United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's late in race #3. You've been bludgeoned by blasters and mangled by meteors. You still have some crew, some cargo holds, but no thrusters. The last card in the race is a planet.

Can you land on the planet to take on more cargo, and then still finish the race?

I can't find anything in the rules to prevent this. However, you've certainly lost all inertia by landing on the planet, and so shouldn't be able to "coast" to the finish line. The rules are clear that an Open Space card would force you to quit the race if you have no thrusters. But I would think that, with no thrusters, you would also be forced to quit the race if you land on a planet (but still take on cargo). Or you could not land and still coast to the finish line.

Is this covered in the rules (it could be that I missed it).

TIA
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
It's late in race #3. You've been bludgeoned by blasters and mangled by meteors. You still have some crew, some cargo holds, but no thrusters. The last card in the race is a planet.

Can you land on the planet to take on more cargo, and then still finish the race?

I can't find anything in the rules to prevent this. However, you've certainly lost all inertia by landing on the planet, and so shouldn't be able to "coast" to the finish line. The rules are clear that an Open Space card would force you to quit the race if you have no thrusters. But I would think that, with no thrusters, you would also be forced to quit the race if you land on a planet (but still take on cargo). Or you could not land and still coast to the finish line.

Is this covered in the rules (it could be that I missed it).

TIA
meeple

Hi,

yep, even with barely surviving once proud ship without engines and with the last pretty scared crew member you still can land on the planet and take that one cube you can store in that last cargo hold of yours (you could land even without any cargo tiles left just to prevent the others to get some expensive cubes).

As you correctly found in the rules, only thing that could stop you from finishing the race if you don't have any engines left would be the Open Space card.

Captain out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not have engines, but really powerful attitude thrusters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any competent galaxy trucker knows that you don't use your interstellar thrusters when landing on a planet. The plasma spray would vaporize all those trade goods!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you use the planet's gravity for a slingshot maneuver while someone is dangling out the window swiping up the cargo as you go by?

-Munch "got nothing" Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Hurwitz
msg tools
The ships don't really look like they're made for atmospheric flight. I assume that they send (or pay for) shuttles to take goods to and from the surface. Even with no thrusters, you could probably pay for a quick tug into and out of the gravity well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.