Aka Six
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools

Setup: 30 minutes
The setup time was greatly reduced from 1 hour from our first few games to the 4th time we played this game. We laid everything out in the big table we had.

Duration: 6 hours (2 days)
The game lasted from 8:00pm to 11:00pm on Sunday. We started playing again on Monday from 2:00pm to 5:00pm. We dropped the playtime from the everlasting 8+ hours. Part of the reason why we played so long is because we didn’t fully “comprehend” our character sheets, which meant that we had times where we would think what actions to take and such. I think 6 hours is the sweet spot for playing this game over a course of two days.

Part of the reason why time was reduced by more than 2 hours is because we laid out the monsters OUT of its plastic Ziploc bags and into the table (we had the space). It was a lot easier to setup quests and rewards.

Teams
We played a 4-player game, for the Horde were the Priest + Warrior. For the Alliance were the Mage and Rogue Class.

Early Game:
I played the Horde Warrior of the team. In the beginning, instead of taking the town action and training up for spells, my teammate and I decided to go out hunting naked. We decided to do this so we can get an advantage over EXP over the alliance. We were planning on taking them “head on” for an early pvp kill. Not only that, we needed more gold for the costly spells we had to buy. Fight now, relax later. We easily beat the long Gnoll near our town.

The alliance on the other hand took their first action as a town action and started loading themselves up with spells as usual. They spent their travel action right adjacent to the town for a monster to kill on the next turn. They obviously loaded up their spells and such during the end of their character management.

My teammate and I giggled because we were both already up by two exp each (total of 4 exp lead) and 9 gold each while the other team had not even started fighting yet. At one point we were level 2 and the alliance had not even have 1 exp.

The process repeated over and over. As boring as it sounds, it’s not the case. Time flew by really fast and before we knew it, it was already 11 pm. We were all tired and sleepy so we left the gameboard out there in the dark until the next day.

MidGame
The next day we started playing again and went back to where we left off. There was a point in the game where we were lacking nearby quest creatures. We’ve done two dungeons already, the shadowfang keep and the Scarlet Monastary.

The alliances were doing normal quests as usual. They traveled out into the Outlands before we did. They started to catch up on exp and started stacking up powerful items.

The horde made a capitalizing mistake by going into the dungeon on the Yellow in the original board (strathlome or scholomance?) instead of using the dungeon in the Caer Darrow. This gave the opportunity for the alliance to finally surpass our EXP. The horde also started taking a lot more town actions as usual.

End Game
The horde was the first to go to the Lady Vashj dungeon and reached level 6 first .The alliance followed level 6 on the following turn. We were already in the level 2 dungeon when the alliance entered the first dungeon.

We defeated Lady Vashj and won the game.
After the game, we decided to do a PVP and we whooped the Alliance’s butt.

Great play! Very satisfying! And the downtime wasn’t “enough” time. There were times were I wanted the Alliance to take a longer turn because I was thinking about my next plan. Instead, the turn was given back to the horde and during my character actions, I would think what to do. The turns are there for a reason, use them to your advantage and don’t stay idle EVER in this game! It will payback later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great battle was fought, so just head out fighting right off the bat seems like the game plan for WC. THanks for sharing, I have wondered about this game for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Tremblay
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
i hate lady vashj, if you don't have a mage on your side, you are aleready dead against that overpowered "vache" ooops i mean vashj...!! blushDD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a really fun session of WoW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martti R
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
Rock'n'roll
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you elaborate on how you actually destroyed Vashj? How did you overcome her ability to give you curse tokens after each roll of 1 or 2?

If you have a large dice pool then you are going to get a lot of curse tokens which basically nullifies your hits on her, because you need to remove the number of damage tokens equal to the count of bad dice rolls (equal to 1&2 rolls).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dotmrt wrote:
Could you elaborate on how you actually destroyed Vashj? How did you overcome her ability to give you curse tokens after each roll of 1 or 2?

If you have a large dice pool then you are going to get a lot of curse tokens which basically nullifies your hits on her, because you need to remove the number of damage tokens equal to the count of bad dice rolls (equal to 1&2 rolls).

Our Mage had the power to remove curse tokens. Round 1 my Hunter got 9(!) of them and he got 3. He "cured" me (and I took the damage,) then we kicked her butt on round 2.

I believe there are also powers that let you remove 1's and 2's...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Namely, the mage power "Dispel", which works great in conjunction with Arcane Instability.

Usually with the Huntard, you end up with a minimum of 4 blue 8's that do double damage. The same goes for the Warlock. At a certain point, the red and green dice become a liability, since your character alone does on average, 10-16 direct damage. Due to the timing of her rolls, you may also opt to use your re-rolls and Hunter's Mark x2, and Pet Tiger x2 to raise the values above 2, or bump more blue dice into more double damage. That sort of decision sometimes puts the Hunter as the last roller, unless he has Expose Weakness for a 3 player team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.