Popular Tags: [View All]
ron du bois
United States
fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello All,

Last year I dropped a question here regarding card games and I got many wonderful responses.

So I figured I would drop a new question.

I am looking for a new wargame to play with a friend of mine.

Background
My friend and I used to play Axis and Allies (original or Europe mapboard version) a couple of times a year for lets say 10+ years. We finally got burned out with that....and moved on to Battle Lore last year. The shorter game length and tactical options made it to be a very refreshing game.

So now...I am looking for another tactical type wargame that is playable in 1-3 hours. Rule complexity similar to Battle Lore would be nice, but a bit more complex can certainly be handled. I have considered C&C:Ancients and Memoir 44, but I think I am looking for something with more of a different feel.....perhaps in other words with a system different from Battle Lore (but I am not sold on this).

Any recommmendations will be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you want something like Tide of Iron.

Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd heartily recommend Combat Commander: Europe. The rules are probably more complex than any of the games you have listed (certainly than m44, I haven't played C&C:A, so I don't know about that one) but the game isn't complicated. Once you've got a feel for how it goes, you'll only consult the rules for special events, and the rules are really clearly written, which reduces ambiguity to an insignificant value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I third Combat Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And all this threads I always ask the same question:

What do you want to play?

Mainly, what era (WWII, ACW, Napoleon, Ancients...) and what scope (tactical, operational, strategical).

If you are looking for a tactical WWII game then either Combat Commander: Europe or Tide of Iron look nice and just a small step higher.

If you want ACW strategic, then I'll recommend A House Divided which is just (the basic rules) a small step higher in complexity than what you have played.

If you wand operational WWII. No question A Victory Lost is the game you are looking for.

So on and so forth.

I think that the four games I have mentioned would be considered by almost all grognards as "next step from Axis & Allies" games.

BTW if you want strategical WWII and you are don't mind two steps higher in complexity, check Europe Engulfed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron du bois
United States
fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the comments so far. I will check out some of recommended games.

Regarding era...probably WWII considering the friend I would play this with, he has only played A&A and Battle Lore so I would not want to jump the complexity up too much too fast.

My gaming background has anything from A&A to History of the World to AH's Third Reich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe fits your parameters though I don't like it myself. I recommend Tide of Iron for sure! Read the session reports and game reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Victory Lost would be the perfect gateway to more meaty wargames, if that direction would interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choices from abendoso.

abendoso wrote:
If you are looking for a tactical WWII game then either Combat Commander: Europe or Tide of Iron look nice and just a small step higher.

Combat Commander is great, in an updated hex-and-counter format. Tide of Iron is great in a "truckloads of plastic minis" sense. Fun tactical stuff in a much easier-to-digest format than you'd have been able to find in years past.

abendoso wrote:
If you want ACW strategic, then I'll recommend A House Divided which is just (the basic rules) a small step higher in complexity than what you have played.

Great beginner's game. If you want an operational ACW game, try Avalon Hill's Gettysburg (Smithsonian Edition). It is also a great beginner's wargame.

abendoso wrote:
If you wand operational WWII. No question A Victory Lost is the game you are looking for.

A new classic. Maybe on the high end of beginner's games, but not difficult, and fun.

abendoso wrote:
BTW if you want strategical WWII and you are don't mind two steps higher in complexity, check Europe Engulfed.

Seems quite complex when you first look at the rules, but play is actually much simpler than it looks (although there is a lot of page-flipping during the first few games).

You might also be interested in EE's new sister game, Asia Engulfed. I have not played it yet, but it looks slightly easier to get into.

If you don't mind that level of complexity, go for the gold and get EastFront by Columbia Games. Awesome.

If you want to try some block games that are more beginner's material, I'd suggest Quebec 1759, The War of 1812, or Napoleon, all by Columbia Games, and well-worth playing even as you progress past beginner's status.

If you don't mind science fiction or out-of-print games, try OGRE by Steve Jackson Games (originally by Metagaming). Thirty years or so after its original publication, I still think it's one of the best introduction to hex-and-counter wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jewett
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal is worth trying out.

Playable in less than three hours.
Two-player game
The most balanced of the Axis & Allies games.
Good variety of strategic options {many ways to get a win}.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.