Recommend
24 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Top 100 Analysis January 22, 2008 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ranking [+] stats [+] Analysis [+] [View All]
JonMichael Rasmus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a desperate attempt to clone quality game, here's my new idea: Guam (or maybe, American Samoa)

You should see my little sis:
THE TOP 100
Prime Movers
Brass +15 #69

Falling Stars
NONE

Hot Lava Birth
Time's Up! #99

Top Ten Trends
Age of Steam +1 #9
Shogun -1 #10

Top 5 Winning Movers
War of the Ring (Second Week!)
Race for the Galaxy
Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Struggle of Empires

New Highest Peaks
Race for the Galaxy #21
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization #35
StarCraft: The Board Game #57
Brass #69
Here I Stand #87

WARGAMES
Prime Movers
NONE

Falling Stars
NONE

Hot Lava Birth
A Victory Lost #24

Top Ten Trends
EastFront II +1 #5
Twilight Struggle -1 #6
This Hallowed Ground +2 #9
Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944 -1 #10

OTHER CHARTS
Top Ten Co-operative Play Games for January 22, 2008
1. Arkham Horror - Dunwich Horror Expansion
2. Arkham Horror
3. Descent: Journeys in the Dark
4. Arkham Horror - Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Expansion
5. Fury of Dracula
6. Republic of Rome, The
7. Shadows over Camelot
8. CATAN 3D Collector's Edition
9. Lord of the Rings - Friends & Foes
10. Last Night on Earth, The Zombie Game

Small Run and New Games
1. Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #3
2. Napoleon's Triumph
3. HeroScape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro
4. Great Battles of Alexander, The: Deluxe Edition
5. Shifting Sands
6. Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972
7. Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945
8. Ardennes '44
9. Silent War
10. Totaler Krieg!

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

Brass continues its long slow ascent up the chart, as befits a slightly longer and more in depth Wallace game. Meanwhile, Agricola has camped out at #8, but looks like it might climb higher next week. RftG is also moving heavenward. When Settlers costs $300, I guessing buying it makes it a co-operative game. (Or maybe Cities and Knights is co-operative because you fight off the barbarians?)

Have a good week.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Princes of Florence and Agricola are both poised at 7.92 (#'s 7 and 8 respectively) and the Agricola wave is still moving. It doesn't seem right that a timeless classic like PoF is about to be shoved down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Princes of Florence and Agricola are both poised at 7.92 (#'s 7 and 8 respectively) and the Agricola wave is still moving. It doesn't seem right that a timeless classic like PoF is about to be shoved down.


Agricola shouldn't even be in the Top 100, it hasn't even been released stateside yet. I'm not trying to start a pissfest, but that's just the way it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, because the opinions of citizens of the USA are the only things that should count for anything on this siteshake

You know, some USA gamers have played Agricola and they like it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cullen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Princes of Florence and Agricola are both poised at 7.92 (#'s 7 and 8 respectively) and the Agricola wave is still moving. It doesn't seem right that a timeless classic like PoF is about to be shoved down.


One persons classic is another persons snoozefest. I can appreciate what PoF brought when it came out, but relative rankings of games that are based purely on enjoyment of a game matter little, this isn't a hall of fame. If we want "classics" then get bridge, chess and go in the top 10.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Princes of Florence and Agricola are both poised at 7.92 (#'s 7 and 8 respectively) and the Agricola wave is still moving. It doesn't seem right that a timeless classic like PoF is about to be shoved down.


Agricola shouldn't even be in the Top 100, it hasn't even been released stateside yet. I'm not trying to start a pissfest, but that's just the way it is.




So how many games on the top 100 haven't you played yet? I guess they also don't belong there? Just because you haven't played them, or unable to, doesn't mean they aren't getting played.

Agricola is a bad ass game. One I'd rather play than Princes of Florence, and I like PoF. I own it, and I live stateside.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Yeah, because the opinions of citizens of the USA are the only things that should count for anything on this siteshake

You know, some USA gamers have played Agricola and they like it.


That wasn't my point. My point was that the distribution of the game is so low that for it to reach mass market appeal and shoot to the top is ludicrous. I'm not denying it's a good game, but is it so good it can skyrocket up the charts as it has been?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The top 100 should be games with mass market appeal? I was under the impression that they were niche games in a niche hobby. YMMV.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one gamer that hopes the top 100 is never about mass market appeal.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
I'm not denying it's a good game, but is it so good it can skyrocket up the charts as it has been?


Doesn't that answer itself? If it couldn't, then how has it?

The relatively small number of ratings makes the climb more impressive in that it is resisting the weight of the Bayesian dummy votes with far fewer scores than any of the other Top 10 games.

-MMM
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
The top 100 should be games with mass market appeal? I was under the impression that they were niche games in a niche hobby. YMMV.


Mass market meaning a good chunk of the board game enthusiast market, not the mass market of every consumer. If the latter was the standard by which to judge games, then Monopoly would be rated #1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
The top 100 should be games with mass market appeal? I was under the impression that they were niche games in a niche hobby. YMMV.


Mass market meaning a good chunk of the board game enthusiast market, not the mass market of every consumer. If the latter was the standard by which to judge games, then Monopoly would be rated #1.


A good chunk of the board game enthusiast market lives in Germany. They don't call them German-style board games for nothing. Look at the large number of German flags amongst the Agricola ratings.

A good chunk of the board game enthusiast market went to Essen, or knows somebody who did. I haven't played it yet, but I've seen it several times and fully expect that I'll play it before the Z-Man version hits the streets. I suspect there's only one or two copies in my area, but that's enough for many people to have played the game many times.

Agricola has nearly 800 ratings. There are quite a number of games in the top 100 that have fewer ratings than that. No doubt it will get more ratings once it hits stores in the USA. But that doesn't mean that the ratings already in place are somehow tainted. Personally, I expect it will go up some more before it goes down.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I_ G
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
jeffwolfe wrote:
A good chunk of the board game enthusiast market lives in Germany. They don't call them German-style board games for nothing. Look at the large number of German flags amongst the Agricola ratings.

A good chunk of the board game enthusiast market went to Essen, or knows somebody who did. I haven't played it yet, but I've seen it several times and fully expect that I'll play it before the Z-Man version hits the streets. I suspect there's only one or two copies in my area, but that's enough for many people to have played the game many times.

It's even available from one of the online vendors that advertise on this site.

But the main point, as you said, is that the game is readily available in Europe, and many people on this site own and played it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola has more logged games than Shogun or Die Macher. People are playing it. *I've* played it and I live in the US.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Agricola is a bad ass game.


Please sir, never tell me about your good ass games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Agricola has more logged games than Shogun or Die Macher. People are playing it. *I've* played it and I live in the US.

Because as we know, everyone logs every play, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.