Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come across this card twice now whilst playing CotDP, and i am finally turning to BGG to get your opinions on how it should be dealt with, or what the creators intentions would have been...

Here is my short re-cap of this Rumour for those who dont know it by name.

1) Place 5 doom tokens on this card
2)Every Mythos Phase, move one token from this card to the terror track and increase the terror level by 1
3)Any player may exhaust an Exhibit Item or discard a Unique item to negate both effects

Pass: If there are no doom tokens on the terror track when the last token is removed...

Fail: If there -are- doom tokens on the terror track when the last token is removed...

My problem is that at face value it seems like the effects that are negated by exhausting/discarding include the removal of doom tokens from the card! Therefore the pass condition can never be met! The way the card reads, the 2 conditions appear to be
1: Move doom token to terror track
2: Raise terror level

Now it seems unlikely that the designers would make an unpassable rumour that lists a pass condition, but it might just be another of Cthulus evil plots, and perhaps this terrible rumour is meant to hang over our heads until a new one enters the game... I wouldnt be surprised, knowing those GOO's! Tempting us with the slightest hope...

Obviously i use my own discretion during the actual game, but what do you think? Is this just badly worded, or is it meant to be a really really tough card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I know about the accuracy of the wording on Arkham Horror (or FFG Products in general) cards, I'd say it's poor wording, the reasoning being the same as you say: it would be an unpassable Rumor if it were otherwise.
I read the card as you propose: remove the doom token whether you place it on the terror track or not.

Quote:
perhaps this terrible rumour is meant to hang over our heads until a new one enters the game

Rumors are not replaced when a new one is drawn, instead if you draw a new one, the card is discarded ignoring the rumor (only the gate and monster movement take effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elCaptain wrote:
I have come across this card twice now whilst playing CotDP, and i am finally turning to BGG to get your opinions on how it should be dealt with, or what the creators intentions would have been...

Here is my short re-cap of this Rumour for those who dont know it by name.

1) Place 5 doom tokens on this card
2)Every Mythos Phase, move one token from this card to the terror track and increase the terror level by 1
3)Any player may exhaust an Exhibit Item or discard a Unique item to negate both effects

Pass: If there are no doom tokens on the terror track when the last token is removed...

Fail: If there -are- doom tokens on the terror track when the last token is removed...

My problem is that at face value it seems like the effects that are negated by exhausting/discarding include the removal of doom tokens from the card! Therefore the pass condition can never be met! The way the card reads, the 2 conditions appear to be
1: Move doom token to terror track
2: Raise terror level

Now it seems unlikely that the designers would make an unpassable rumour that lists a pass condition, but it might just be another of Cthulus evil plots, and perhaps this terrible rumour is meant to hang over our heads until a new one enters the game... I wouldnt be surprised, knowing those GOO's! Tempting us with the slightest hope...

Obviously i use my own discretion during the actual game, but what do you think? Is this just badly worded, or is it meant to be a really really tough card?

Surely the "both effects" that you're negating are putting the doom token on the terror track and increasing the terror level.

You're not negating removing the doom counter from the rumor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats what I assumed. However the text says:

"...every mythos phase after the first, move one doom token from this card to the terror track and increase the terror level by 1. "

It is a little ambiguous, and i was mainly wondering if people shared my interpretation that a token is removed no matter what, or if anyone was (bravely) sticking to the exact text.

I think that it could turn a fairly winnable expansion into a really difficult one if this rumour was left hanging over the heads of the investigators for the entire game. It might also fit theme-wise if it suddenly turns out that the Exhibit Items are permanently cursed and made unusable by the forces of evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've encountered this scenario the first time we got this rumor.
We play that the "negation" results in the doom token being removed from the rumor. Otherwise, the rumor would be un-passable and at best would continue ad infinitum. The rumor should be over five turns after it comes into play, and you either have the terror level go up a bunch or you don't.

Now, if you want to talk rumors that can't be passed...pick up a copy of the King in Yellow expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elCaptain wrote:

Just played CODP for the first time yesterday and this one came up. Which Exhibit Items are considered "exhautible" for purposes of negating the effects? Any of them? And since the effect only occurs in the Mythos phase, can't you just "refresh" the item on the very next upkeep phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bill_andel wrote:
elCaptain wrote:

Just played CODP for the first time yesterday and this one came up. Which Exhibit Items are considered "exhautible" for purposes of negating the effects? Any of them? And since the effect only occurs in the Mythos phase, can't you just "refresh" the item on the very next upkeep phase?

You can only "exhaust" an Exhibit Item that has the word "exhaust" in it. The only Exhibit Items that have the word "exhaust" in them are the 5 Mask cards. As you'll notice on the card text, once these items are exhausted, they are not refreshed but instead stay in effect for X rounds, where X is your current Sanity level when you first exhaust it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
bill_andel wrote:
elCaptain wrote:

You can only "exhaust" an Exhibit Item that has the word "exhaust" in it. The only Exhibit Items that have the word "exhaust" in them are the 5 Mask cards. As you'll notice on the card text, once these items are exhausted, they are not refreshed but instead stay in effect for X rounds, where X is your current Sanity level when you first exhaust it.

From what I recall from seeing those cards, they put tokens on themselves, and go away in an upkeep where they are out of tokens, so they would disappear right after that, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Arborshate wrote:
From what I recall from seeing those cards, they put tokens on themselves, and go away in an upkeep where they are out of tokens, so they would disappear right after that, anyway.

Yep, that's correct. The tokens you put on them is equal to your Sanity at the time you exhaust it. Then the clock starts ticking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.