Subject: I'd like to take the chance to thank the Chargers and Giants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...for being a part of practically handing the !$!@ing Super Bowl to the New England Patriots.

Frak, now I have to wait until April for sports that I give two shits about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nieman
United States
Simi Valley
California (CA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I'd like to take the chance to thank the Chargers and Gi
franklincobb wrote:
...for being a part of practically handing the !$!@ing Super Bowl to the New England Patriots.

Frak, now I have to wait until April for sports that I give two shits about.

There's always hoping that the Patriots will go down to defeat.

It's a long-shot, but then again, nobody seemed to pick the Giants to make it this far.

Here's hoping the Giants' "Cinderella Story" continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibly disappointed that Favre and the Pack couldn't make it--would have been an incredible game. But there is no denying they got outplayed by a peaking Giants team, who deserved the victory. As much as it pains me to be writing this instead of an exhortation for my beloved Packers...go Giants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken, get a grip. You want to bitch at the Chargers, feel free, but the Packers have nobody but themselves to blame for losing their game. If they can't get past this Giants team--and now we know that they can't--they didn't stand a chance in the Super Bowl. The best quote I've seen so far about the Giant's chances in February came from Mr. Favre himself, who sounded pretty sincere to me when he expressed his belief that the Giants had more than a longshot to win. That's grace in defeat, and Packer fans (a group to which I belong) should take a leaf from that book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look man, I'm reduced to cheering for mercenaries at this point. Tuning in every week to say, "Hey, maybe YOU guys are the ones who can do it!"

If the Chargers and Colts played 10 games, the Colts would have won 9 of them.

As for Green Bay, I'm not a die-hard fan but I do like the old gunslinger. I think if they'd been "on" they'd have been more than a match for New England.

If New Yawk can get it done, I'll happily cheer them along. But it doesn't look good. Plus, it doesn't feel right cheering on a team from NY to defeat a team from NE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Plus, it doesn't feel right cheering on a team from NY to defeat a team from NE...

This is precisely why I'll be finding something else to do on Super Bowl sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since I had San Diego in Snoop's pool, I'm out of consideration for the $100. That means I have to hope the robots/Patriots win and end that Miami-is-the-only-perfect-team nonsense. I don't think I'll be watching, so I hope to read the next morning that the score was something like 52-10 (and I wouldn't be at all surprised at that). I will miss the commercials, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

Given that it was Billy Volek that stuck the dagger in the Colts' season, I'm not so sure about the 9/10 thing. If the Colts D couldn't get it done against Big B.V., and Manning failed on fourth down a couple of times late in the game, they just might not have a real claim to being better than the Chargers, let alone 9/10 better.

As for the Giants, I don't think they are just fodder for the Patriots machine. They'll be the underdog for sure, but they have a good running game, solid defense, and Eli is playing very well right now. Plus, they just stuck 35 on the Patriots recently. I think it will be a tight game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Well, since I had San Diego in Snoop's pool, I'm out of consideration for the $100. That means I have to hope the robots/Patriots win and end that Miami-is-the-only-perfect-team nonsense. I don't think I'll be watching, so I hope to read the next morning that the score was something like 52-10 (and I wouldn't be at all surprised at that). I will miss the commercials, though.

C'mon Randy, do you really want Floyd to get the 100 bucks? Or should it go to the guy who knew the least about football at the outset, and continues to do same? I had the great wisdom (and for me it was pretty damn great) to see that the Giants were the last best hope against the "Floyd tanked early to take the" Patriots. A vote for me is a vote for America, puppies, and safe, satisfying sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, maybe so. The Colts were banged up and not playing their best. Still, if the Chargers weren't going to do anything but show up and kick some field goals, at the very least the Colts would've found the endzone against the Pats at least once...

This has to be almost the least favorable matchup from an advertiser's perspective. The only worse one would've been San Diego against New York...*shudder* They'd have to tack on an extra half-hour for game time for all the jawing Burress and Rivers would've been doing against each other and any fans that happened to be nearby.

One way or another, we will see history...either 19-0 or brothers win back-to-back. I guess that's...something. So it will be with a clinical detachment that I watch the game. At least I like Eli, so that's something to root for.

How bad must it suck to be Eli Manning? He could win four Super Bowls and would still be "Peyton's brother."

And how bad must Peyton hate Brady? No Brady, and Peyton is far and away the shining star of the NFL. But no...Brady wins more rings, breaks whatever already monstrous records that Manning sets...I can see Eli giving one of the Pep Talks to the Giants "D" now...to paraphrase Dorn from Major League, "Break this f**cker's legs."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I have to hope the robots/Patriots win and end that Miami-is-the-only-perfect-team nonsense.

You *hope* the Patriots win? Well, aren't you a brave little soldier. As much as I'd love to see the Patriots lose in two weeks, it surely doesn't seem likely now. For the AFC we have an unstoppable powerhouse team that clearly dominated their competition. For the NFC -- well, somebody *had* to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Plus, it doesn't feel right cheering on a team from NY to defeat a team from NE...

A- frickin - men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
I have to hope the robots/Patriots win and end that Miami-is-the-only-perfect-team nonsense.

You *hope* the Patriots win? Well, aren't you a brave little soldier. As much as I'd love to see the Patriots lose in two weeks, it surely doesn't seem likely now. For the AFC we have an unstoppable powerhouse team that clearly dominated their competition. For the NFC -- well, somebody *had* to win.

Mr. Miami has spoken.

