David Hawkins
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. 3 games down and we have two rules questions that came up.


1./ If you place a colonist in the specialist training ($5) box, do you have to then go ahead and actually proceed to do it, or like a capital building you can change your mind when the time comes. The reason this came up is that it was felt that by placing a colonist there, you have prevented someone else from getting that opportunity and therefore should at a minimum be forced to spend the $5. Any thoughts.



2./ The orange player had 2 soldiers and 4or 5 colonists in New Spain. The green player had 3 colonists and the yellow player had 2 colonists. The orange player (ie 2 soliders) had elected to conduct a battle against the green player. However she chose to only use one of her soldiers thereby only taking out one of the green colonists, meaning that neither green or yellow would get the two points. The yellow player (ie me!) questioned this on the ground that he felt she should have had to use both soldiers thereby taking out 2 green dudes resulting in yellow getting the 2 points for second. Anyone else come across this, should orange have had to take out two green colonists (given she had two soldiers) or could she decide to just use one solider.



PS. Yellow (ie Me!) won by one point anyway so thankfully it didn't get in the way.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidhGeek wrote:

1./ If you place a colonist in the specialist training ($5) box, do you have to then go ahead and actually proceed to do it, or like a capital building you can change your mind when the time comes. The reason this came up is that it was felt that by placing a colonist there, you have prevented someone else from getting that opportunity and therefore should at a minimum be forced to spend the $5. Any thoughts.


Indeed by placing a colonist there a player does block other players from selecting this option, a move which costs that player one colonist. The rules state;

A player who has chosen the training box can pay five gold and pick any one specialist.

Note the 'CAN' it's not obligatory. However what confuses me is your groups suggestion that the player on the $5 box should be forced to spend $5 'as a minimum'. What would be the point of spending $5 and not taking a specialist?

DavidhGeek wrote:

2./ The orange player had 2 soldiers and 4or 5 colonists in New Spain. The green player had 3 colonists and the yellow player had 2 colonists. The orange player (ie 2 soliders) had elected to conduct a battle against the green player. However she chose to only use one of her soldiers thereby only taking out one of the green colonists, meaning that neither green or yellow would get the two points. The yellow player (ie me!) questioned this on the ground that he felt she should have had to use both soldiers thereby taking out 2 green dudes resulting in yellow getting the 2 points for second. Anyone else come across this, should orange have had to take out two green colonists (given she had two soldiers) or could she decide to just use one solider.


The rules state:

In each battle, each soldier eliminates one enemy unit (colonist or specialist).

Unlike the previous rule quote example there is no 'can' or 'may', so each soldier must eliminate an enemy of the same colour.

The rules for this game are an excellent piece of work, well laid out and very clear.

DavidhGeek wrote:

PS. Yellow (ie Me!) won by one point anyway so thankfully it didn't get in the way.


Well done. Be thankful Orange hadn't opted to battle yellow and given Green 2 points. That might have got in the way.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hawkins
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
What would be the point of spending $5 and not taking a specialist?


I completely agree.

And given your point on "CAN" then I guess its ok to choose not to go ahead with it. Thanks.


Big Bad Lex wrote:
The rules for this game are an excellent piece of work, well laid out and very clear.


I agree. We read the rules and played our first game. We only got one thing wrong and that was our error and not the rules.


Big Bad Lex wrote:
Well done. Be thankful Orange hadn't opted to battle yellow and given Green 2 points. That might have got in the way.


Ahhh! The beauty of watching someone else make the wrong choice! - when it favours yourself of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.