Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made up 6 new homeworlds, I've played them all about 5-10 times. I'm not guaranteeing balance, though they are at least not grossly imbalanced

Edit: Removed Secret alien research world, added Parliament world. Parliament world currently not tested yet.

I tried to give them interesting and new abilities, at least some of which will always be helpful for any given position.
Havent figured out turn order numbers for them yet.

Tradesman's Guild
Novelty Widfall World (cost 2 / 1pt)
II/III: You may discard the good from this world to reduce the cost of a develop or settle by 1. (i.e. the San Juan black market ability, for this world's good)
V: Produce onto any Windfall world.

Comments: This is kindof a cross between galactic engineers and earth's lost colony. Its like Earth's lost colony in that it can be a blue production world, but instead of consuming it coes with a good, and it could produce onto a more powerful windfall world instead.

Edit: It was too weak, so I added the ability to use the good on the world as money. This can help hand size issues a bit.

Pirate Lair (defense 2 military world, 2 pts)
+1 Military
$: Whenever you trade, get 1 pt. (Note: This is a trade bonus and thus doesnt apply to black market trading world, though it does to trade league)

Comments: Usually worth a couple to a few points in trading, depending on how much you do it.

Edit: I added 1 pt to its value because I thought it was a tiny bit weak.

Bio-Engineering World (cost 2 / 0 pt)
II: -1 cost to develop (like an Investment Credits)
IV: Gene for 1 card/1Pt

Comments: The power is in the development discount, which is generally at least somewhat useful. I found the public works power to be a bit too strong because it would give you something when you build 1 cost developments.

Edit: I removed its pt, as the develop power can lead to very strong development strategies, and its basically always useful.

Nanobot World (cost 3 / 1 pt)
III: -1 Cost to settle
IV: 1 good for 1 pt (standard consume power)
V: Draw 1 card for each Alien Tech good you produce (the research lab ability)

Comments: The main advantage is the -1 settle cost, you may or may not end up using the other. You dont have to get aliens to make this world useful.

Edit: Was a bit weak, the settle reduction doesnt help military, and the alien production power is very hard to use. Added a small consume power.

Bounty Hunter World (Cost 2/1pt)
I: Look at +1
III: +2 Military towards genes and alien worlds.
IV: Any Good for 2 cards

Kindof like sparta but with military for gene/alien only. Can go into a big military strategy by getting alien worlds that give military, or can just get an early windfall world. The explore bonus helps you find the right military worlds, and the consume power can be a curse or a blessing.

I also removed Secret ALIEN Research World as it was too narrow. It was either almost worthless or too strong depending on what
you drew, which is bad.

I have now added another world to replace it which I want to try out:
Parliament World (2 Cost / 1 pt)
III: -1 cost grey worlds / +1 military grey worlds.
V: Produce 1 card.

Comments: Theme here is a government center, which produces an income (taxation), and can more easily gain control of non-production worlds, which tend to represent population centers.
Sean McCarthy came up with the -1 cost/+1 military to grey worlds power, which I think is an interesting minor power and I wanted to use it. I liked having a world with the ability to produce a card, so when I removed Alien research world I wanted to get it back onto a different world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Tradesman's Guild
Novelty Widfall World (cost 2 / 1pt)
V: Produce onto any Windfall world.

Comments: This is kindof a cross between galactic engineers and earth's lost colony. Its like Earth's lost colony in that it can be a blue production world, but instead of consuming it coes with a good, and it could produce onto a more powerful windfall world instead.

Interesting concept -- since it starts off 'weak' but can transfer its production to another windfall later, abandoning its own production capabilities in favor of another planet.

I probably would have called this one 'dying world' or something - implying they wanted to get off soon.

Quote:
Pirate Lair (defense 2 military world, 1 pt)
+1 Military
Trade: Whenever you trade, get 1 pt. (Note: This is a trade bonus and thus doesnt apply to black market trading world, though it does to trade league)

Comments: Usually worth a couple to a few points in trading, depending on how much you do it.