I'm sorry. I dislike the AFL Johnny-come-lately division of the NFL almost as much as I dislike the outlaw baseball league (AL, Junior Circuit). Those recent gravy train leagues just aren't my cup of tea. But I dislike even more seeing a bunch of pensioners pulling out their walkers and hobbling out to late-season games just to pull the cork on some champagne whenever the last team gets their first loss each season. It's so unbecoming and unsportsmanlike. So if rooting for the inferior division will end the septuagenarian equivalent of a stag party, I'm all for it.

Sorry, Cranky, but I'll have to hope for an AFC winner this time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
But I dislike even more seeing a bunch of pensioners pulling out their walkers and hobbling out to late-season games just to pull the cork on some champagne whenever the last team gets their first loss each season. It's so unbecoming and unsportsmanlike. So if rooting for the inferior division will end the septuagenarian equivalent of a stag party, I'm all for it.

Letting slide your complete and probably deliberate mischaracterization of the 1972 Dolphins, I still have to ask....

You're looking for a team that displays class and good sportsmanship, and so you're going with...the Patriots? Amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

A- frickin - men.

For the record, the Giants play in the great state of New Jersey, not New York!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkles Boner wrote:

For the record, the Giants play in the great state of New Jersey, not New York!

And though my mother was a native New Yorker, it was only my six years of residence in Union County that allowed me to feel the requisite connection to the Giants, and pick them in the pool. That, plus the obvious Patriots were long gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Nuh uh. Besides, a large part of deciding which is the better team is the ability to bring it when it counts. The Chargers brought it, even with the subs.

That's the beauty of the NFL (and every other professional and collegiate sport) over the BCS: Decide it on the field, not in media or fan opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Quote:

Nuh uh.

Well spoken, Dane.

laugh

I guess you're right. The team that makes it is the team that does it when it counts. I'm just still in shock that both top seeds in the NFC were gone. If you'd told me 3/4 of the way through the season that neither Dallas nor Green Bay would be in the Super Bowl, I would've said you were nuts.

Also, we have a state named New Jersey? Why wasn't I notified about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I'm just still in shock that both top seeds in the NFC were gone.

And the third seed. And the fourth seed!

This reminds me of the 1985 season, when the NFC produced one of the best teams of all time - the Bears. The AFC had a fifth-seeded team upset three other teams on its way to the Super Bowl and proceeded to get crushed - the Patriots.

This year, we have possibly one of the best teams of all time - the Patriots - and who does the NFC serve up? Another five seed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, I like your point about the Bears-Patriots matchup being echoed in the Patriots-Giants, powerhouse against fifth seed. But I don't believe the Pats played the Bears in the last game of the regular season. The Giants did play the Pats, and however much the game "didn't matter" because the playoff berths were already set, you could tell neither side was just faking it.

That game seemed to give the Giants grit. They were in it, and they know it. They've got to figure, if they came that close, they can do a little better, close the gap, actually take the Patriots down. It's just their luck that to clinch that deal they have to do it on Superbowl Sunday.

I don't know if the Giants will win, but I don't think they'll be embarrassed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Favocci
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcomfort wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

This reminds me of the 1985 season, when the NFC produced one of the best teams of all time - the Bears. The AFC had a fifth-seeded team upset three other teams on its way to the Super Bowl and proceeded to get crushed - the Patriots.

This year, we have possibly one of the best teams of all time - the Patriots - and who does the NFC serve up? Another five seed!

If you are going to bring up that example, I will counter with the fact that the Steelers won the Super Bowl as the AFC 6th seed in 2005.

What's with all the Giants hate. We're used to it by now, so don't stop. I was actually worried when Bill Cowher, Terry Bradshaw, and the Philadelphia Inquirer all picked the Giants to when on Sunday.

14 point underdogs? Do people not remember that the Giants had the Patriots beat by 2 possessions for 3 quarters in the last week of the regular season in Giants Stadium, where they play their worst football, in a game that was meaningless for them? I thought they would be 7 point dogs and 10 I could live with, but 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone hates the Giants...it's more just general indifference.

If they beat the Patriots, though...I'll be an honorary fan. Well, for at least that one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacBeth wrote:
tcomfort wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

If you are going to bring up that example, I will counter with the fact that the Steelers won the Super Bowl as the AFC 6th seed in 2005.

What's with all the Giants hate...

If you are partially referring to me here, I need to quote myself from up there ^^^^ for posterity's sake:

I, with no Giants hate at all, wrote:
As for the Giants, I don't think they are just fodder for the Patriots machine. They'll be the underdog for sure, but they have a good running game, solid defense, and Eli is playing very well right now. Plus, they just stuck 35 on the Patriots recently. I think it will be a tight game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
But I dislike even more seeing a bunch of pensioners pulling out their walkers and hobbling out to late-season games just to pull the cork on some champagne whenever the last team gets their first loss each season. It's so unbecoming and unsportsmanlike. So if rooting for the inferior division will end the septuagenarian equivalent of a stag party, I'm all for it.

Letting slide your complete and probably deliberate mischaracterization of the 1972 Dolphins, I still have to ask....

You're looking for a team that displays class and good sportsmanship, and so you're going with...the Patriots? Amusing.
If I were looking for good sportsmanship, I think I'd stay clear of the NFL (or NBA).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Favocci
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just seems that everyone is writing off the Giants. Will the Patriots win? Probably. Would they have won against anyone from the NFC? Probably. They were the favorite to win the Super Bowl since week 1. I don't think it will be the blowout a lot of people are expecting.

Looking at the NFC playoffs this year. The Cowboys were the best team, but were unprepared (I blame Wade Phillips and Tony Romo) for the playoffs. The other 5 for the most part are interchangeable with the Packers being the best of the group and the Redskins being the worst. The Giants will fare just as good as the Packers probably would have done in the Super Bowl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.