United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Last week I brought Race for the Galaxy to my game group. He had never played before so the first game was a learning game as he began figuring out the symbols and the basic mechanics of the game. I ended up winning by a large margin, but he was interested enough in the game to demand a second play immediately afterwards to learn more. He really had no chance, as I set up a production/consume scheme that could consume all of my cards for 8 VPs (when using 2xVP consume). As is typical for a new player, he spent most of the game trying to figure out what the symbols meant and didn't pay any attention to strategy.

The second game led to him beginning to attempt a rough strategy for the game. He set up a system that allowed him to place planets very quickly and keep his hand supplied. I still managed to win, but only by triggering the end game by VP chips before he could place more planets. This game was played by the full 2-player rules, with each player selecting two phases per turn. Casey did not like this format as he didn't feel confident enough in the game to be able to plan his hand and plan for two phases. His plan wasn't set till about a third of the way through the game as he waffled trying to figure out how cards worked together. It finally clicked and he went forward with a basic plan. This was the lowest scoring game I have seen, I won with on 23 POINTS!

The third game we returned to the one phase per turn format. I ended up winning again with a military strategy. I started with New Sparta and was dealt three low cost military planets that allowed me to get down on the board fast. Casey started with no real strategy and then decided to pursue an Alien path, but it was too late for him to recover and try and win. He might have chose the Alien path because I had explained to him between the second and third games that the Alien strategy is very strong if it can be pulled off.

Casey still has rough spots, but he has most of the game down. He was interested enough to want me to bring it again next week so he can finally "get" the game. I think it is just another game or to before he is strongly competitive and capable of beating me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good feeling when someone you teach a game to perserveres long enough to become strong enough to beat the teacher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.