Popular Tags: shipping [+] [View All]
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question in the main for US residents but all are welcome...

I'm trying to acquire a copy of Indonesia and the only shops I can find with it are overseas - I'm in Australia.

My query however is the widely different rates I'm being quoted for shipping from the United States. Three different sites offering shipping via USPS Express or Priority have quoted me $64 and $54, $50 and $42 and $44 and $38. I've had a Fed Ex quote of $34.

But if that aint completely confusing, I just took delivery of Twilight Struggle via a US seller on ebay who charged me $29 via USPS for Priority with tracking and insurance.

All of the dollar amounts above are in USD, so it is not conversions throwing things out. Anybody got any idea's about why the costs are so different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping is rarely calculated precisely 'at cost' since this is time consuming for both customer and retailer. And in addition to the actual price charged for shipping, there is the cost of shipping materials which is often considered part of the 'shipping and handling' cost. Finally, some individual sellers may actually be shipping through a store which offers shipping services, and not directly through the Post Office or shipping company, and of course these stores charge a premium atop the shipper's rates.

You can always quibble about shipping costs, but to me, it is the total price that matters. There are some eBay sellers who tend to sell goods 'at cost' and then make a couple dollars on the shipping--sell a few thousand items a year and this can be a reasonable overall profit (though really a heck of a lot of time involved!).

At least to Americans, 'free shipping' seems to be a highly valued (perhaps overvalued!) perk. Studies with online retailers have demonstrated that given a choice between free shipping, and some percentage amount off the order, most people will choose the free shipping--even where the total price is higher with that option! So, there is some incentive for American online retailers to quote shipping costs on the high end, then offer free or discounted shipping for larger orders, it makes people feel they are getting a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark. It's been making me chuckle the more I think about it, I mean consider...

I'm interested in the purchase because it's a meatier economic game...I'm only hoping it won't prove to be as difficult to value companies and mergers in the game as it is proving to value the game and shipping itself!!

You're absolutely right of course that the TOTAL cost is the all important one. But one thing I thought would be relatively consistent was the postal charge via the same service provider...Some of the quotes I've had vary by upto 80%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out http://postcalc.usps.gov/

I'm not sure how much Twilight Struggle weighs, but I put in 3 lbs. to Australia, and yes, Priority Mail is $29.50.
I'm sure Indonesia is much heavier than Twilight Struggle...it's also too large for the flat rate box. So it will be $38-42 from what I can tell, depending on whether it's estimated to be 5 lbs or 6 lbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
starspangledgirl wrote:
.it's also too large for the flat rate box.

Twilight Struggle and Indonesia are similarly sized 9" x 12" x 3" with TS in the slightly larger box. These will fit in the larger FRB2 Flat Rate Box that measures some 11 x 13. Cost for shipping this is $37 to Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping rates are often lower in the US then in Canada, but I'm not sure how the exchange rates differ between US and Canada from Australia.

The different shipping options we have for Indonesia from FunGamesCafe.com are these:
Purolator International (3 to 4 business days, guaranteed with tracking)
Base Price $130.86
Delivery confirmation Included
Signature option Included
Fuel surcharge $9.81
Total $140.67

Xpresspost International (7 business days, approximately with tracking)
Base Price $61.95
Delivery confirmation Included
Fuel surcharge $4.65
Total $66.60

Small Packet International Air (7-10 business days approximately, no tracking or insurance )
Total $47.45

Small Packet International Surface (4-6 weeks approximately, no tracking)
Total $19.60
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
US Mail is confusing.

There are several different options for shipping overseas:

1) First Class
2) Priority
3) Priority flat rate
4) Express
5) Fed-ex
6) UPS - United Parcel Service

First class may need to be under 4lbs.

Priority can provide a tracking number and a certain amount of insurance.

Priority flat rate is probably the best deal but it only works for smaller games. It's great for shipping the old classic bookshelf game.

First class is probably the cheapest, but I don't believe that you can get insurance.

Express is the most expensive and I haven't figured out what the benefits are, maybe a day or 2 faster.

I try to ship most of my stuff overseas Priority flat rate or first class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou Carol for the calc and thankyou all for the input. It is certainly helping me make head or tails out of the different quotes.

It does look like about $35 USD should get it here in around 7ish days.

Just for interest, I live rural. When something comes via the postal service it goes to my local post office and I have to drive in to get it. FedEx delivers direct to my door. Of even more curiosity to me is that FedEx gets it to me faster - for less. Yet many online shops don't or won't use them...oh well. Maybe I should try to get FedEx to get me a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I say that it is sad that I've worked for the USPS for almost 10 years and you guys seem to know more about pricing than me! Of course, I've been a carrier and a mail handler; they typically aren't "In the know..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for yucks....I think Indonesia is WELL worth the shipping. The box is not that big at all but weighs a bit...more than it looks anyways! Another thing is the box is not very think...so you may have some damage on it when it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USPS shipping has to do with 'zones'. I can ship the exact same thing from point A to point B and also from point B to point C with the geographic distance being the same, but since the 'zone' designations are different, I will pay different prices.

Also, don't expect the shipping you pay on ebay to be the actual shipping, even though you are entering your zip code or country to calculate the postage. That little feature is based on the weight the seller has entered for their item. I almost purchased a copy of Daytona 500 (a fairly light game) but the postage calculator was going to charge me over $10! I logged on to USPS, ran my own calculations and found that the seller had listed the game at over 6 pounds! When I emailed him about this possible error I was snubbed.

Why? Because ebay doesn't charge thier fees on money earned via 'shipping and handling', therefore a lot of sellers pad S&H in order to squeeze a few more cents out of a transaction.

With regards to the different prices with these stores, I would chalk it up to handling costs being factored in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since the weak dollar, I bought quite a few games from the USA, and the shipping costs varied greatly. Some sellers on ebay for example add an extra yield into the shipping costs which is reasonable to some extent because for example PayPal fees are higher for international payments (which are paid by the receiver of the money).

On the other hand I also received parcels were the printed on postage was higher than what was charged from me.

The only online-store I can think of which charges exact shipping costs is Bunker Hill Games, and this is because they calculate them manually. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the USPS rate chart for Australia here:

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941

Looks like Priority Mail would be $30-$40 for a typical game, depending on the exact weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou very much guys for all the idea's, links and input. It would seem to confirm that I was right to query the quotes. One seems very accurate, one is probably fair enough with a packaging and handling add on, but one is simply outrageous!

I think the comments made on price vs postage costs or "free shipping" are valid. Not entirely the case here, but I have noticed with other online purchases that sometimes the more the item "costs", the better the postage and handling can be.

Total out of pocket is what counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.