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this exact same problem here at work when I installed Firefox and they eventually reformatted my entire computer. The tech guy tried every single anti-virus/spyware/whatever at his disposal and couldn't get the problem to go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My usual cocktail of cleaning products:

- Lavasoft AdAware - Scans the system for advertising and spyware. Seems that this has become underpowered over time, but it will sometimes catch things that others will not.

- Spybot Search & Destroy - Scans the system for a myriad of products, and also will put steps into place to prevent some future problems.

- Hijack This - A powerful system registry tool -- use judiciously. Because some malware is specifically programmed to work against Hijack This, re-name the executable after you download it and run the re-named file (I had to do this for one particularly virulent program).

- While you're at it, get the Hosts file (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm). It'll automatically block access to a whole range of bad websites. Read up on it on the webpage, so if you have difficulties accessing a page, you can see how to edit the hosts file to gain access.

- CWS Shredder -- CoolWebSearch is one that I've had infestations with from time to time. The CWS Shredder is adapted to attack it specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.