Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Does anyone have any advice or care to offer a testimonial on virtual gaming? I'm not interested in games played online where a computer moderates the game state, but rather people playing games using virtual meeting tools, like webinar software or video conferencing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I love Virtual Gaming. I use Steam as my meeting tool and mostly play Team Fortress 2. It's a turn based game, but the turns are so fast that it simulates a real time environment.

People playing online via webcam? That sounds strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding member of Meeples Anonymous
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I use VASSAL to accomodate our gaming itch when we're not together. We play Memoir '44 and are getting ready to play Tannhäuser using the truly amazing user-created mods that are available. VASSAL has a huge number of board games, and you can either play against your opponent online in real time, or you can play by email by sending your log reports back and forth. If you know the rules, you can play.

We love it, and since we have to be apart quite a bit, we don't lose out on one of our favourite things to do together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not familiar with VASSAL....is it for playing only war/hex type games? Can you play other type boardgames via VASSAL?

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding member of Meeples Anonymous
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL can be used to play a large number of board games, from custom designs to games available at your FLGS. For example, my husband and I play Memoir '44, and it is JUST like playing it across the table from one another. Tannhauser is another one we've just learned how to play in person, and we are taking that one to the VASSAL servers as well. There are a wide variety of games available, from Battlelore to Lord of the Rings to Dreamblade.

Here's their link:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

And They Are Free.

Check them out - it's a terrific way to get that real board game feel when you're separated by miles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Moriaiwe wrote:
My husband and I use VASSAL to accomodate our gaming itch when we're not together.

The problem with tools like this is... what if the game isn't that sort of game? What about Werewolf? Or information dense games like Advanced Civilization? Even trading or auctioning seem hard to manage quickly...

You have a friend in New York, and you live in LA. You want to play Coup together - how do you do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
A friend of mine and I tried to board game with web cams... didn't work.

We did play Battlestations of VASL the other night though: worked great!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

The problem with tools like this is... what if the game isn't that sort of game? What about Werewolf? Or information dense games like Advanced Civilization? Even trading or auctioning seem hard to manage quickly...

You have a friend in New York, and you live in LA. You want to play Coup together - how do you do it?

You use VASSAL. You do realize that this is a real-time system? You use Skype, or equivalent for voice communication. Everything you do at a table, you can literally do online at the same speed and same effect. We're not talking about email here, we're talking you want to flip a card, you flip it--you're opponent sees it. You want to bid on it, you bid on it, they bid on it, etc. Go look at the software page, it's exactly what you want.

If there are game you want to play that haven't modules yet, you can easily create your own--scan the bits, set the thing up, send the files to both players. There are literally hundred of game modules already created for you.

There is very very little difference between playing face-to-face and playing via VASSAL--except perhaps no set-up, no shuffling, clean up. But I suppose if you want that as well, you're pretty much out of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oh and btw, if you want Coup in particular, you will need to scan and create the files yourself and then keep it quiet. Steve Jackson Games will NOT allow any posting of their IPs online in any format. But there is nothing to stop you and your friend from using the VASSAL system to play, just from distributing it. There are a few companies like this: SJG, L2, and Avalanche Press (though they may be changing their stance to some extent--hurrah!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any solo game play with VASSAL? I noticed a Pocket Civ module on the site...I thought this was a solo game.

Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can play all the games solo--works great for those huge-map wargames you might want to play solo that may otherwise take up the diningroom table for months! Plus there are several actual solo games which have modules including Ambush! and Silent War, and undoubtedly others I am not familiar with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprydle wrote:
You can play all the games solo--works great for those huge-map wargames you might want to play solo that may otherwise take up the diningroom table for months! Plus there are several actual solo games which have modules including Ambush! and Silent War, and undoubtedly others I am not familiar with.

This is ggrreeaatt! (To quote Tony the Tiger) Uh, but I'm very new to VASSAL, how do I go about playing a game solo, such as Pocket Civ, or Ambush!...is there an AI built into it...how does solo work with VASSAL?

Thanks for your help, and for your patience!
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Sprydle wrote:

This is ggrreeaatt! (To quote Tony the Tiger) Uh, but I'm very new to VASSAL, how do I go about playing a game solo, such as Pocket Civ, or Ambush!...is there an AI built into it...how does solo work with VASSAL?

Thanks for your help, and for your patience!
jrbentley

To play Ambush, you do it exactly the same way you would play it for real. You even need the paragraph book and mission cards, as I think the module only emulates the actual game board.

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.