3 Posts

Axis & Allies: Guadalcanal» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special Rules Battle Question/House Rules Opinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jason s
msg tools
mb
Hello all, looking for a little help here. My girlfriend and I were playing A&A Guadalcanal this past evening and ran into a situation which we thought was ambiguously dealt with in the rules. Here goes:
Me - Axis
Girlfriend - Allies

At the very beginning of the combat phase, she "played command decision" and picked one of the sea zones.

I said ok, then I will play "night fighting".

We did the first round of the sea battle. I got one hit on her battleship, which of course was absorbed.

We then went on to the rest of the rounds of battle, and of course we then rolled the second round of sea battle in the combat phase of the same turn.

That's when the most ambiguous thing possible happened. I rolled a "2" that landed directly on the battleship space.

I said that since we were still in the same turn and her battleship had already absorbed one hit this turn that my "2" was a hit. Furthermore, since I had played "night fighting" for this turn, my "2" was a kill.

She said that "command decision" was separate from actual combat phase of the turn so the absorbed his doesn't count anymore, and that since I played "night fighting" during her "command decision" it too had expired.

We ended up compromising and just sent her battleship off the board damaged not destroyed but, obviously, no longer in play.

I would love to hear comments on how we should have approached this situation.

Additionally, we were discussing a possible house rule that we might implement. After serving some time in the Marines, I know that we resupplied postions through airdrops at times. I was thinking about an option making it possible for the bombers to carry supplies instead of bombs. For example, you would have the option to carry one supply in a bomber to be dropped in the land attack phase, or landed on an island at the end of the turn. In exchange, you would not have a land or sea attack, but still carry your air attack of "1" - no reason to disable the guns, but wouldn't have any room for bombs. I would love to hear your opinions on this. Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You were right, Jason. Since both hits occurred in the same turn, the battleship's armor had already been expended by the first hit, and since Night Fighting is in effect for the entire turn, every battle in that turn is affected by it.

Your house rule is interesting, but I think you would need to incorporate some possibility of failure of delivery of the supplies, other than enemy interdiction. Such drops were prone to inaccuracy, and supplies could easily be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rus kosits
United States
California
flag msg tools
After playing command decision and using it to destroy my opponent, I realized i may have "overplayed" it.

rule: after both players attack . . . . and take causalities, both players attack again . . .

I left out the "and take causalities" part and made his damaged ships sit through another round - my mistake.

So the damaged ships don't sit around through both rounds of combat, the damaged ones get pulled off between the regular round and the bonus round.

If there are no 2's, this opportunity to flee does not exist.( Night fight is a nice counter to CD, kudos). I am not enough of a gambler to play CD 'blind' as is required (to settle into 2 rounds of combat before the results of the first are known) and risk my units, I'd save it for bombing and shelling airfields or attacking into a sea zone with artillery and air units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.