Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for playing with 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i am looking for advice on how to tweak a 2 player game (using one investigator each) so that the game is not overwhelmingly impossible, but not made too easy, and not bogged down with even MORE housekeeping because of millions of extra house rules.

We have tried only opening a gate every second mythos phase, but this seemed to make the game a bit too easy, and the pace seemed to slow down a lot. (Initially, very few monsters wandering around, little to do, eventually after a long time, we couldnt keep up with gates opening, and the ancient one appeared, but we managed to kill him easily because we had time to get powerful)

Someone suggested that they have 1 gate open per mythos phase as per usual, but when they felt the game was starting to overwhelm them, they revert to the gate opening every 2nd phase. This seems like an ok idea, but i dont like the subjectivity about it (it feels like 'cheating' - ooh the game is hard, so lets make it easier for ourselves)

Rumors seem to be able to cripple a 2 player game, but i dont want to take them out altogether. Im thinking maybe we can just pay their upkeep every 2nd mythos phase?

Any input would be appreciated (even if its to say you dont use any houserules, and we should stop being wusses, and just let ourselves get hopelessly devoured by the ancient one like real men)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carefully choose your investigators instead of randomly picking them. Then to give each at least a +4/+3 weapon of either mundane or magical origin to start if they don't already start with a weapon. I would also just choose skills that allow re-rolls instead of clue token spending. I would also try to get characters that have one or more of the following:

- a Focus of 2: allows quick adjustments and for the character to alter "roles" depending on the situation

- gains wealth every turn: easier to buy what you need if you lose items since you will not have other players to pass along the wealth.

- starts with clue tokens: with a few short hops you should be able to close a couple of gates pretty quick

Best AO for 2 player: Yig- just watch killing those cultists as it adds 1 doom token to the track.

Leave the rumors- they are just a tough break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: I just posted something similar in the Dunwich forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reagan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You may want to try my variant which I played a number of times with great success -- not that we always won, but there is a lot of tension while not being overwhelming.

There's only two simple rule changes:

1) Seal one of the most unstable locations (i.e. Independence Square, Witch House, Unvisited Isle, or Woods) by placing an Elder Sign on it at the beginning of the game.

2) Modified the Rumors so that they give you twice the amount of time to complete.

You can find details of my rules (including the Rumor changes I made) at this link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1572011#1572011

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
I am on the "no houserule" side of the spectrum. I probably played 5 two-player games before finally succeeding and winning one. Since then, my two-player win percentage (with the same other player) is around 75% over all.

I think that after a few games you will begin to drop the few houserules you use as you begin to get better at the game. And yes, Rumors can sometimes completely cripple your chances of success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it harder to win playing 2 players with 2 characters each instead of 4 players with 1 character each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou for your suggestions!

Im gonna play on the weekend with:
Quote:
Carefully choose your investigators instead of randomly picking them
(We wont give them extra items or things to start off with though)

Quote:
1) Seal one of the most unstable locations (i.e. Independence Square, Witch House, Unvisited Isle, or Woods) by placing an Elder Sign on it at the beginning of the game
Just wondering, does this sealed location count towards your end game victory - ie you only need to seal an extra 5 gates to win?

Quote:
2) 2) Modified the Rumors so that they give you twice the amount of time to complete.

You can find details of my rules (including the Rumor changes I made) at this link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1572011#1572011

Interesting idea on how to balance rumors, but i think the dice thing is a bit too fidly and random, so i think i will try resolving the rumors every 2nd mythos phase and see how that goes.

Quote:
Why is it harder to win playing 2 players with 2 characters each instead of 4 players with 1 character each?

I dont think its harder, i just dont want to use 2 characters per person because theres more housekeeping, and i prefer the more rpg lite type gameplay of using only 1 person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reagan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Boppl wrote:
]Just wondering, does this sealed location count towards your end game victory - ie you only need to seal an extra 5 gates to win?

Yes, you'd only need 5 more Gates to win. After a total of 6 Gates are sealed, play really slows down even with two players -- especially if 4 of the 6 Locations sealed are highly unstable areas.

Rumors are tough for two players because you can't be in a number of places at one time. If a Rumor comes out and you're stuck in an Other World, for instance, you may not have any time to resolve the Rumor even if you were capable of doing so. My idea was to give the Investigators twice as long to resolve them. (By the unscientific hypothesis that it should take 2 Investigators twice as long to resolve as it would 4 Investigators.) By managing a Rumor's Ongoing Effect every other turn you would achieve the same result as my die rolling. Actually, this method seems more elegant than rolling a die. With only two players, it would be easy to keep track, as only one player will always be tending to the Ongoing Effect. Note that my version of "The Terrible Experiment" is easier because I didn't place as many monsters initially on the card -- but 5 monsters should be doable.

With my variation you'll find a plethora of Gates opening initially -- but this happens even in 4 player games. Things, however, will start to slow down as you start drawing monster surges and start sealing Gates. The official rules for monster limits keep the monsters at a nice level. The rule bend for Rumors keep them doable. The Terror Track may or may not move much -- but this happens even in 4 player games. And you'll find that after you have two highly unstable areas sealed (including the first initially placed one) that the Gates start opening at a manageable level.

I highly recommend you try this variant. Every time I've played it I've always marveled at how similar the pacing of the game is to a 4 player game. You may want to start with one of the better Investigators or one of the easier Ancient Ones, but I've played this variant successfully with any Investigator/Ancient One combination.

Boppl wrote:
Im gonna play on the weekend

I'd be curious to know how you're game goes. Hope to hear a session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G R
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend & I play with 2 investigators each & typically win 4/5 games depending on the GOO. Having 2 players per person gives you a lot of options & game variety, especially if you draw contrasting characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, you can even play this game alone. But I was not sure if a 1 player games was as much balanced as an 8 player game.

So is it possible to play with 1 or 2 players without rule modification, with only 1 character per player and have fair chances to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G R
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play with 1-2 investigators sure, but it may be difficult to get ahead of the game with less than 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.