Rob McFadden
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Game night any night!
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is partly in response to the recent suggestion that Werewolf should be eliminated from the BGG database (heresy!). But mostly, it's to share and memorialize the good time we had.

Finally, I hope it serves as an example of how solid info can lead to a questionable conclusion. This is what I think makes Werewolf a great game. Varying amounts of pressure exist to force players to depart from solid data and make the jump to intuitive or semi-logical actions. Managing this pressure is a huge part of the game, and knowing when you need to "take a chance" is often the difference between winning and losing.

We had a couple of seven player games of Werewolf with the family on Saturday. We needed to improvise for cards, so we used "Five Crowns" cards for the roles. As Moderator, I decided to not use the Seer, instead including the Witch. I thought this would most likely cause us to have an odd number of players for voting. With a Seer, there would be an even number of players every day.

In the first game, Maureen misread her card. She thought she was the Werewolf, but had been dealt the Witch card. The real Werewolf, Kerry, didn't even realize someone else's eyes were open - she didn't have her glasses. Maureen eliminated Dot, but in the morning re-checked her card and fessed up to her mistake. Dot complained, "Everytime you're the Werewolf, you take me out the first night!" We all laughed (it was funny because it was true!) as I reshuffled the deck.

So we started our REAL fist game, and lo and behold, the Werewolf is Maureen. Without hesitation, she selects Dot. The Witch, Bob, is shown that Dot is the victim, and uses his healing potion to revive her.

So we wake with all seven members still alive. After much discussion, Bob says "I have reason to believe that Maureen is not the Werewolf." Now Bob doesn't make statements like this very often. When he does, they carry alot of weigh. Essentially, Maureen wasn't even considered the rest of the game, as everyone assumed she was the victim the first night.

When the game ended with a victory for the Werewolf, everyone wanted to hear from Bob. "Well, I just thought for sure that Maureen wouldn't take out Dot after the fuss Dot made last game."

So there it was. Bob felt forced perhaps a bit too early to depart from the "Cold Hard Facts" and extrapolate info. That decision (and the players' decisions to follow his suggestion) caused the downfall of the village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.