Popular Tags: ruleset [+] [View All]
Sandeep Kharkar
United States
Bountiful
UTAH (UT)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if it is just me, or the rules are complex, or I read the rule book too late at night for me to be at my full brain capacity, but I felt that the rule book is not very well written.

The setup instructions and the pictures didn't seem to match very well and I had to read thru a couple of times before I felt that I thought that I understood the rules!

Did anyone else feel that the rules could have been better written?

~RagingBull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen rulebooks that are a lot worse. I thought it was OK.

Ra is one of those games where showing somebody how to play, when you know yourself, is incredibly easy - just start playing, and do a sample round! Since you usually only have two choices it's pretty straightforward.

But learning from the book is harder. Just stick with it and try a sample round against yourself. You'll see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WELCOME TO BOARD GAME GEEK RagingBull !!! cool

I didn't read from rulebook. Game flow was easy coming from someone else who dictated what to do. I still had a harder time recognizing some civs from monuments and regular tiles vs 'destroyers'

EDIT:
I ended up getting my own copy and for me, reading the rule book was indeed harder than having someone explain it to me... and not even demonstrating it either. Just a plain, straight-up explanation was simplier than reading the rule book. The rule book was more thorough though. IMO, it could've been organized better.

If it were me, I would've made bullet points or paragraphs and describe everything that happened for playing a God tile, drawing a tile, or invoking Ra. Then covered all other possible scenarios too. For example, I read the thing cover to cover. I could swear I read somewhere that when the tile track is full, following players are left with the options of playing god tiles to take single tiles or invoking Ra. So NO MORE drawing of tiles. I'm pretty sure I read this in teh instructions as opposed to reading it somewhere on BGG, but now, i canNOT find that passage for the life of me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote up an alternative ruleset for the Rathulhu retheme a couple of days ago.

If you've got the inclination, I'd appreciate if you could take a moment to read it through and say if you felt it better or worse than the official rules.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/29976

(No rules have been changed, just the tile names and pictures.)

Regards, Kristian

/kgm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they sholdn't rewrite the rule book, they should rewrite the game so that you roll dice and move around a track and collect rent when others land on your monuments.

The game uses some unfamiliar mechanism, so it is naturally not the easiest to understand through reading the rule book. Similar thing with Mamma Mia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
No, they sholdn't rewrite the rule book, they should rewrite the game so that you roll dice and move around a track and collect rent when others land on your monuments.

The game uses some unfamiliar mechanism, so it is naturally not the easiest to understand through reading the rule book. Similar thing with Mamma Mia.
In that case, one of each type of monument = boardwalk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RagingBull wrote:
Don't know if it is just me, or the rules are complex, or I read the rule book too late at night for me to be at my full brain capacity, but I felt that the rule book is not very well written.

The setup instructions and the pictures didn't seem to match very well and I had to read thru a couple of times before I felt that I thought that I understood the rules!

Did anyone else feel that the rules could have been better written?

~RagingBull

I agree. I've been reading a lot of rule books lately and found that this one was not as easily understood on the first pass as most (including Leonardo Da Vinci which has a notoriously bad rulebook).

After one play though, you realize that this is actually quite a simple game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.