Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious what the sweet spot was with this game, and - more to the point - what kind of "feels" the various player counts give.

For example, even if the game is fun with 3-4, does it lend itself to a particular style of play over a higher count? Ect..

Anyhow, I'm on the verge of purchasing this. I just need to know that a 3-4 player game is worth the money (I've heard it really only "gets good" with 5-6 and that worries me).

Thank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tuxford
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more the merrier; of course!!

I've only played a 3 player game. The one thing you will need to be aware of with less players is military power is more of a focus because it is harder to wheel and deal and play one against the other. You have to accept that more players equals more politics and that one or even two races have not got the military clout to knock the others out on their own. In a 3 player, L1z1x and Muuat will have an advantage fighting the rest solo.

More players means more distractions for others achieveing their objectives!!devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played games with 3, 5, and 6 players, and I'd say that it really requires 5 or 6. Trade and politics are thin/transparent with only three players. Four players don't allow for bonus tokens on the strategy cards, and each player picks two cards per turn - not the coolest flow. I can't say that I wouldn't play with three or four players occasionally, but I wouldn't purchase the game without the intention of playing with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My experience says that 4,5 or 6 is the best. With the expansion you can accomodate up to 8 players, but I feel the downtime is too long then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me 6 is best, then 5, then 7, then 4, then 8, then 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four works really well, and you can actually finish a game in 6 hours.

Six, I imagine, would be amazing (I haven't played it that way). But I'm quite sure it would go into 8+ hours territory.

Three is not half bad. But not really exciting either.

We have never even attempted 5. The inherent asymmetry looks too game-defining. Plus, when the rules themselves discourage you from playing that way... well, let's just say there are better 5 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:

We have never even attempted 5. The inherent asymmetry looks too game-defining. Plus, when the rules themselves discourage you from playing that way... well, let's just say there are better 5 player games.

If we play with 5 we use this thing.

It makes the 5 player game symmetrical.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/211820

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big A wrote:
Mr.Baggins wrote:

If we play with 5 we use this thing.

It makes the 5 player game symmetrical.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/211820

Ingenious. I can't see why it wouldn't work (except maybe the psychological barrier you mention in the picture's comments). I might give it a go; mind you, we do not play TI too much this days (time issues).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Scare
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-2 players: You can try it with some unofficial variants if you really have nothing better to do.
-3 players: A attacks B, then C wins syndrome. Not recommended unless you don't mind "cold war" style of games with almost no fights.
-4 players: OK. But a pain in the neck for newbies as every player gets 2 strategy cards instead of just one.
-5 players: Nice and fun, specially with that "pizza without a slice" map, that is an OFFICIAL variant map for 5 players.
-6 players: The Real Deal.
-7 players: No idea, I guess it'll be OK. Expansion needed.
-8 players: You'll never manage to get so many players to play such a ling game Expansion needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is the 2 player version really that bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 players is my group's sweet spot. We love the fact that every strategy gets picked every round (as apposed to 2 left over each round in a 6 player game). Plus you get a little more room to grow before your neighbor tries to take you over.

In the 6 player games I've played, I feel a lot more confined, and maybe I'm biased because in my last game of 6, my neighbor started with War Suns, and immediately tried to remove me from the game.

6 players can be very fun, but it is a different experience than 4 players. 4 is the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Scare
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
So, is the 2 player version really that bad?

The game is for 3-6 players. So for two players you must use some unofficial variant. There are at least two here posted in the files section of the geek. One is an Star Wars "Empire vs Rebelion" thing, and the other... I don't remember, sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.