Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: BL Bits - C&C:A Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Autumn Gamer is a pirate, Blustering in from sea, With a rollocking song, he sweeps along, Swaggering boisterously. The Autumn Gamer is a raider, Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to play Battlelore with the Ancients Rules (Evade, Lights had Renge, Battle Back, Leaders)?

I realy don't like the feeeling to buy a Game for a higher Price than another and there aren't better Game bits.

I'm afraid there would be some problems? But can't they be solved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While yes you could incorporate some of C&C:A's rules and still use your BL set, what you would be missing are the cards that drive the game engine. Many of the C&C cards use the leader piece/location to determine what units can be moved. I don't think you would get the same sort of battle line dynamics without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
The largest difference between the two games (aside from leaders) is the "best" unit formation. In C&C:A the best formation is a line, and the card deck and rules support this formation. In BL the best formation is a clump of units in a triangle, or some similar grouped formation.

You could play BL with the Ancients rules, but I also think you would also have to use the card deck as well...and then why not just play the Ancients.

If its not too much trouble I would be very interested in hearing how your experiment works out.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
If by "better bits" you mean the wooden blocks I would say they grow on you. At first I would have prefered miniatures, but after playing both Battle Lore and C&C:A I now prefer the wooden blocks. They are easier to move, easier to differentiate, and I think they just look classier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, I don't think it could work.

Just buy Commands and Colors: Ancients if you want to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen BL but am not totally familiar with it's contents. The biggest problem I would forsee is the lack of different types of units in BL.

I know in BL you do have light, medium, and heavy infantry, ditto L, M, H cavalry, and some archers and some rather odd units.

But in CCA, you have Light infantry, light slingers and light bows, Auxilia (a special kind of sort of heavy light infantry). You not only have Medium infantry but also have Warrior infantry-- a special kind of medium.

And light bow cavalry, plus chariots and elephants-- all not found in BL. (I'm not mentioning the camel troops, since they are hardly used). But I will mention 2 kinds of war machines that show up in a few scenarios.

By the way, all of these units, save camels and bow cavalry, are found in the BASE game of CCA. Camels and bows come in the first expansion, with a couple more variations of things in the next expansions.

So while the BL bits may be attractive, you will have to find some way of distinguishing these different kinds of troops-- most especially the wide range of light foot types-- in order to play CCA scenarios.

Or, as someone else said, give the blocks a try.

This past Saturday I set up a CCA game and a guy pulled out BL right next to me. While everyone was quick to oooh and ahhh about the bits, when they compared set up and take down time, as well as ease of using the pieces IN THE GAME, it was an easy win for the wooden blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Autumn Gamer is a pirate, Blustering in from sea, With a rollocking song, he sweeps along, Swaggering boisterously. The Autumn Gamer is a raider, Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay you get me in the Boat. I will name me now "adult Blocki" and had abandoned my greed for miniatures.

But one Question is left. Wile i read trought the Rulebook i can't see a difference between the slingers- an Bow-units.
Both are green, both had a Rane of 3 and a Combat Rate of 2, both move up to 2 an fight....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no differences other than looks. It is just to add historical flavor although one could create a scenario which differentiates between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, these units have the same characteristics, only the art differs. This was discussed in one of the first threads (you could check it out), but to summarize, the abstraction of the game and the small number of hexes makes them share range (2 hexes being the minimum and 3 hexes the maximum for bows, you cannot make 2,5...), and both being light they share combat power too. Not a big deal. They help to give a personal touch to some armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.