I'd probably compensate the trade by making it $:-1/+1VP, allowing you to take one less card in return for 1 VP. Not MUCH of a ding, but I'm leery of someone with a single windfall being able to trade and generate VP without some sort of 'check'.

Quote:
Bio-Engineering World (cost 2 / 1 pt)
Develop: -1 cost to develop (like an Investment Credits)
Consume: Gene for 1 card/1Pt

Comments: The power is in the development discount, which is generally at least somewhat useful. I found the public works power to be a bit too strong because it would give you something when you build 1 cost developments.

-1 to ALL develops... adding another of these into the deck means it's possible to start dropping 6-cost develops for 1 card. That scares me a bit. I don't think that the public works power (after development build, take one card in hand) would be overpowered.

Quote:
Nanobot World (cost 3 / 1 pt)
Settle: -1 Cost to settle
Produce: Draw 1 card for each Alien Tech good you produce (the research lab ability)

Comments: The main advantage is the -1 settle cost, you may or may not end up using the other. You dont have to get aliens to make this world useful.

-1 Settle on everything... ouch. I'm not sure why that seems powerful out of the box. I'd prefer to see a rebate (when you settle, draw a card) over a discount -- mostly because discounts make it easier to get things out THIS turn, and rebates make it easier NEXT turn.

Quote:
Secret ALIEN Research World (Cost 3/ 1 pt)
Consume: Alien Tech for 2 pts.
Produce: 1 card

Comments: The card production is the main advantage, it can help a production strategy or leech. The alien consume is cool and can be useful late in the game with a windfall alien world for a vp strategy, or for getting some pts while conquering alien worlds in a military strategy.

Would this count for the 6-dev which mentions ALIEN cards?
I'd have to monkey with the IV: (alien) => 2VP power -- because Alien worlds already get a fist full of cards, giving them an easy end-game consumer might be over the top. VP+card doesn't hurt my head.

Quote:
Explore: Look at +1
Settle: +2 Military towards genes and alien worlds.
Consume: Any Good for 2 cards

Kindof like sparta but with military for gene/alien only. Can go int oa big military strategy by getting alien worlds that give military, or can just get an early windfall world. THe explore bonus helps you find the right military worlds, and the consume power can be a curse or a blessing.

You said they're not balanced, and the cost on this one is definitely out of whack. It seems like it's doing far too much for it's cost and VP value. I'm not sure how to reign it in either...

-=-=-

General comments:
It's great to see some new card ideas out there, but I'm not sure how well they 'play with others' in the deck. They might be good 'replacements' to the the base home worlds - but I'd be leery of dropping them as 'extra's in a card deck without some playtesting to balance them out.

I'd look at the periodic chart that's been published and try to 'fit' these into the holes on the chart... Notice that the homeworlds are clustered pretty tightly on the chart - so in my own though experiements, I've been trying to fit new homeworlds 'nearby'.

I really like the 'windfall that produces on any windfall' idea... that has some really interesting playspace concepts.

Hopefully you'll be submitting cards when expansion 1 comes out, some nice ideas to work off of here.

{edits: typos}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Explore: Look at +1
Settle: +2 Military towards genes and alien worlds.
Consume: Any Good for 2 cards

This looks a little too powerful, but I certainly expect some world with an Explore power in the next set. There looks like each Homeworld has an 'expected' first move, which would tie into also having a development bonus HomeWorld as well.

This looks very good as a power. +2 for Genes in itself means all the Uplift worlds work well, so something for Genes only would work. 1 good for 2 cards seems more powerful than standard, so I'd expect the VP cost as you've written to be lower.

I alos wonder... a Rebel and Imperium homeworld?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played with these, I think they're all fair enough and definitely fun to play with. I like that they don't tend to force you into specific strategies which are already good.

byronczimmer, I disagree that the Bounty Hunter World is imbalanced. I don't find specialized military to be nearly as useful as normal military, and the card consume ability does not exactly synergize with the affinity for genes/aliens. Consume abilities can be annoying when you settle a big windfall and someone else trades.

