Subject: Reduced Infantry Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Goss
United States
McPherson
Kansas
flag msg tools
I was wondering how reducing the range of INF would affect the game. I'm not sure what the INF unit is representing, a squad or a platoon, but to give them the same range as a Tank unit is a bit much, in my opinion. Does it represent Mortars, HMGs or what? I understand the reduction of Firepower as the range increases, but the scale feels wrong.

My proposition is to reduce the INF range to TWO. Roll 1 die at two hexes (Mortar or HMG fire) and 3 dice at 1 hex (close combat with grenades, hand-held A-T weapons and SMGs, etc.).

Thoughts? Comments?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is hard to say what an INF unit represents as the scale varies from scenario to scenario. Generically, it could make up everything you have listed. There are units in the game that are limited to a range of only 2 hexes - Cavalry (though they roll 3-2). So the concept is not unheard of.

I am not sure that I would like it, personally. I play tested a game of Battle Cry with 1812 rules where INF were reduced on their range (similar to what you propose). It made the game slow down quite a bit as each unit had to get in close for the kill. Perhaps it was more accurate but it was a lot less fun.

I would imagine things would slow down considerably in Memoir as well. Terrain also plays a big part in Memoir. Most of it reduces INF dice by one. So in most situiations save open fields, you infantry will only be able to roll 2 dice in close combat; any ranged combat is reduced to zero die.

I have seen some suggestions on "fixing" infantry where you would still roll the same number of dice at the same range. However, a grenade was a hit only in close combat; with ranged attack, you could only hit on the defending unit's symbol (which meant artillery could only be hit in close combat). So you reduce the effectiveness of the INF but still leave room for the possibility of scoring hits from afar.

The beauty of the game, though, is you can modify it as you see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time the infantry (and other) units in Memoir'44 are behaving like battalion-sized units, so I interpret the long-range fire ability to represent organic and attached heavy weapons commonly seen fighting in battalions such as mortars, anti-tank guns, infantry guns and heavy machineguns. It may also represent the kind of direct supporting fire from regimental assets such as cannon companies, heavy mortars and assault guns that might not warrant their own units given the level of abstraction in the game design.
Remember that the rifles and light machine guns of a World War II era infantry unit represent just a small fraction of the total firepower of the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.