Michael Hammond
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"A thief steals half your items..."

"When knocked unconscious, discard half your items and..."

So what exactly counts as an item? Common items are clearly items. Unique items are items. But what about spells and skills? Blessing cards? Allies? I'd think my ally would be offended to be thought of as an item. But I can't find a rule that clearly spells it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have always used this excerpt from the rulebook in regards to what happens when you are knocked unconscious:

Quote:
Important: When adding up items before discarding
them, count all Common Items, Unique Items, and
Spells. In addition, the Deputy’s Revolver and the Patrol
Wagon both count as items. Allies, Skills, and other
cards do not count towards this total.

In addition, Clue tokens are called out separately, along with retainers so these are not considered "items" either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hammond
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I have always used this excerpt from the rulebook in regards to what happens when you are knocked unconscious:

Quote:
Important: When adding up items before discarding
them, count all Common Items, Unique Items, and
Spells. In addition, the Deputy’s Revolver and the Patrol
Wagon both count as items. Allies, Skills, and other
cards do not count towards this total.

In addition, Clue tokens are called out separately, along with retainers so these are not considered "items" either.

Perfect! Which page is this on? I'd missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Page 16 under "Investigator Status"

The rules deal with what happens when you lose all your stamina or sanity. But if a definition of what an item holds true here, it should hold true for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
But in another thread, it was mentioned that anything that could be traded is an "item". Which means money would be an item, and would be lost when knocked unconscious.
But this thread doesn't mention money at all.
Any official ruling on whether you lose money or not?

I only have the base set (revised) - I wish those rules had been clearer on some basic things, like defining the word "item".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
But in another thread, it was mentioned that anything that could be traded is an "item".
Can you link to that thread? It sounds wrong. Items and money can be traded, but money is not an "item" for other game purposes (like losing half your items, losing an item to Rat Thing, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
But in another thread, it was mentioned that anything that could be traded is an "item".
Can you link to that thread? It sounds wrong. Items and money can be traded, but money is not an "item" for other game purposes (like losing half your items, losing an item to Rat Thing, etc.).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/323522

I think the quote that confused me in that thread was
Quote:
If it can be traded, it is an item and can be lost.

It sounds like it would be more accurate to say
Quote:
With the exception of money, if it can be traded, it is an item and can be lost.

Brian clarified this in another thread last night (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/401817):

ColtsFan76 wrote:
Money is not an "item" when it comes to being knocked out. It does not list it under the penalty for this but specifically calls it out for when you get arrested.

I would also interpret this as money not getting lost if a thief steals half your items, as well as any similar events. Basically money can be traded, but not lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. In general, "items" are common items, unique items, spells, deputy revolver, and patrol wagon. I believe the exhibit items from the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion are also classified as items. Anything else (like money) needs to be explicitly stated (like the trading and arrest sections, which specify money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Leinbach
msg tools
I may even go as far as calling the White Ship a item too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.