In determining how good they are, I mentally compare them to Alpha Centauri. Would I rather have AC or one of these? I'm not sure. I think that the most important part of a homeworld is how quickly it helps you get off the ground, and none of these are too good at that. They are about +1 card per round at most. There are tons of cards in the deck you can play for cheap (for example, Investment credits) while drawing three cards on your first turn with AC that simulate, for example, Bio-Engineering world but with better card selection (plus an empty brown windfall and brown discounts).

I'm not too worried about being able to play a 6-dev for 1 either. Is the difference between 1 and 2 that big? I don't think I'd care at that point. If anything I would be most worried about the Tradesman's Guild being a bit strong.

My one criticism of these is I think the number of alien-related ones is too high. So I think you should add, say, two more homeworlds that are unrelated to aliens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think bounty hunter world might be too weak. I added the explore boost because it was too weak initially. It often doesnt do anything except allow an early gene (or alien robot sentry) settle, and then threaten to eat the good off it.

I agree that there are too many alien related ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one I'd like to see:

Collapsing world (cost 0/6 points)
-Discard from the game(not back into the deck) to settle any planet or receive +3 military.
+1 military

This card may never be placed in the deck. It is only to be used as a homeworld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris denney
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
i like this one alot... just the fact that even if you don't use it's uber cool power, it's still worth 6, is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I too really like this card. It gives an extra layer of choice that doesn't currently exist in the game.

But cost 0? For a +3 military card? That's got to be somewhere in the 3/4 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cost doesn't matter as it's never in the deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point is to balance it so it can be in the deck.

The concept is great, basically a 'new military tactics' in a world, the values are probably off.

I'd definitely want the option as a military player to use this 'one shot' during play.

I don't think there's any reason to restrict it to only being a homeworld -- just have to adjust the starting VP. Six is 'great whopping goo-gobs' of points, and Homeworlds don't always add much to a strategy, so six is probably 'too many'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Cheung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(For Collapsed world)

6 VP feels like way too much for a homeworld...even without counting the extra powers.

I mean, in perspective of the existing cards, this one is the equivalent of a Rebel Outpost, while being worth more points. Lets not even talk about adding on the New Military Tactics and a better Colony ship, which would only make it more valuable, although that power is pretty much a trap - there's precious little in the deck I'd give up 6 points for. There's only one military world that's worth more points. Maybe Lost Species ark world (which is my usual "optimal colony ship target"), but even there you're paying tableau tempo and 3 VP. The only things really in that league are the 6-cost aliens, where you'd pay 1 VP to get Alien windfall/production. As written, the cost would be at least 6 military (so probably 7 or 8 military) or at least 6 normal cost.

I'd probably make it a 2-3 VP homeworld. No innate military or no temporary military, to avoid timing confusion as whether the planet military can stack with the temporary military. If there's going to be colony ship ability, I'd probably limit to non-alien worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z D
United States
flag msg tools
I was humored to find this post when I got to work today, as I played some test games this weekend with some new starting worlds. The difference, however, is that I picked cards out of the deck that I thought would work well and put them out for the players to randomly choose from, instead of creating completely new cards.

I ended up with 2 of each color world (including "grey" which of course is non-production or colorless) with plenty of windfall and military worlds spread throughout. (12 cards total to choose from.)

It was kinda nice and refreshing to be able to start at a different point than with the 5 default start worlds. The cards I picked seemed pretty balanced too, but I'm sure there are flaws. I'll try and post what worlds I used sometime when I have access to the list I made.

I also considered playing a variant with *no* starting world to help the player choose their own starting strategy, but never did nail down the rules on placing the first world. (Did it have to be placed in turn 1, or the first time Settle is played, or perhaps there's no restriction...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamzd,

I would love to see your list. Maybe we can collectively refine your list too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z D
United States
flag msg tools
Absolutely!

I will try and post it tonight if I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like a variant we use:

Draw 8, pick one world and pay for it.
Payment is:
Defence value or Cost
+1 if it's a green windfall
+2 if it's a yellow windfall

Remaining cards form your starting hand.

