Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TCS/OCS/SCS isn't World in Flames, so the most recent rules are usually the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent rules are always the way to go for any of the *CS series games. Sometimes you might need to ask on CSW if it's unclear how an older rule should play out in a newer revision. But such cases are generally very minor, and the newer rules revisions provide for cleaner play in most situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others. With MMP, the latest is the greatest. The latest TCS rules in particular are terrific. Despite that, I doubt any two players interpret them or play the game exactly the same way (and assaults in particular). And by the time you figure them out, they'll have changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend 4.0 for OCS. The changes are mainly in the Air rules, so it's not too big of a deal. Things were actually simplified a bit.

Cheers,
Jason
www.wargamedepot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above statements about using the most recent revisions. Dean is good about keeping his systems updated and current at MMP. Always go with the latest revision, there is a reason the rules were changed. If you want more info check out the CSW threads for each series. Ask questions, usually the creator (Dean Essig) will answer himself, other times the designers of the individual games will answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcjackso wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses, Pat and Hunga. Didn't OCS go through a pretty radical revision between v 3.0 and v 4.0? Were some folks miffed with 4.0? I can't remember the source, but I do remember reading something about major differences in the OCS rules versions, depending on what game you were playing.

I came in after 4.0, but I've only ever heard that the changes were in the air rules, and that those came down to a new, simpler system that accomplished entirely the same effect. FWIW, I don't know any OCS players that use anything other than 4.0, though admittedly I don't know a lot of OCS players. As suggested above, if you have questions, you should really post to CSW's OCS forum. Dean is absolutely the most supportive game designer I've ever seen, and I'm sure he'll give you the official word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with the latest version of the rules. Version 4 ocs is by far the best to start with, easiest to learn and the most well refined. It isn't even a question in my book. I have only played version 3.1 and 4, having said that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jones
United States
Jupiter
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcjackso wrote:
Trusted sources indicate that this game is only worth the the time it takes to set up if you're playing with exactly 4P." Contrast that with wargames, which typically stimulate lots of reading in history and biography...

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but still...
To each his own, my friend.

I'm right there with you, and I face the reality that the group I joined over the summer is very Euro-centric. This is due, as in my previous group experiences, that it is the concept of the group that causes this. While I enjoy the group dynamic, I will also be looking into VASSAL and ACTS in the very near future; I cannot escape my preference for the stimulation I get from wargames.

As far as the exaggeration...I don't see it as one. The more Euros that are released, the more designers (seem to) take mechanisms and apply them in different combinations. I make no argument for staleness or anything else, because I don't see that it has reached that point yet.

But, to each his own indeed.

Peace

Bruce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sheppard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That would be one direction, Firestone. Problem is, there's been a real switcheroo in the past 6 months. It used to be the Euros's that got played every week, while the wargame shelves got dusty. Now I've dropped both weekly game groups in addition to the once-a-month all-day gaming session, and can't really see any reason to bring either of them back. Meanwhile, I've discovered the merits of VASSAL, so my gaming habits are just the opposite of what they were a year ago. The only reason for me to buy ANY Euro at this point, is if I suspect I might enjoy it in the future AND I'm afraid it will quickly out of print. Meanwhile, I'm playing more wargames than ever before...

I've had a similar experience, only I'm lucky enough to get to play all these wargames face-to-face. My gaming breakdown generally falls between 1 or 2 "week night" games per week with an all day session of some "heavy" wargame about once or twice a month (usually OCS but just started TCS recently also).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sheppard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for OCS 4.0. 4.0 has been tested (to the degree that it's possible) with all previous titles to ensure backwards compatibility. I'm primarily an OCS player but my understanding is that each of the Gamers' series has a very active community so these games get played and retested a lot with each new rules revision. I think this translates into much better test coverage than you might otherwise expect for games of this size.

And one more vote for CSW. I hate the consimworld website itself but a lot of the info/communities there are worth checking out, esp. the ones relating to Gamers and MMP/IGS titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.