Capes & Cowls: The Superhero Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Review of components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It arrived last night so I am pretty keen to share. Share - not brag But as I seem to one of few who have managed to score a copy of this game so I thought I would add an initial impression/component review. As it’s not a true review I left it under “General” – I’ve never been greedy for GG.

Box – Approximately the size of a standard (A4/Letter) piece of paper (a bit smaller maybe) and about 35mm (1.5 inch?) depth. The box is well made, seems very sturdy and has great artwork. Inside every thing is well organised. All the tokens (Heroes/Villains, Crew, terrain, objects) are bagged and housed in a separate smaller inner box (which also has artwork) along with the rule booklet and separate adventure booklet. The Hero/Villain and Crew cards fill the other section along with 2 dice. The playing board – same dimensions as the box (it’s one piece and doesn’t fold) - is stored underneath. Rate: 4 out of 5 stars.

Rule and Adventure booklets – I won’t comment on the rules as I only read sections last night. However both booklets are the stand out for me. The rules are 30 odd pages, and 24 pages of adventures (1 page each) and Hero/Villain backgrounds. Each has reasonably thick paper, bound in comic book style covers. The interior artwork and lettering is appropriate to the theme – comic books of the era – is of good size and clarity. This seems to be a step up from a self published production. Though the interior pages are not glossy, the paper is thick and seems very durable. Rate: 4 out of 5 stars for presentation.

Hero/Villain and Crew cards – again printed/presented appropriately to the theme. The Hero/Villain cards are larger than a standard playing card, and the Crew cards smaller than the Hero/Villain cards fall somewhere between. Both are printed in clear bright colours (Bright not glary) with good size font – akin to the booklets. The card stock is of good thickness so should resist folds and bending. I do however fear that the lack of a gloss coat will mean the cards will wear perhaps quite quickly. Due to their unusual size it will be difficult to obtain card protectors. So I would love to know how others plan to protect theirs, or anyone else has any ideas. Rate: 4 out of 5 stars for presentation, 2.5 stars for durability.

Heroes/Villains, Crew, terrain, and object tokens – Ok it’s not 3D but you know who is facing who. They are on par with the cards described above. You get plenty of red and blue stands to clip the Hero/Villain and Crew tokens into. It’s also nice to get several baggies to hold them all – unlike some productions where you have to provide your own. Rate: 3 out of 5 stars.

Board – A single piece of cardboard covered in black material underneath with the unusually small playing surface on top. The playing surface has a gloss like finish and will stand up to more wear I suspect than the hero cards but mine was turning up at one corner – I suspect I might have to find another solution to keep the corners down – maybe make my own board. It’s of good thickness – thicker than your average – but extremely light – almost like foam. Rate: 3 out of 5 stars.

Dice – You get 2 nice sized (no wizkids tiny pebbles here) die, one blue, one red. What else can I say? Rate 3.5 out of 5 stars if you must have a rating.

Components Overall: 3.5 stars out of 5.

I will update the thread once I get the chance to read the rules entirely. I might even do a proper review if I get a chance to play it – we get few chances these days. It’s also probably not the first game my wife would choose to play either, but I am pretty keen so I’m sure I can persuade her

Would I pay $70 USD (including postage to Oz) again? – most definitely. Of course this might change once I actually play it but judging from others who have played and commented, I doubt this view will change – Hope to let you know soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on scoring a copy of this elusive game ... I am just getting my feet wet with the system and I like it more each time I play. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hero/Villain and Crew cards – again printed/presented appropriately to the theme. The Hero/Villain cards are larger than a standard playing card, and the Crew cards smaller than the Hero/Villain cards fall somewhere between. Both are printed in clear bright colours (Bright not glary) with good size font – akin to the booklets. The card stock is of good thickness so should resist folds and bending. I do however fear that the lack of a gloss coat will mean the cards will wear perhaps quite quickly. Due to their unusual size it will be difficult to obtain card protectors. So I would love to know how others plan to protect theirs, or anyone else has any ideas. Rate: 4 out of 5 stars for presentation, 2.5 stars for durability.

Congratulations on aquiring a great game.

I have had the game for 10 months and have played many, many games. Those cards are quite heavy and have held up great. They look just like they did when we played our first game. They are not really handled all that much (once per turn you turn them sideways to designate that the character has taken his turn). You place "pows" (hits) on them to designate wounds, but these are cardboard markers that will not damage them. I imagine that others who have owned the game for a long time will say the same thing.

However, your post made me think. I wonder if a clear, glossy finishing spray carefully and evenly applied would ensure even greater durability. I probably won't do this, since it has not been an issue, but if I decided to go that route, I would test it first on one of the lesser used crew cards.

We have had a blast with this game. It is too bad that it is not more readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting me know about the durability of the cards. If any cards need "testing" on I guess the goons as there are multiples of those. Looks like I won't bother to start with though.
Finished reading the rules and it's living up to all expectations - a great game. The rules themselves are very clear and while a couple of questions are in my mind - I'm confident they will be answered during play.
I haven't played yet but already I'm looking for an expansion. A real shame this isn't more available as all here have said - while the production quality as per my review is very good (or better) it begs for that "Days of Wonder" treatment - So long as they keep that comic book era feel of course which is one of its charms.
So I rate the rules (as a component - not a play perspective) 4 stars out of five. Let you know once I have played a solo game and then convinced my wife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.