Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitris Dranidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tichu Friends,

I was looking for a good memory method so that I can remember all the important cards that have been played or, the other way round, all the cards that are still in play. I did not find anything so I came with a system of my own which I would like to share with you.

Important cards in order of priority are:

Ph, Dr, the 4 Aces and the 4 Kings.

My mnemonic system remembers which of the important cards still remain in play.

I use tens for remembering the Kings and ones for remembering the Aces. So if there are still 2 Kings and 3 Aces in play I remember that with the number 23. At the beginning of the game, since all 8 cards are out there, I start with 44. Each time a King is thrown a subtract 10 and when an Ace is thrown I subtract 1.

For remembering the remaining Ph and Dr I use the words: both, dragon, phoenix, none or the initials b,d,p,n.

An example:

I start with:
44both
A King is played. I subtract 10:
34both
An Ace is played. I subtract 1:
33both
The Dragon is played. So only the phoenix remains:
33phoenix
Two Kings are played. I subtract 20:
13phoenix
The Phoenix is played:
13none
Three Aces are played. I subtract 3:
10none
The last King is down:
none

Someone might ask why count Kings with tens and Aces with ones and not the other way round. My answer is extensibility. If you simply want to count only the Aces (and not the Kings) you can still use the same system (Aces will still be ones). If you want to count the Queens also, you do not need to change the way you count Kings and Aces. Use hundreds for Queens. 342both is interpreted as 3 Queens, 4 Kings, 2 Aces, Dr, and Ph still in play.

If you have suggestions for other systems or for improvements of this one I would be glad to read them.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other cards that I count are tens and fives, for two reasons...

1. both are point scoring cards
2. one or the other is required to be present in any straight. Thus if all 10's are gone, you know that the highest straight possible is a 5-6-7-8-9. Knowing if all fives are gone or not is helpful in knowing if someone may be able to lead a low straight when you hold a high one. Keep in mind that the Phoenix is wild, however.

I keep my mental count as follows:

A4/K4/T4/F4/P/D - All cards I track are still unplayed

As a card is played, reduce it's number, or drop it's letter if it is the Phoenix or the Dragon or a category has reached 0. So late int he game, I might have a count like:

A1/K1/T3 - There remains 1 Ace, 1 King, and 3 Tens in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch Phoenix, Dragon and A, K, Q.

I don't have to count P, D and it is not hard to remember whether they are in or out -- they can be easily remembered based upon their figure.

Q, K and A are counted as they played. No ten or hundred; all of them are a single one digit number, growing from zero to 4 as they played.

So if 2 Kings and 1 Queen played, my numbers are:
120. And without any number, I always know that Dragon and Phoenix are played or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other cards you may want to consider watching are 10s and 6s. And you want to know which suit they are.

Why? Every straight flush bomb contains at least either a 6 or a 10.

Lowest possible SF bomb = 23456. Highest = TJQKA. Highest bomb without a 10 = 56789, lowest bomb without a 6 = 789TJ.

so if I see all 4 sixes and all 4 tens, I know there are no SF bombs around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I count from the top down, like:
DP44(etc if desired).

If dragon is played, now its P44. An ace is played, so its P34.

Also, I already subtract from this cards in my hand, so I am only counting cards left in the hands of other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.