Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Thursday proved to be living evidence of the saying 'what goes around, comes around'. In recent weeks Ralph has been having an incredible run of bad luck at our sessions but this Thursday he was walking on water!

We're getting so that a 3-player game of Runebound (Second Edition) fits comfortably into our 3-hour 'ideal' time frame. Alan was 'Red Scorpion' (chain mail bikini, nothing better than 1 HP in any phase), Ralph was 'Varikas the Dead' (big horns, gets free magic attack) and I was 'Ronan of the Wild' (unspecified animal on shoulder, gets to re-roll movement dice - only worked twice in my favour in the whole game!).

We all set off, as usual, in separate directions - we never got into this PvP stuff, with this game at least! Alan suffered in his first few combats with not being able to do serious damage. In the 'wash-up' we decided that getting some sort of weaponry was a good opening gambit for this character. Sadly, Alan picked up a 6 GP sword but lost it getting knocked out in his first combat with it.

I managed to pick up the 'Cloak of Deception' that allows you to escape without taking HPs (only exhaustion). During one unfavourable encounter, I contrived to throw 5 consecutive unsuccessful escapes - I only needed 11 or more! Statistians will no doubt be happy to tell me the probability of that!

Meanwhile, Ralph was was notching up the 'experience counters' and getting increasingly bold with encounters, progressing onto 'blues' while the other two of us were still mucking about with 'greens' and 'yellows'. By the time he was taking on his 3rd 'red' we hadn't even attempted one between us - sad really! Anyway, the full victory conditions duly completed at 22:55 we finished with perfect timing and another really good session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ART
Norway
"Haugen"
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your little animal companion is a raccoon!

Thank you for the report. Did you use any modifications, even the ones in the instructions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahoodedfigure wrote:
I think your little animal companion is a raccoon!

Its name is Pico, for what it's worth. The Descent manual says so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use 3 XPs per 'power-up' and a slight mod of the softer knockout rule, whereby you lose *either* your most expensive item *or* all your gold, whichever is the greater.

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ART
Norway
"Haugen"
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did those mods serve to speed up the game? Did people bounce back too quickly from the soft knockout? I sometimes wonder if the guy with one gold might pick fights just to pay for instant transport. Seems like it could be used as a loophole if you have a choice in the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ahoodedfigure wrote:
Did those mods serve to speed up the game? Did people bounce back too quickly from the soft knockout? I sometimes wonder if the guy with one gold might pick fights just to pay for instant transport. Seems like it could be used as a loophole if you have a choice in the matter.

Note that Simon's variant is that you lose whichever is greater between gold or most expensive item. If one gold is the most you've got then you have more problems than can be made up for by exploiting a perceived loophole.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.