Subject: Three Player Game Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Richardson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have started up a new gaming group that plays on Tuesday night, and I have a question about tonight's gaming.

Tonight the group is only going to include three players. After a steady diet of Power Grid (which they love) and other middle to heavier weight Euro Games, I was planning on springing something longer on them tonight (which they are up for).

I have narrowed it down to two (or three choices):

Die Macher - which will be new to all of us, but I think I have a good understanding of the rules thanks to the BGWS video. The problem is that I am not sure this plays well with three players.

1830 - One of my favorites, and IMO a heavier version of Power Grid with a stock combat round.

I was also thinking about Friedrich, which I hear plays well with three.

I hope to get all of these games to that table in other weeks when there are more players, so my questions are as follows:

1) Is Die Macher good enough with three players,
2) Should I wait to play Die Macher with 4/5 newbies or would it be useful to have a few of us with a game under our belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those sound like a great time with three, but for an intial learning game it might be worthwhile.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that none of your friends have work on Wednesday mornings? All of those are 4-7 hour games... potentially far more in the case of 1830 with newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise against playing a game that nobody has played and is purported to be long and/or complex on a week night. 3 players isn't a bad number, but it's easy to burn a fair amount of time going through the rules, and stack on top of that a slow couple of first rounds and the initial "think" time to wrap your head around the strategy in a new game.

I realise that you don't have either of these games, but I think a next logical step in the direction you want to take them would be Shogun or Starcraft. Both of those play well with 3, are pretty long, and heavier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
1830 plays a great 3. It is better with 4, but it plays a great 3. I wouldn't expect to finish the game on your first play of an evening. Make sure to use poker chips instead of the paper money -- they speed the game considerably.

Age of Steam has several notably good 3 player maps (Ireland, Japan, London, etc).

Indonesia plays a fine three, but again is better with 4. Most of the same caveats from 1830 apply to Indonesia as well.

Neuland (tough to find but being reprinted) is excellent with three. Roads & Boats (only slightly difficult to find) also does a fine 3 player experience, tho rather less confrontational than Neuland.

Through the Ages and Antiquity are also fine three player games, albeit not to my taste.

I'm not a fan of the other games mentioned (Friedrich, Die Macher, Shogun or Starcraft) and so wont' comment there except to note that I wouldn't consider Shogun and Starcraft to be particularly heavy or challenging. Both are middle to lower challenge affairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Richardson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well we played 1830, as they liked the theme better than Die Macher.

The game took about 3.5 hours because one of the players went BK when Diesels came out. In the next game I will use a spreadsheet to keep track of the payouts, which should help keep the play time reasonable. They seemed to like it and they want to try it again.

I will be springing Die Macher on them next week as we will have more players. I also gave them a link to the BGWS video, which should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Edwards Jr
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoompet wrote:
Well we played 1830, as they liked the theme better than Die Macher.

The game took about 3.5 hours because one of the players went BK when Diesels came out. In the next game I will use a spreadsheet to keep track of the payouts, which should help keep the play time reasonable. They seemed to like it and they want to try it again.

I will be springing Die Macher on them next week as we will have more players. I also gave them a link to the BGWS video, which should help.

Being one of the three that night it was enjoyable! I look forward to our gathering increasing. Last night for example we had three to start and four for the second game. Both of which were power grid. We play the American map then the Italian map. Great thanks to Zoompet to hosting these events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.