Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday game night for gamerwife and I. I had just learned 1960 over the weekend playing as Kennedy vs. my dad, so I thought playing as Nixon vs. Jen after teaching her would be a fun time.

During the first few turns I was able to score support in California before heading east and securing Illinois and Ohio. She stayed in the East before heading south - only gaining 4 support in NY (3 in PA)

I quickly gained media support in the East and Midwest so I was able to hold off her campaigning in Ohio and Illinois for a while. Also, I was able to break her down in NY and while she was out west, I took over NY with a 5 cube lead. She came back though and was able to keep PA locked up with a 4 cube lead.

We both fought back and forth on issues, gaining momentums - but she failed to gain notable endorsements. I was being endorsed out west, so I didn't worry about campaigning in some of the smaller states out there. It felt like I had a slight edge in state support going into the debates, but that would change.

She had bulked up her cubes on the issue track going into the debates, so I was down early. I also had campaign strategy cards that were beneficial to her down. I was able, however, to win one of the 3 issues on the board and won 4 support cubes to her 5. The debate wasn't as big a disaster for Nixon here as it was historically.

During turns 7 and 8, I picked up a few good cards for election day including PA. I rested and bulked up on issues in the hopes of winning initiative on election day and possibly support checking her out of PA. I got her lead down to a manageable 2 in PA but I was unable to win initiative. Despite that, I was able to fight her off in NY and hold those votes.

The big turnaround was her last card and my first. Her last card was North Dakota. I had 1 cube in ND. She defeated me in support checks 7-2. Oh no, I lose all 4 of those electoral votes! But at least MY red cubes were still in the bag. When it was my turn to play my cards, there were only 10 cubes left in the bag and she had only 2 cubes in PA. The support check went 3 red, 2-1 red, 2-1 red.

So while the real election was won in Illinois, this shakeup of American history was won in the Keystone State. I like to think it's because it's my home state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.