Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if MMP) will ever get back to selling individual bits?

For example, I'd like the new Beyond Valor scenarios, but no way am I buying a new copy just for that (already have the maps pretty well covered).

I put this in the publisher forum instead of BV because that was just one example.

I understand it's difficult to do, but when you make changes to products as expensive as those, it's (in my opinion) bad form to make it that difficult/impossible to upgrade to your older/existing customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP reps have stated on numerous occasions that they're not interested in selling parts, apart from individual new-style mapboards once the map pack is completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
too bad for me

would be nice to buy just the countersheets , or as stated, scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks when so many of the (ASL at least) products are largely reissues with a great deal of component overlap with existing products/older versions. And they aren't cheap either.

I don't mind so much when it replaces an AH version, but when the product in questions is replacing an old MMP version it seems a poor way to treat your existing customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I think it's notable that Critical Hit, despite its many other faults, does still manage to keep every single ATS title in stock and sell parts for all of them. As with so many other things that MMP says is impossible, I'm more inclined to believe that they're just not all that motivated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CH's model is different. They print their own stuff and share counter sheets between the products. If something is out of print and you order it, you will get it next time Ray does a print run of it, but you can wait for a long time.

MMP would need to do (slightly) larger print runs and then inventory and store the parts. If they did that for ASL, IGS, and Gamers stuff it would be a big deal for their operation.

I would like them to stock parts also but if I had to choose I think it would be more valuable just to keep more of the games in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:

MMP would need to do (slightly) larger print runs and then inventory and store the parts. If they did that for ASL, IGS, and Gamers stuff it would be a big deal for their operation.

While I understand your point to a certain extent, I honestly don't much care if it's a big deal for them. At least not in terms of the ASL lines where they are rearranging the contents of core component of the system. ASL is already expensive enough, shuffling the contents around to go with reprints and not providing a way to update is a poor treatment of their existing customers.

If not component by component sales, than upgrade kits, or something are in order if they wish to continue rearranging the contents of existing products before reprinting. In my case, I'd still get hosed, because I have the maps already ( I think, I may be missing one, I'd have to check) but it would at least show that they're not hosing their older customers.

Keeping an inventory of every component from every game is probably unreasonable as you say. But, dang, it sure would be nice from a replacement parts aspect. Keeping an inventory of just the changed parts when you shuffle contents in reprints of the core products in a system represents a smaller jump in inventory load/overhead and is less onerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
That sucks when so many of the (ASL at least) products are largely reissues with a great deal of component overlap with existing products/older versions. And they aren't cheap either.

I don't mind so much when it replaces an AH version, but when the product in questions is replacing an old MMP version it seems a poor way to treat your existing customers.

it doesnt just suck

its ludicrous

"hey buy this rulebook and BV for 150 bucks"
" man thats a lot of cash
no sweat I cant wait to dig into the PTO, oh wait, the IJA is oop, dang, no problemo Ill Play the brits, oh, they are OOS too, dang, I guess its Eastern Front for me then..........."

they should have made the rulebook available, and then the main counters for marking , and all the HASLs should be self contained, just recquiring the Rulebook and the recquisite markers ( smoke, res fire etc)

how well would SK2 and 3 done if you needed previous ones to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

its ludicrous...

they should have made the rulebook available, and then the main counters for marking , and all the HASLs should be self contained, just recquiring the Rulebook and the recquisite markers ( smoke, res fire etc)

As much as I criticize MMP, I can't agree with this at all. There's no sense in making the system counters available separately from BV - who's going to want to play ASL without the German OoB? If someone desperately wants this for some reason, then make them pay through the nose for the parts. BV is and should be a required purchase. As for HASL's, I have no interest in paying extra for counters I already own. Most of the HASL's are enormous - why make people pay extra for what they already have? You need to accept that ASL is a game system, not just a bunch of loosely related standalone games a la ATS. While I agree that MMP could do more to support players with parts, you still have to recognize that buying into ASL isn't like buying into typical wargames.

Quote:
how well would SK2 and 3 done if you needed previous ones to play?

The SK's have a completely different audience and purpose. It's not a relevant comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brauner
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Course, it would be nice to not have to wait a gazillion years for Doomed Battalions (or any other ASL product). Yes, I know all the reasons why it takes so long, but still...

And, I'm not really hurting for scenarios, but there are a number I can't play without DB.

One thing that would be REALLY nice to be able to purchase or download separately would be all those overlays from OOP/OOS modules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Mitchell
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I've played all the scenarios I can. 2 or 3 times. I'm going to start complaining too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.