Popular Tags: [View All]
James Crosfield
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next month I will finally have a room to keep all my games in, they are currently spread around two houses. I keep thinking, am I putting all my eggs in one basket by keeping them all together, I have heard so many stories of "mould attacks" (sounds like an early Steve Jackson game).

The room they are going to is in an attic conversion and I will be getting it well insulated to keep the temperature constant, but there are a few issues that still worry me:

1 Some will be against an outside wall and I was planning to mount shelves on the wall. Should I use free-standing units to allow air around the back.

2 Do de-humidifiers work well? Are they energy efficient? Do they have to run all year?

3 I am a thrifter so some games are a bit musty. Should I keep these with the others or will they start the problem as they are already "carriers"!

Any ideas to keep my nightmare at bay.

Thanks

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon K
Netherlands
Zaanstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IM curious about the answers you're gonna get. right now my games are awfully close to a window.... im getting the creeps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can speak from personal experience on one of these..

If you have walls that may be cold/damp, keep the games from touching the walls. I moved recently, and found that some of my larger games that had been touching a basement wall (that appeared dry) ended up getting mold/mildew along the ends.

To clean the mold, use a combination of very very light strokes with isopropyl alcohol on a white paper towel and putting them in sunlight (if available). The games ended up discolored where the mold was, but the mold was killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on the humidity levels in your attic: devices that measure humidity are very cheap.

If you are above 60%-70% then you should think to take some measures.

PS: And avoid getting Duel in the Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Meysey Hampton wrote:
1 Some will be against an outside wall and I was planning to mount shelves on the wall. Should I use free-standing units to allow air around the back.
Yes.

Meysey Hampton wrote:
2 Do de-humidifiers work well? Are they energy efficient? Do they have to run all year?
I live in a region where a basement normally requires a dehumidifier year round. They work well. They make the room warmer as well, which saves on heating, but can present other problems with regard to making things too dry and brittle (find a balance over time). If you have any mold or mildew the dehumidifier acts to retard their growth. Great Trick: pour a spoonful or 2 of bleach in the dehumidifier reservoir once a week or so (will retard growth inside it and also kill odors in general) - use a scented bleach if possible.

Meysey Hampton wrote:
3 I am a thrifter so some games are a bit musty. Should I keep these with the others or will they start the problem as they are already "carriers"!
Never store your games on the floor, even if/especially if carpeted (more of a basement issue rather than an attic issue, but still). Powder and baking soda can help, mostly just removing moisture which is required for the Stuff to grow. Keep any such separate if possible.

Meysey Hampton wrote:
Any ideas to keep my nightmare at bay.

Don't be so utterly anal! Enjoy your games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crosfield
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.