10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: designing your own game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laura Elliott-Jones
msg tools
hey all!!

just wondering how you get ideas of what sort of game designs to use? Why do you think some games work better than others?

Laura
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be anything.

Could start with a grpahic, a theme, a rule, a budget, a dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I start with what I think might be an interesting problem. Then I figure out a way to measure incremental progress toward solving that problem (ie a scoring method). Next is determining methods that might be used to solve that problem (ie mechanisms). Then go back to the problem, the scoring and the mechanisms and iterate, refining each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Play a few games and you start saying "That game was good, but how could it be better?" or "I sure do love ice fishing. How come nobody's made a game about it?" and the next thing you know you're obsessed with your own game design.

The next logical step in a hobby is the desire to create and contribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I start with an existing game design, try to improve it and end up with doing something alike but from scratch.

A friend of mine thinks up abstract shapes and then tries to form a game out of putting them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The inspiration for my one completed design came from a fictional game described in a novel.

Why do some games work better than others? The answer is probably the same as for any product. Put together a designer with imagination, plus analytical and problem solving skills, testers to stretch the design to breaking point, and developers who can bring fresh ideas to refine the design. Add a publisher who gives the game the quality of production it deserves. You'll probably have something that at least some people at BGG will like a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like when I write characters, I start with a situation -- a problem. Then I ask the question ... "What if ... X ... was done in a ... Y ... way."

For instance, what if you took the train game design and applied it to shipping and trade in the Roman World? How would it work? What would you need? What would simplify the gameplay?

So, I generally start out with a High Concept. My version is a Theme with a Problem. This, in itself, generates too many ideas that I need to edit as I go.

Hope this makes some sort of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only ever design wargames, so it's always "Which rules will make this conflict play out the way I want it to."

I'm working on some Star Wars fleet combat rules at the moment (since the minis rules are poor, but the minis are lovely). So it's all about getting it to play out like it does in the movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of sources for game ideas...

Sometimes it starts with a message I want to deliver:
* Enlightened capitalism can coexist with environmental responsibility.
* Animal testing must make no sense to the animals being tested.

Sometimes it starts with a nifty mechanic:
* What if you had a bidding game where you bid dice, then roll those dice to determine your final bid?

Sometimes it starts with a "game feel" goal:
* I want to make a game where you start with a pool of resources and use them to build spaceships that you send into battle against your opponent.
* I want to build a diceless skirmish game with role-playing elements.
* I want to build a cooperative adventure game that plays well with 1 to 4 players.

Sometimes I take a game and just add a twist to it:
* What kind of special powers could you tack on to the different sides in a game of checkers?
* Imagine a Memory tile game, but you can cash in certain pairs for special effects.

Why do some games work better than others?
Aside from easy answers (like play balance, difficulty vs. reward, etc.), a subtle but important thing that makes a game good is making design decisions with the understanding that the mechanics you pick create the consensual metaphysical structure of the game being played. In short: The rules and components you pick create the *reality* of the game world. There's a big difference between the results from a d20 rolled 20 times, 3d6 + 1d2 rolled 20 times, and drawing 20 cards from a deck of cards numbered 1 to 20 one at a time. Each one of these implies a different odds structure and will have a significant effect on how the game plays out. Some games that do not play well pick the wrong "tools" for the job. The wrong tools create results which clash with the game's theme or structure, resulting in dissonance, imbalance, or dissatisfying game results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb

I start all my designs with a clove of garlic and some ordinary household bleach.

Maybe I don't understand your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.