Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
A Little Geography

Last Session Report, I mentioned how much the boys are enjoying the fact that people from all over the world are starting to follow their adventures with each report. I decided to get them a World Map and we have put little flags in each of the locations of Geeks that have thumbed a Report.

So now they are even more excited to see where you all are and they can learn a bit of Geography at the same time.

You can find links to their earlier adventures at the end of this report.

Preparations

Thankfully for me the only new piece of equipment was a Staff that Isaac had found and he had given it to Alex's Elf -

Issac (7) - Barbarian (DJ) [Shield]

Alex (5) - Elf (A.K.T - Alex's initials) [Helmet + Staff]

Patty + Riley (4) - Dwarf (Gimli) [Broadsword]

Alex chose the Water Spells this time, which included a Healing Spell, Sleep and Veil of Mist (move through monsters or other characters).

Scenario Background

Prince Magnus' Gold - After the successful mission to kill the Orc Warlord Ulag, Prince Magnus was to suffer another setback. This time a Chaos Warrior called Gulthor had managed to steal 3 Treasure Chests from the Prince's Vaults. Faster than you can say, "Dad your monsters suck", our heroes were descending into another lair on a retrieval mission.

Who Designed This Dungeon Anyway?

The 1st third of the adventure was a fairly simple affair for the heroes and I wasn't being helped by the scenario design. Linear rooms and passageways meant I couldn't gang up on the boys in any great way and there really wasn't enough monsters at my disposal to cause more than the odd flesh wound.

Like a scene from the Matrix, the Dwarf, Barbarian and Elf seemed to slice through my forces in slow motion, Isaac's Barbarian DJ the main destroyer.

In the blink of an eye the boys had racked up a 4 Orc/2 Goblin Bodycount but things were to get even worse for me.

The boys had learnt to search for treasure at ever opportunity and the 1st 7 Treasure Cards were all gold or items. Yes all 7. This saw Isaac grab a Potion of Healing and Holy Water, whilst Alex picked up a Potion of Speed and Heroic Brew. Riley didn't get any items but found 150gp - typical Dwarf.

I could tell I was in for a hell of a game here with 2 healing options (potion + spell) now at their disposal, and my monster count in the last half of the game wasn't that great. I'd need to roll like a Demon.

The Game Gets Tricksy and the Boys Get Tricksier

Thankfully the scenario design was beginning to ramp up with the inclusion of Traps, as the boys entered the middle and back end of the mission. There were no less than 3 Pit Traps and a Spear Trap hidden in 'easy to fall foul of' places.

Alex decided he could best contribute by discovering traps, the hard way, with his face and the Elf was looking a little woozy before too long. This only encouraged the boys to search for Secret Doors and Traps at every opportunity.

Much to my disgust the boys were lucky enough to stop 1 space short of 2 Pit Traps before searching and then Riley took pleasure in disarming them. I was so close to further damage.

The boys new found love of searching for traps also meant they found the Secret Door fairly quickly and before long they were approaching their goal.

My Kingdom for a Skull!

Alex was leading the way to the final 2 rooms but with his health on 3 Body he was reluctant to head off on his own so he waited for his companions to catch up. Bugger these guys catch on quick.

The Sentry Room Door was opened by Alex and upon seeing 3 Orcs he decided his best course of action was to run down the passageway. However at his back were two unscathed warriors and they prodded him forward with their swords and convinced Alex to enter the room and attack. This was my chance.

I was able to get 2 Orcs to attack him at once (he had moved to the corner of the room) and from 6 Dice I rolled 2 Skulls. Aaargh!

My glee was short lived as Isaac and Riley entered the room and chopped up my little beasties. At least Alex had been forced to use his Healing Spell, however that meant I was facing 3 almost full strength adventurers as they entered the final room.

Alex again opened the door and with his courage returned he moved to the side of the room as he didn't have the speed to engage the enemy. Barbarian and Dwarf charged down the passage but only Isaac could reach the foes. He made short work of my Fimir but I had my chance.

I mercilessly targeted Alex again and my 2 Orcs rolled 6 further attack dice for....1 Skull! I couldn't believe my rolling.

I needed more of these!

Image Courtesy of Yugblad

Alex was in full 'yellowbellie' mode now and moved down the passageway. This is when Isaac totally floored me. He told Alex to move all 10 spaces, he had rolled, down the passageway. He told Alex, "Orcs can only move 8 spaces so you will be safe."

