Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we brought BANG!, TransAmerica and Wits & Wagers to my cousin's house. She has a 10-yr-old who is very cute, very smart (I'm completely impartial of course), but pretty shy. She's very competitive when it comes to games (or Karaoke Revolution) -- she has to do well.

The 10-yr-old likes TransAmerica, though she doesn't win, but she does understand all the rules and has a good time. (It helps I tied her for last place -- friggin' Boston.)

Wits & Wagers was the final game to come out last night and The Wife and I ran my cousin & hubby (plus daughter) through one session to give them the gist. But I was surprised at how tough the game is for kids -- the numbers thing is very tricky.

For example, the first question was "what's the world's population". The 10-yr-old wrote down the symbol for infinity.

Now first -- how cute is that? Go ahead, you can tell me.

But really, it was pretty tough for her to grasp the "closest without going over" part. Toward the end of the game, she just started betting the people rather than trying very hard on the answers, but was pretty close to giving up.

W&W is a brilliant game and great for the party game crowd, but just a warning for folks trying it with the younger set -- it can be a frustrating combination of numerics & trivia that are out of their range. I'm sure for some 10-yr-olds it'd be OK, but compared to TA or the like, this is a bit rough.

One last note -- the final question was "if you weigh 100 lbs on the earth, how much do you weigh on the moon?" My cousin's husband's answer was UNDER the correct answer by .06 lbs, and he went all-in on his own answer. I was pretty impressed. Unfortunately, his wife beat him by $25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have noticed the same issue when adults and kids are playing mixed.

But you really want to have fun, have a bunch of teenage and younger kids play all together.

You really get some strange answers then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoffel wrote:
W&W is a brilliant game and great for the party game crowd, but just a warning for folks trying it with the younger set -- it can be a frustrating combination of numerics & trivia that are out of their range. I'm sure for some 10-yr-olds it'd be OK, but compared to TA or the like, this is a bit rough.

Thanks for the info. Usually we get feedback that W&W works well with the whole family, even 6 year olds. Hearing that type of feedback always surprised us since the questions were clearly designed for adults. So while your post is the first time I've heard that it did not work very well for a 10 year old, I am not surprised.

We plan to come out with a Wits & Wagers family edition for the 2009 holiday season. I think this is the edition that you will want for intergenerational play. Sorry that you'll have to wait for it (or invest in our company so we can hire several new people ASAP).

Cheers!
Dom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A family W&W sounds interesting, and thanks for the comment! I just started looking at the forums on BGG (I originally signed up years ago just so I could see full-size photos), and I think it's really great that the game developers get & give feedback with fans/customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.