Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Starcraft, all the flying units are considered to be "space fairing," but in the boardgame, not so. Fluff wise, I guess you could say it's "too far" to fly alone, like they need to be refueled by transports along the way or something...

I was just wondering how broken it would be to allow flying units to travel between planets without transports. I guess it would allow for some surprise attacks because you wouldn't need to build a transport and warn your enemy first, but also having flying units and an order on the planet over is a pretty good warning sign.

Would this overpower flying units completely? I mean there's only like 3 of each maximum in the game anyway. Maybe this would increase the value of the anti-air defense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the designers (I think it was Corey) mentioned a while ago on the FFG forums that at one stage of development flying units did not indeed need transports. Apparently this caused some balance issues (although it was not elaborated what these issues were), so transports ended up the way they are in the finished game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent' played without requiring transports for flying units, but I suspect if you change the rule, flying units would probably become the "staple" of the game - rather than spend time/resources worrying about transports, you'd just fly in. Sure, there are only 3 of each type, but can you imagine 3 Protoss Carriers flying from planet to planet without having anything between them?

I think part of the reason for the "transports" rule is that it partially requires you to have a "base" nearby when attacking (since you can't build transports without them). Otherwise, a group of flying units could go on a rampage far from home (and with the Protoss, using Arbiters, they could teleport NON-Flyers in as well!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thematic explanation is that the transports are specially designed ones that are capable of interplanetary flight, while the flying units are really just designed for local atmospheric or maybe orbital operation, not traveling that kind of distance. The designers felt that choosing familiar icons for the transports made more sense than inventing new ones, even if that did mean things were a little out-of-proportion, since by SC:tVG standards, a tiny shuttle could never hold a carrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scuzball wrote:
In Starcraft, all the flying units are considered to be "space fairing," but in the boardgame, not so. Fluff wise, I guess you could say it's "too far" to fly alone, like they need to be refueled by transports along the way or something...

I was just wondering how broken it would be to allow flying units to travel between planets without transports. I guess it would allow for some surprise attacks because you wouldn't need to build a transport and warn your enemy first, but also having flying units and an order on the planet over is a pretty good warning sign.

Would this overpower flying units completely? I mean there's only like 3 of each maximum in the game anyway. Maybe this would increase the value of the anti-air defense

On what are you basing the claim that all Starcraft flying units are space faring? The PC game does not have interplanetary travel during scenarios (that I remember).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
In early playtest versions, fliers could enter the spaces between planets, then move to other planets, and even attack the transports and battle in space. Those rules needed work, but I was a bit dismayed when I found out that fliers were simply going to be stuck planet-side. However, the final rules are significantly cleaner and play much better without worrying about space movement and combat. In the end, it was a very good design decision.

Thematically, I consider transports to be an established navigation route and supply line. The fliers may get there under their own power, but no without fuel and supplies along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
In early playtest versions, fliers could enter the spaces between planets, then move to other planets, and even attack the transports and battle in space. Those rules needed work, but I was a bit dismayed when I found out that fliers were simply going to be stuck planet-side. However, the final rules are significantly cleaner and play much better without worrying about space movement and combat. In the end, it was a very good design decision.

Thematically, I consider transports to be an established navigation route and supply line. The fliers may get there under their own power, but no without fuel and supplies along the way.

I would guess that the transports also provide navigational assistance as well. If flyers could leapfrog planets without transports, the game would become a race to build them. To re-balance it you'd have to make flyers much more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I thought is that large flying units like carriers can be allowed to intercept space ship comming to their planet. Make some sort of pre-battle before the landing occur. It would allow the ships to weaken the attacking force before it land. Carrier would also protect the whole planet not just 1 territory. Still I would only allow 1 unit per faction to have this special ability, not all flying units.

Buy the way, building transport is no big deal, it only cost 1 crystal, and it can be hardly destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
One thing that I thought is that large flying units like carriers can be allowed to intercept space ship comming to their planet. Make some sort of pre-battle before the landing occur. It would allow the ships to weaken the attacking force before it land. Carrier would also protect the whole planet not just 1 territory. Still I would only allow 1 unit per faction to have this special ability, not all flying units.

Buy the way, building transport is no big deal, it only cost 1 crystal, and it can be hardly destroyed.

Even if this only happened with one unit per faction, it would definitely increase the "turtling" potential of the game, which I'm grateful this game doesn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
On what are you basing the claim that all Starcraft flying units are space faring? The PC game does not have interplanetary travel during scenarios (that I remember).
Many of the cutscenes in the PC game show the flying units traveling between planets or in orbit around a planet.

One issue that would come up with flying units moving without transports would be base building using only flying units. When you have a transport supporting the units, it is assumed that an SVC/drone/probe is brought along so you may build a base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.