Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've recently played my first two Battleline games and rather enjoyed the experience.

Yet I have to say that one matter troubles me: One player may choose to almost entirely limit the game to regular troop card play.

In both of my games that's precisely what I proceeded to do. After my opponent went ahead and played on tactics card, I simply put the breaks on tactics cards and thus ensured he could never play another. Worked out pretty well for me as I won both games.

This seems like a pretty sound approach. Drawing all those troop cards helps and tactics cards limit your regular troop card hand size.

It seems to me that the tactics cards really make this game a lot more interesting than say Lost Cities. Yet the above strategy pretty much negates this feature should it be as sound as I thought it to be. This seems like a great shame and prompts me to enquire whether:

a) I'm missing something major which makes drawing and frequently playing tactics cards a superior approach to a restrictive policy on the above lines.

b) Failing the above, you recommend a variant tweak adressing this perceived issue.

I've already been mulling over some variant ideas, such as:

In your turn immediately following a flag capture of yours, you may play a tactics card on a flag adjacent to the one your just successfully claimed without this tactics card counting against your overall number of played tactics cards.

I think that would nicely allow you to exploit a breakthrough you just managed to make. This adds more scope for strategic planning, quick decisive turns on the battlefield and more uncertainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your strategy can work.....if...and I reiterate if...you have a good hand. If your regualr troop cards are not winning you any battles then you may have to resort to picking up some tactic cards.

Have a few more plays and I think once you start having troubles....especially early in the game you may just want to consider getting one tactic card to help out. Of course once more than one tactic card is in play the temptation for both sides is too play just one more to tip the balance in your favour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play your first tactics card early and decisively, your opponent will not likely be able to hold of playing a tactic card for long, unless, as noted above, he has a very good hand.

Playing them is a very important part of playing the game aggressively, which usually leads to most of them getting played. Of course, sometimes withholding the opportunity to play them from your opponent is a very strong tactic, but I find this doesn't usually come into play until later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not had that problem with my friends from the gaming group, but my wife caught onto it quickly and whenever I play with her she frequently uses that move to 'block' me from playing tactics cards.

I do like your idea for a house rule though, I will try it out.

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like being able to blockade the tactics cards if the position calls for it. I tend not to play tactics cards that often unless I'm forced to to prevent myself from being wiped out, but there are times when the advantage one conveys at a particular time is too great and I'll make the first play then. Every once in a while you have crazy games where the entire tactics deck is gone through, though, and that can be fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, firstly, I think the game is great even without Tactics cards. The game is in the Troops, not the Tactics.

Anyway, the Tactics cards are powerful, no doubt about it, thus it's fair to play to both encourage and limit Tactics cards. Prevent your opponent from playing further Tactics cards only affects him if he has any Tactics in his hand. If he puts himself into that position, well, then you're just taking advantage of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is definitely in the troops, but I like the idea of there being a way to mitigate really lousy card draws, which happen frequently enough. Of course, there's still risk because if you draw a tactics card and don't get something you can use your doubly hurtin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not just in the troops, the game is better with just the troops. You shouldn't be troubled by the ability to not use tactic cards as these add an increasing amount of luck to a game that, when played best out of three, is almost like chess.

As for Tactic cards being necessary to offset a "bad hand" I have to say that, after playing this game about 100 times without tactic cards, I have yet to see what a "bad hand" is. You almost always get a combination of low and high numbers, sometimes you get lucky and draw into a straight flush early on, but either way skill determines the winner of a match (2 out of 3) rather than the cards you draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.