I had been careful to keep my Monster Cards hidden but the little rascal had memorized the movement of Orcs in only 4 scenarios! surprise

From here the battle was lost for me, Isaac's Barbarian took the prize head of Gulthor and the Treasure Chests were seized. The boys are still far too young to not follow authority so they returned the Chests and picked up the reward. The boys agreed Issac had been the hero this time and he earned 100gp of the 200gp reward.

The Highlights

d10-1 Alex fell foul of 2 set traps and then a 3rd trap after searching for Treasure. The next time he asked to search for treasure, he covered his eyes with his hands and waited for me to draw the card and tell him the result. He couldn't bear to look.

d10-2 Seeing the boys begin to learn about strategy and understand the rules to a point that they could use strategy to their advantage. They now search for Secret Doors & Traps regularly, they stick together more often and Isaac knows that Orcs can move more than 8 spaces.

To the Gift Shop

To make things worse, Riley was able to buy his Dwarf some Chainmail giving him a Defence of 3 to match his Attack. Alex and Isaac both saved their funds.

The Kill Count

The following numbers denote kills for this scenario. The numbers in brackets are their character's total over all scenarios so far.

Isaac (Barbarian)

4 Orcs (12)
1 Firmir (4)
1 Goblin (4)
0 Gargoyles (1 including Verag)
1 Chaos Warrior (2 including Gulthor)
0 Skeletons (1)
0 Zombies (1)

Total = 25

Alex (Elf)

1 Goblin (5)
2 Orcs (7)
0 Chaos Warriors (2)
0 Fimir (2)
0 Mummies (1)

Total = 17

Riley + Patty (Dwarf)

4 Orcs (12 including Ulag)
0 Goblins (6)
0 Chaos Warriors (3)
2 Fimirs (4)
0 Mummies (1)
0 Skeletons (2)
0 Zombies (1)

Total = 29

The Quest Rolls On

Make sure to join the Thomson Boy's next adventure as they enter Melar's Maze.

More traps and a few luckier dice rolls and I could get my first kill. The boys were lucky to have 2 Healing Options this scenario, I hope that won't be the case next time.

Links

Adventure #1 - Blooding a New Generation of AT Gamers

Adventure #2 - The Thomson Boys Save Sir Ragnar

Adventure #3 The Thomson Boys - Gimli's Comedic Sense of Timing

Adventure #5 The Thomson Boys - When Heroes Turn to Cowards

Adventure #6 The Thomson Boys - Dark Days

Adventure #7 The Thomson Boys - Tanks for the Memories

Adventure #8 - The Thomson Boys - Tricks and Traps

Adventure #9 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarf goes Mining

Adventure #10 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarf, an Elf and a Barbarian walk into a Magic Castle...

Adventure #11 - The Thomson Boys - A Dwarven King Departs...

Adventure #12 - The Thomson Boys - Tombstones and Trinkets

Adventure #13 - The Thomson Boys - A Sword to Far?

Adventure #14 - The Thomson Boys - A Light at the End of the Tunnel...(Staaay awaaay from the Liiight)

Links

I have now added all of these sessions to a Geeklist to have them in one place. You can find these and many other Session Reports here :-

Narrative Tales - Legacies and Other Campaigns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough little Gimli did amazing again, and now he has Chainmail, just to cool, every dwarf needs Chainmail. He was 1 behind in kills this time, but he still leads the way with 29 big kills
I really like how Alex chooses different spells every time - I think that is really smart of him to learn what he has access to, I always enjoy being a spell caster.

DJ is learning strategy , you are in so much trouble Dad, just wait a few more adventures when they have all kinds of maginc and new stuff they bought - unbeatable I tell you, simple just to tough that Power Trio of yours!!!!

If you got a good map , I am in Costa Rica, on the Osa Peninsula, on the Pacific Coast - near Panama ( Nat. Geographic magazine has called our peninsula the 2nd most bio-diverse place in the world. Gimli would really enjoy it here since we are home to the 2nd purest gold in the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another excellent chapter in this continuing saga. Thanks to you and your family for sharing these with us. Heroquest is a treasure trove of good times, and a splended way to hook your kids on gaming forever.

(Texas chiming in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, as usual.

The 'Searching for Treasure' does get insane after a while! Not enough monsters in that deck.

It'd be neat to see a picture of the map you've created for them sometime

Look forward to the next adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron du bois
United States
fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I stumbled across this thread today....had to read all of your sessions.
Sounds like fun for all!
Excellent posts.

(Fredericksburg, VA)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the positive words.

I'll try to get a copy of the map up here soon. I'm not a pro with images yet.

The next adventure will be tomorrow before I head off to a 3 day Con. I'll do my best to get the report up before heading off.

The boys have been nagging me relentlessly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.