Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Baker
United States
Papillion
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think a new, expanded command card deck would be a *great* expansion option for Memoir. More units, more moves, more special actions, and this could even be done *independently* of the terrain/nation/air pack expansions!

I understand that the air pack (which I have yet to obtain) comes with a new deck, but my understanding is that it is a replacement deck, not an expansion.

To take it one step further, I think DoW could generate some mass PR by perhaps having some player input into the new deck, perhaps offering a suite of prizes for players who's individual cards or entire decks are selected.....thoughts from other Memoir lovers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Air Pack does not come with a new command deck. It does however come with a large deck or very useful reference cards.

Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the appeal of the system is that the command cards are quite generic in nature but can do varied things based on the unit layout. A whole new command card deck would, by necessity, be almost identical to the old deck. What are you going to do, change the distribution? Can you reasonably remove the activate one unit on both the right and left flank cards to make room for something significantly less generic?

If you want to really mix it up a bit maybe you should try Battlelore. The lore cards seem to match what you are talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it. Kind of like the replacement Overlord deck that came with the Doom expansion.

That's an interesting idea...probably unnecessary, but I could see it being used to good effect. Like a Tank War deck that came with some unique scenarios, or an Infantry Rush deck with all infantry cards. Maybe even add a CCG angle, where generals can stock their decks with the flanks and the units they think they'll need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Guritza
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree here.

I personally like the very generic cards. My fear is that in certain scenarios, cards could be too powerful and every time you play a scenario you are waiting for that the one powerful card.

I personally do not like the CCG angle because it turns the game into who spends the most time and money to build the right combination to win. This is a huge turn off to people who rarely play or newbies.

The generic cards force a player to focus more on tactics of opportunity and forces hard decisions when you do not get the cards you need to fully execute your plan.

Just my thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am of the opinion the Command Deck is fine. You can't do a whole lot to the deck without 1) upsetting the balance and 2) getting so specialized that it renders units useless.

The Lore deck is pretty specialized in BattleLore which shakes things up a bit. However, you still have a constant Command deck to keep your playing options open from turn to turn.

Some of the specilization that you get from the BL Lore deck is already starting to get incorporated into the functions of the planes. The way the planes have been introduced, I think DOW is gearing up to offer mini-expansions that allow you to buy specific planes with specific functions.

They may also take the path of BL and offer some sort of second deck that allows for specialized actions. But as far as the Command Deck goes, I like it the way it is and would prefer it remain untouched.

BTW, the Air Pack only offers 2 Air Sortie cards which are mixed into the deck and some rules that change existing cards. The vast majority of the "deck" that is included is just summary cards of all the vast rules in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't disagree that the current deck is not broken. But I respectfully disagree with you Coltsfan, I think a well thought out expansion deck or expansion cards could add a lot to the game without rendering units useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.