This lets us use ANY world as a start world.

There are some other variants which are similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly make it a cost 2 / 3 point world?

The idea is to offer a choice of using it to get started with a really good world, or hang onto it for the points and start slower than everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z D
United States
flag msg tools
I finally got a chance to get my list of alternative home worlds near a computer...I made a new thread detailing the list, check it out here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of these, but have a suggestion for Pirate World to make it more thematic. Pirates don't trade, they raid!

It should earn its VP if anybody trades. This would make it too powerful, so maybe it could only get a VP if total trading exceeded a threshold, probably at least three or four cards total. So players can trade a novelty or maybe ores without triggering it, unless two players trade on same turn. But, if anything really lucrative is traded, the pirates strike.

Another option would for the pirate to take a card instead of a VP during any trade phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made some edits, after playtesting:

Tradesman's Guild:
Added the ability to discard the good on the world to reduce the cost of a develop or settle by 1.

Pirate Lair: Added 1 pt to value of world.

Bio-Engineering World: Removed 1 pt from value of world.

Nanobot World: Added consume: Good for 1 pt.

Removed Secret Alien Research World. (It ended up being either too strong or bad, depending on draws.

Added Parliament World:
-1 cost to settle grey worlds / +1 grey military
Produce: 1 card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parliament world was too weak. Gotta strenghten it somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about I: Look at +1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril Ronseaux
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This last 3 days we (my wife and I) playtested a few of your homeworlds : trademan's guild (whose name I don't like and renamed "Sculptors of Worlds" which sounds nice in French but I feel not that much in English ), Pirate's Lair, Bounty Hunters and Parlement World (I know we are of those rare people that prefer the non-advanced game).

That was using Brink of War, and not including those worlds into the deck (I didn't have the blanks with me to "hide" the self-drawn vs the official game cards). Regular 2- player game.

Trademan's Guild is an excellent one, balanced. I like to use the blue good for a dev or colonize discound on first turn. We also used it once or twice per game for discount during the game. We rarely used the production power to fill another windfall, yet the idea is great and welcome .

Pirate's lair is also excellent. Sure it only has +1, but with the "search" option, you rarely end up stuck. And the sell power gave us between 2 and 5 victory points a game. It's fun to play, and seems balanced.

Bounty Hunters we had hard times with this one. If you don't want to junk your research card too early, this one needs a yellow or green windfall (so most usually a green one) in hand to start with OR a blue or brown very cheap non military windfall. If you are ready to use the research, I would say search for X world has the most chance of ending with a green military windfall. All signs says "this world should work nicely" yet we find we discard it more than we pick it... why ?

Parlement World the production power sounds like a very good one, yet we find out we discard this one more often than we pick it. When we pick it, we gained 3 to 5 cards between production and grey discount. Yet I love the idea of the world. It once allowed me to place the "renegate world" (grey military 1 which consume for 1 card + 1 vp) it was a very nice asset to my ongoing consume strategy.

Nanobot World (-1 settle) I didn't use because I created one myself which also use the -1 settle and didn't want to test the two together yet.
Bio-engineers (-1 dev, consume for 1c+1vp) I didn't use because I find it too close to the galactic engineers (interstellar bank + consume for 1 vp).

At some point I'll be testing using some of the existing worlds (penal colony, new vindland, etc.) as homeworld then I might include those two last of you too.

Thanks for sharing those ideas with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryan
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made a rebel starting world which is the based on your imperial honor guard. It is a bit stronger than the imperial world.

Appreciate any feedback:
(outdated version see below)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
consuming VP for temporary military? hmm... not sure that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fair to me. It's hard to get VP early in the game but the consume power helps it a bit. Rebels don't usually get "+1 vs. Rebels", but thematically it works.

Still, since there's not many 1-cost Rebels to place (without using the power, which requires a VP), I'd suggest you give it a base +1 Military, with the VP discard for only +2. Once you've placed Space Marines or something, +3 is a huge jump for only 1 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.